Wiki Posts
Search

hacking free lobby wi-fi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
hacking free lobby wi-fi

I asked this question in the thread specific to the Grand Hyatt NYC because that's where I'm most interested, but suppose it's a good general question. I spend a lot of time working in hotel lobbies in NYC when in between meetings. I am Platinum, but don't think that gets me free wi-fi if i'm not actually staying at the hotel. Anyone know a way to hack this?

For instance, I know one hotel where the internet login is any room number (even one that's made up) and the password is the name of the hotel.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
As I recall the login requires the guest name and the room number.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
You should go to the front desk and tell them you'd like to pay for it.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
You should go to the front desk and tell them you'd like to pay for it.
... or at least hang over there and get a room number and someone name who's checking in...
Old Feb 1, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Stealing lobby wi-fi

I've more appropriately titled this.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 12:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I suggest just investing in MiFi.

You can probably write it off as a work expense.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 7:00 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
In recent historic times it might have been a necessity to steal a wi-fi signal so that one could "conduct business". Nowadays, you can just use your own cell phone as a mobile hotspot. It's a bit slow (but so is hotel wi-fi sometimes). So there's no compelling reason nowadays to steal a wi-fi signal, except perhaps just to prove that you can.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by thewhitezone
I asked this question ...
You call yourself a NewYorker*? (Please, just kidding, no disrespect intended.) I’ll bet you a dollar that if you ask at the front desk the answer more often than not would be yes, even if you have to do a WAGBAA (that’s Walk Away, Go Back, Ask Again which is similar to a HUCA but performed live and in person).

(In your sweetest NewYorker* voice and demeanor (is there such a thing?): “Good afternoon, I’m hoping you might be able to do me small favor. I’ve stayed here several times in the past and I’m Hyatt Platinum and I’m wondering if you might be able to give me WiFi access for a few moments while I’m waiting for a friend.”)

Let us know how it goes and I’ll give you my address so you can send me my dollars!

(* I’m a NewYorker and proud of it!)
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:25 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

This question is specific to the GH NYC and was posted there. FT rules prohibit cross posting. I'll lock this thread.

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.