Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt no longer processing BRGs over the phone, new online form

Old May 22, 2014, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others

Just tried to process a Hyatt BRG and they've implemented a new system. Phone number has disappeared off their website and it's been replaced by a form at http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/specials/...gClaimPage.jsp.

Called in to inquire about this since I had the number saved and I was told that the change was rolled out today. Claims will be processed after they're submitted without any details on how long the process will take. Also was told that they won't offer any protection on prepaid rates, and if a website offers a refundable rate that's more expensive than Hyatt's prepaid rate, the claim won't be considered valid. In other words, this claim won't work:

Amoma refundable: $149
Hyatt prepaid: $145
Hyatt refundable: $179

This is a pretty substantial change, given how efficient the Hyatt BRG program had been in terms of instant confirmation.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Terrible change.

FAQ says they will respond within 24 hours. http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/customer-...-guarantee.jsp
Old May 22, 2014, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
They're also asking for a screenshot of the rate (in JPG/PDF form only), which should hopefully defend some against rate fluctuations between the time the rate appears and the time the Hyatt rep books it. But it's much different from the instant confirmation that came with the old system. The rep told me that it would be a much easier system for both parties. I can't say that I agree.
Old May 22, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by steveholt
They're also asking for a screenshot of the rate (in JPG/PDF form only), which should hopefully defend some against rate fluctuations between the time the rate appears and the time the Hyatt rep books it. But it's much different from the instant confirmation that came with the old system. The rep told me that it would be a much easier system for both parties. I can't say that I agree.
The screenshot of the rate we submit "will not" protect us at all.

Read on:
"When you submit an online claim form, you will be asked to provide the URL where the lower rate was found, and a screenshot showing the lower rate on the competing website. A Hyatt.com representative will attempt to validate availability of the lower rate, and verify that it complies with the Terms and Conditions of the guarantee. If the rate is no longer available, the guarantee will not apply."

That means for up to 24 hours the rate we submit has to stay the same.
We can almost be sure that if several claims are received for the same property, the competitive rate will be corrected after the first claim and the claims that immediately follow will be denied.

A solution would be for the claim to be handled within two hours and if a claim is not handled within that time, then the rate on the screenshot should be validated.
Old May 22, 2014, 12:19 pm

I've done a few successful BRG and if I remember correctly I was on the phone for 30+ minutes. So I can see how it may be taking a lot of resources to process these.
Old May 22, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I've done a few successful BRG and if I remember correctly I was on the phone for 30+ minutes. So I can see how it may be taking a lot of resources to process these.
A BRG should not take 30+ minutes.

The majority of my BRGs took 10+ minutes. When the agents took 30+ minutes there was either something wrong with their website, they needed help or they were just incompetent and by that I mean refusing to validate what another agent found to be a perfectly valid claim.
Old May 22, 2014, 5:40 pm

Wow this is a TERRIBLE change. Big

My BRGs all took 10, 15 minutes tops.
Old May 22, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I am on the phone with them now and they are flat out refusing to take a BRG over the phone, and wont honor a rate that is on a screen shot if when processed the room is no longer on the site...seems like they just made the BRG worthless.
Old May 22, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I pushed for a supervisor, and was told that for now, they will still process BRGs over the phone. She has informed the rep that gave me the wrong information that for now this is still allowed, but they don't know how much longer that will be true.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:25 pm

Shame
Old May 22, 2014, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
The BRG phone number is still available from the Google cache, if you have forgotten/lost it.
Old May 23, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
So BRG is saying that they can only do one over the phone if it's within 72 hours of arrival. Or else, it's the online form.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I don't mind the change. Perhaps that's because on my first attempt with Hyatt I got a $299 a night hotel reduced to $85.

I sent in the request last night and it was approved by the morning.

I've always been put off by having to spend ages on the phone with Hyatt and reports of agents doing their best to not find the competing rate...
Old May 23, 2014, 11:33 am

At least you still don't need an existing reservation to do a BRG. Any other chains allow that? (Looks like SPG does. Dunno about others, but I'm sure some don't.)

Nothing more annoying than only one room of a particular type left, with a lower price elsewhere. So you book it to do a BRG, but then since it was the last room, the room disappears from the competing site and no BRG is possible.
Old May 23, 2014, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lawyertalk
So BRG is saying that they can only do one over the phone if it's within 72 hours of arrival. Or else, it's the online form.
When I first called yesterday, they told me within 24 hours. So maybe this is a pushback on that policy (or a sign of where they expect the return time to eventually fall).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.