Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Regency Club/Honor Bar = Loss Leader?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite

I've always considered once to be an anomaly, twice to be a trend. I'm paraphrasing, but the below is what I have now been told twice by Regency Club managers at two of the largest Hyatts in the US:

The entire Regency Club experience is a loss leader for Hyatt. They sell it as a paid upgrade, but virtually no one buys it. It is designed to be a reward for Hyatt's best customers, hopefully to be a differentiator and drive repeat business. Regarding the honor bar, management would prefer to make it free like it is at many international properties, but this would violate many states' liquor laws. Making all drinks $1 was discussed, but there was concern that this could create a frat party like atmosphere in some situations. So they decided to post some nominal prices ($4 wine/beer, $5 cocktails, etc) and leave it at that. They will shrug and charge your room if you fill out a card, but their expectation is that most of the alcohol will be comped.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Before I get called out as a dishonorable honor bar patron, I have always filled out a card in the past. Indeed, tonight when I was told this again, I was in the process of handing in my card
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
This does not make sense...

management would prefer to make it free like it is at many international properties, but this would violate many states' liquor laws. Making all drinks $1 was discussed, but there was concern that this could create a frat party like atmosphere in some situations...

The frat party atmosphere would happen if the drinks are free, $1 or $4. If Airline clubs like American Airlines Admirals Club can offer free house wines and beer at all their domestic clubs, why can't Hyatt?

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ralsDining.jsp

Drinks from the club normally get removed from my bill... but Hyatt domestic Regency Clubs leave a lot to be desired, the offerings are horrible. I prefer the 2,500 club close bonus.

Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
I've always considered once to be an anomaly, twice to be a trend. I'm paraphrasing, but the below is what I have now been told twice by Regency Club managers at two of the largest Hyatts in the US:

The entire Regency Club experience is a loss leader for Hyatt. They sell it as a paid upgrade, but virtually no one buys it. It is designed to be a reward for Hyatt's best customers, hopefully to be a differentiator and drive repeat business. Regarding the honor bar, management would prefer to make it free like it is at many international properties, but this would violate many states' liquor laws. Making all drinks $1 was discussed, but there was concern that this could create a frat party like atmosphere in some situations. So they decided to post some nominal prices ($4 wine/beer, $5 cocktails, etc) and leave it at that. They will shrug and charge your room if you fill out a card, but their expectation is that most of the alcohol will be comped.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Before I get called out as a dishonorable honor bar patron, I have always filled out a card in the past. Indeed, tonight when I was told this again, I was in the process of handing in my card
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:30 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
You have to pay for drinks in US Regency Clubs? That's just tacky.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:04 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
This doesn't surprise me. Here in WA they're required to have a server so it makes sense that the charge goes through. In other states I fill out the card. Sometimes I see a charge and sometimes I don't.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:21 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
This does not make sense...

If Airline clubs like American Airlines Admirals Club can offer free house wines and beer at all their domestic clubs, why can't Hyatt?
Good point. I would imagine there would not be an issue in the vast majority of states. After all, while there may be a few exceptions (though I'm not aware of any off the top of my head), drinks are generally complimentary in the Ritz-Carlton clubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.