Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Is This Normal Diamond Treatment???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Switched over from Hilton Honors last year since I heard how great the Hyatt customer service was.

So I had a few personal trips planned during this Endless Nights Promotion redemption period so I selected the Free Room Nights vs. the points. Now I find out that none of the properties I could use on numerous dates have no Reward Availability. Even though I could get a room by paying for it; it's not available since it's not the "basic" room (it was a deluxe room).

The Diamond rep seriously told me to just switch my vacation plans to find something that worked. Told me there was no option to switch back (which I understand the fine print indicates this) and no extension to carry these into a period in which I'm traveling again.

Oh well...guess I'm out 2 for sure and probably 3 free room nights.

I can tell you Hilton Honors never pulled something like this.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Sorry, but that's not really true. All award capacity in the hotel programs is limited.
That's why a lot of us are going for the points in this promotion, they are a lot more flexible.

And award availability is the same for all GP members. Being Diamond doesn't mean a thing there.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: 2.4mm++ AA Plat, Hlt Diam, Hyt Globaist, Mrrt Gold, Gold Pts, MilesForDreams.com, etc.. etal..
I would be curious which properties you were trying to redeem at. I chose points on this promotion because reward rooms at all properties including Hilton are limited in inventory.

Hyatt has been spectacular for my family for over a decade. I can count on one hand how many time hilton had given me a complimentary upgrade as a diamond at their properties and still have fingers left over.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:44 pm

I tried to switch too but was unable to. Sorry that you aren't able to use the nights. I suggest calling HGP and giving them some date ranges so they can give you options. Also, check back frequently as there are plenty of cancellations, lastly try writing a polite email to HGP and see if there is anything they can do for you.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UWGRAD96

I can tell you Hilton Honors never pulled something like this.
hahaha very funny...
Old Apr 5, 2014, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by azepine00
hahaha very funny...
And the policy is identical to everyone I stay with (spg, marriot, IHG). Shouldn't have been a surprise.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
And the policy is identical to everyone I stay with (spg, marriot, IHG). Shouldn't have been a surprise.
Not a surprise in any form. I knew all the rules. What is a surprise is the complete lack of customer service willingness to work something else out (i.e., transition back to points, extend deadline).

Contrary to what some of you state; Hilton was flexible...in fact I just had them rearrange and extend reward stays I couldn't use in time. At least that was my personal experience and in the end that's all the really matters.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

So you knew the limitations but now expect GP to set those aside for you because the availability doesn't fit your plans? Might as well have no T&C at all then..….

Why didn't you opt for the points if you expected flexibility? You simply seemed to have chosen poorly and now expect GP to come to your rescue. Maybe if you ask nicely they will extend the validation date with a few weeks.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
I think it is depend on which property and what time do you want to stay. It is capacity control.

I'm using my 3 free nights in GH Shanghai and got Upgraded to deluxe suite ^
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1
So you knew the limitations but now expect GP to set those aside for you because the availability doesn't fit your plans? Might as well have no T&C at all then..….

Why didn't you opt for the points if you expected flexibility? You simply seemed to have chosen poorly and now expect GP to come to your rescue. Maybe if you ask nicely they will extend the validation date with a few weeks.
No...I made an attempt to maximize the value of the rewards they offered. What I didn't expect was the booming travel markets of Tampa, Jacksonville and Milwaukee all to have no reward availability over multiple date options.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
No...I made an attempt to maximize the value of the rewards they offered.
Well, that's all we're all trying to do. But in lieu of maximizing the bonus for this particular promo, I opted to go with booking flexibility and less points. Pros and cons to both choices.

Funny thing is you aren't claiming any hidden rule or unknown requirement. You admit right up front you knew what the deal was and yet you still want them to change the terms for you. While Hilton works with you in these kind of circumstances, I don't know anyone else (spg, Marriott or IHG) that would. Once they open the door to making exceptions, they need to do it for everyone.

Spg specifically has exactly the same rules regarding only booking awards into "standard" rooms. And they've got about the best reward availability record out there.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Well, that's all we're all trying to do. But in lieu of maximizing the bonus for this particular promo, I opted to go with booking flexibility and less points. Pros and cons to both choices.

Funny thing is you aren't claiming any hidden rule or unknown requirement. You admit right up front you knew what the deal was and yet you still want them to change the terms for you. While Hilton works with you in these kind of circumstances, I don't know anyone else (spg, Marriott or IHG) that would. Once they open the door to making exceptions, they need to do it for everyone.

Spg specifically has exactly the same rules regarding only booking awards into "standard" rooms. And they've got about the best reward availability record out there.
Guess that's why the points were worth roughly 1/3 of the free room night point value...lesson learned with Hyatt. Good for Milwaukee Hyatt Regency
though...all their base rooms booked for 3 different date ranges.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Guess that's why the points were worth roughly 1/3 of the free room night point value...lesson learned with Hyatt. Good for Milwaukee Hyatt Regency
though...all their base rooms booked for 3 different date ranges.
Not sure what's going on with that property, but in my general experience award availability with Hyatt is much better than Hilton. I think you just had some bad luck. That said Hyatt has been pretty flexible with diamond members in the past but I guess with the influx of demanding hhonors gold members on challenges they've had to cut back a little on their flexibility.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
I would suggest contacting the hotel directly (reservation manager perhaps) and explaining when you would like to stay, that you want to use the free night you have earned but that customer service have said it is not available. Explain that you would expect an upgrade as a diamond guest and ask whether it is possible to book directly into this upgraded room category using the certificate. Alternatively, ask if you can pay an upsell charge.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
I have had no problems using them... either online or through the CC desk. They do have to look for a special allotment - promo nights, but at GH Dubai, GH Doha & HR Hong Kong have had plenty availability on multiple nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.