Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hailstorm
Effective 7 Jan 2014, Hyatt Gold Passport offers bookings for a combination of points and cash for standard rooms. The points required are half of the points required for an all-points reservation. The following is a list of the points required plus co-pay for the 8 categories.

Cat 1 2,500 points (modified depending on peak/off-peak pricing) + 50% of Standard Rate
Cat 2 4,000 points (modified depending on peak/off-peak pricing) + 50% of Standard Rate
Cat 3 6,000 points (modified depending on peak/off-peak pricing) + 50% of Standard Rate
Cat 4 7,500 points (modified depending on peak/off-peak pricing) + 50% of Standard Rate
Cat 5 10,000 points (modified depending on peak/off-peak pricing) + 50% of Standard Rate
Cat 6 12,500 points (modified depending on peak/off-peak pricing) + 50% of Standard Rate
Cat 7 15,000 points (modified depending on peak/off-peak pricing) + 50% of Standard Rate
Cat 8 20,000 points (modified depending on peak/off-peak pricing) + 50% of Standard Rate

1) As of November 2015, these rates can be booked online. In some cases, using a corporate code may cause them not to be shown.

2) Availability is determined by the property; some properties almost always have availability, while other properties apparently never have.

3) Points are normally deducted at time of booking; cash portion is paid to the hotel at checkout.

4) If you cancel the reservation online, the points are usually but not always automatically re-credited; may be necessary to call/contact.

5) Only available for standard rooms, not for higher room categories, Club floor rooms, etc.

6) All elite tier benefits apply, and Diamond suite upgrades may be applied if available.

7) Stay and night credits are applicable for elite qualification and also for promotions; cash portion earns points as qualified hotel spend.

8) For non-US properties, the US dollar co-pay may be converted to the foreign currency at the time the reservation is made. Sometimes the conversion rate is set for the whole year, so may be more or less than the current exchange rate.

9) The cash co-pay is inclusive of taxes and "service" charges for properties that quote their rates as inclusive of T&S. If rates do not normally include T&S, the cash portion is subject to the T&S charges.
Print Wikipost

Points & Cash - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:54 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Lack of money?
What money, make the P&C reservation which doesn't require prepayment. Cancel the reservation to get back more points before the stay date - no money ever changes hand.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kpc
Sorry if has been asked before. I currently have 17000 pts. I would like to book a category 5 club room which is 27000 pts. If i book a Points and Cash award category 5 room for 10000 pts + USD125 (normally 20000 pts), and then cancel the booking, would I get back 20000 pts so I can then book a category 5 club room which is 27000 pts? I don't think i can book a club room using pts and cash...

To play this game you must be staying at an IHG Hotel and not a Hyatt or any other chain
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by craz
To play this game you must be staying at an IHG Hotel and not a Hyatt or any other chain
Since P+C doesn't take cash until the stay, does this generate points for free?

And given IHC's recent policy of closing accounts for anything they call abuse, how likely is an account to survive doing this?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by peteropny
What money, make the P&C reservation which doesn't require prepayment. Cancel the reservation to get back more points before the stay date - no money ever changes hand.
I assume that the poster was thinking that this would be an IHG like arrangement, which would result in a roundabout way of purchasing points. Which, of course, is not the case with Hyatt, but means that the poster wasn't being ridiculous in at least considering the idea.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sethb
Since P+C doesn't take cash until the stay, does this generate points for free?

And given IHC's recent policy of closing accounts for anything they call abuse, how likely is an account to survive doing this?
this again will not work for Hyatt or SPG AFAIK. For IHG once you book C&P you are charged for the $$ portion, When you CX the res you dont get the $$ refunded but instead get x amount of pts put into your acct. Then those pts are yours to use as you see fit

I believe with Hyatt & SPG when you cx the res the $$ was never charged so no refund is necessary so you dont end buying any pts like with IHG
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by craz
this again will not work for Hyatt or SPG AFAIK. For IHG once you book C&P you are charged for the $$ portion, When you CX the res you dont get the $$ refunded but instead get x amount of pts put into your acct. Then those pts are yours to use as you see fit

I believe with Hyatt & SPG when you cx the res the $$ was never charged so no refund is necessary so you dont end buying any pts like with IHG
You are correct.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I've been having 50/50 luck with P&C on the smaller Cat 3 and Cat 4 properties, when I can't find a 20k Marriott or IHG or a 30k Hilton property to burn points on, or when I really value a 4pm check out.

It's not the best use of points, because most of the Cat 3/4 properties aren't really worth $175-$200/night. But I get a stay credit out of it and occasionally a closed lounge bonus, and I have enough Hyatt points that I need to spend them when close to useful.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
I have updated the Wiki, since it still contained a lot of speculative info that has since been pretty much confirmed.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I book about 90% of my stays on Points + Cash. I thought I had experienced every possible way of the Front Desk messing up my P+C reservation:

1. Charging me for both my portion (e.g. $75 for a Cat. 3) and HGP's portion (e.g. $50) at check-out

2. Assuming it's a straight award stay and not charging me anything at check-out (rare, but the most favorable result).

Now, for the first time, a wily third P+C screw-up has appeared!

3. Only charging me the HGP portion ($50) and not my portion ($75) of the bill
Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I book about 90% of my stays on Points + Cash.
How do you generate enough points to make this possible?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
My route is UR via Ink card and Staples.
As to post before. Never had an issue until my last few stays. Now each p&c was screwed up, either 1 or 3- either charged the reimbursement amount from Hyatt or both. Not sure what changed. Problem for me is the amount of time wasted straightening it all out.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Credit card spend can generate lots of points.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:10 am

Finding P & C nights has been at any place I want to stay has been a pain. Trying to use up my DSU's. Tried emailing couple of places to see if they participate in P & C and all I get is an email saying they will get back to me and nothing more. My schedule is very flexible. Are there any hints to finding a P & C night other than just calling and asking?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by muswei
Finding P & C nights has been at any place I want to stay has been a pain. Trying to use up my DSU's. Tried emailing couple of places to see if they participate in P & C and all I get is an email saying they will get back to me and nothing more. My schedule is very flexible. Are there any hints to finding a P & C night other than just calling and asking?
You don't have to contact the individual properties. Central reservations or the Hyatt Concierge here on FT can check availability of P&C. If you're flexible, put together a list in your order of priority and go through it with central reservations on the phone or ask the Concierge to check for you.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Not impossible, even without a credit card.

Current promo is 65K for 25 nights. Add say 15 diamond amenity bonuses if you move around a bit and you get up to 80K. If you spend those on C&P in Category 2 that's 20 nights there (80K / 4K)... The cash portion also gets you another 6.5 x 25 x 55 = 9K more points which covers another couple of nights.

So, stay on Cash & Points in Category 1/2 hotels and you can come close to being self sufficient on points, as long as you have enough to get started...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.