Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending Points Expiration Date

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Extending Points Expiration Date

I have not stayed in a Hyatt for a while, almost 2 years, and have about 16,000 points that will expire this month. Is there any way to extend the expiration date without a stay? Otherwise I will just transfer the points to one of my frequent flyer accounts.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 1:40 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by holocker
I have not stayed in a Hyatt for a while, almost 2 years, and have about 16,000 points that will expire this month. Is there any way to extend the expiration date without a stay? Otherwise I will just transfer the points to one of my frequent flyer accounts.
We have increased the inactivity period from 12 months to 24 months. After 24 months of inactivity your account will be closed, and all points will be forfeited. This means starting in January of this year you have 24 months to have some sort of activity on your account. The review process of inactive accounts will begin in 2016. Accounts will remain active if they meet any of the below criteria:

-Received Hyatt Gold Passport Points (earned on an eligible stay/spend)
-Redeemed Hyatt Gold Passport Points (award stay)
-Received credit with a Hyatt partner or relationship (Airline, Amtrak, M Life)
-Transferred award to another guest
-Converted Hyatt Gold Passport points into miles with a travel partner
-purchased points (www.points.com)
-combined points with another member's account
-Active Hyatt Credit Card member

Our points do not expire; however, if there is inactivity your account may be closed. We are not closing accounts due to inactivity until the beginning of 2016. If you are still concerned, please feel free to PM me, and I would be happy to take a look at your account.

Allie H. -A Guest Relations Associate
Old Mar 4, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
You can buy points. Cost is 24.00 for 1000 pts.
http://www.hyatt.com/gp/en/awards/combine_transfer.jsp

Transfer points in or out of your account still cost 24.00 to transfer out.

Get the Hyatt credit card and make charge. I like this option. There is activity every time you use the card and you get the card benefits if you decide to use it.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond,SPG PLat, hilton
Some Hyatt do offer extra points for dining, so consider that option to continue your membership.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:08 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by sirlloyd42
Some Hyatt do offer extra points for dining, so consider that option to continue your membership.
All do (at least domestic properties) now but I caution you to hold on to your credit card receipt since chances are it's not going to post and CS will want to see a receipt for them to post (in my case about 6 dines).
Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does transferring in points from Chase Ultimate Reward count as activity?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If one pays an annual fee on a Hyatt credit card, does this automatically make one an "active Hyatt credit card member"? Or must there be some other genuine spend on the card?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:26 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Happy
I would assume yes.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If one pays an annual fee on a Hyatt credit card, does this automatically make one an "active Hyatt credit card member"? Or must there be some other genuine spend on the card?
I would think so - although we do have some activity on our cards - backup for places that don't accept AMEX or Hyatt spend.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
It definitely does as I asked the Hyatt Concierge about a similar activity.

Although it is little known, one can transfer in DC points to Hyatt and I had asked the HC in a PM whether that constituted an activity for points expiration.

He replied yes and referenced the transfer of CUR points as a similar situation whereby it extends your expiration date.

You may wish to PM the HC to obtain written documentation of same should you wish to have a hard copy record for the future.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
easiest way is to dine at a hyatt and ask for points or to buy 1000 points - definitely worth it
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:20 am

Reviving this thread in hopes of obtaining updated ideas. Thank you for any new advice.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:15 am

Surely the easiest and cheapest way is to book an award stay (whether full points or C&P), and cancel it?

Unlike airline awards, there is no fee to cancel hotel award bookings, so I don't see why anyone needs to make any efforts beyond this.

Unless I'm missing something, of course - am I?
Old Oct 17, 2015, 9:29 pm

Thanks, Stargold. Making an award reservation did appear to be a possibility a while back, but somehow it just seemed too easy. Now, with your endorsement, it certainly seems to be the way to go. Appreciate your response.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by stargold
Surely the easiest and cheapest way is to book an award stay (whether full points or C&P), and cancel it?

Unlike airline awards, there is no fee to cancel hotel award bookings, so I don't see why anyone needs to make any efforts beyond this.

Unless I'm missing something, of course - am I?
Can anyone else validate this actually works and counts toward expiration? I am guessing that we really won't know until 2016 when they start closing accounts
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Can anyone else validate this actually works and counts toward expiration? I am guessing that we really won't know until 2016 when they start closing accounts
Given the unequivocal list of qualifying activities in the 2nd post from GP Concierge, I can't see how they would argue against it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.