Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place River North vs Hyatt Magnificent Mile

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:47 am
Original Poster

My wife and I are planning to visit Chicago around July 4th. I will be using points and have narrowed it down to the Hyatt Place or Magnificent Mile. There is a 5000 point difference between the two. Is the Magnificent Mile worth it? I'm a Hyatt Platinum so wouldn't expect any upgraded rooms. I appreciate any input.

Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Cardinalfan1958
My wife and I are planning to visit Chicago around July 4th. I will be using points and have narrowed it down to the Hyatt Place or Magnificent Mile. There is a 5000 point difference between the two. Is the Magnificent Mile worth it? I'm a Hyatt Platinum so wouldn't expect any upgraded rooms. I appreciate any input.

Thanks
I don't think so - I haven't been to either but the hyatt place is brand new (just opened up a few months ago) and is close to a bunch of restaurants/bars.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond

Thanks
I'll provide an opposing view point. I would always (well, can't think of an exception off the top of my head) choose a full service Hyatt property over a Hyatt Place especially for such a small point premium.

Personally I am not a fan of the HP (or most limited service motels). I don't like the perfume/odor they spray all over the room, don't care for the cheaper bedding, towels or shampoo/soaps. Also I am not into the processed food they serve for breakfast.

However if you are just looking for the cheapest clean place to stay and don't care about the above then I am sure the HP is fine.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:26 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Like others in this thread, I would spring for the full-service hotel. You'll get a nicer property, probably a better location, a more memorable stay, etc. Back when I was Platinum I remember getting upgraded several times, often spectacularly. Even without an upgrade, a full-service hotel for such a small premium is a good way to use points.

Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
I just stayed at the Magnificent Mile. I've also stayed at various Hyatt Places in the past month. If money is no object, spring to the full service Hyatts. However, Hyatt Place is a great stay for the buck. I do notice a difference in bedding qualitiy betweeb HPs vs full Hyatts, but it's not that much of a difference. All my HPs had glass bathrooms, but some of the full service Hyatts had the stupid curtains, something I consider a deal breaker. My corner room at Mag Mile had a curtain shower. They then charged me for bottled water I never opened (quickly reversed if you email or call them). Room was nice, bed was spectacular. I'm all about a full breakfast--so that was what made me stay at the Mag Mile (Diamond perk). HP breakfasts are surprisingly good for being "complimentary".
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Thought the Mag Mile a very nice property. doss1 is correct -- the bed is spectacular. Breakfast is very good. We liked the location. OTOH, Hyatt Places (we've not stayed in a downtown HP) are very good for their niche.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.