Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hailstorm
Effective 7 Jan 2014, Hyatt Gold Passport offers bookings for a combination of points and cash for standard rooms. The points required are half of the points required for an all-points reservation. The following is a list of the points required plus co-pay for the 8 categories.

Cat 1 2,500 points (modified depending on peak/off-peak pricing) + 50% of Standard Rate
Cat 2 4,000 points (modified depending on peak/off-peak pricing) + 50% of Standard Rate
Cat 3 6,000 points (modified depending on peak/off-peak pricing) + 50% of Standard Rate
Cat 4 7,500 points (modified depending on peak/off-peak pricing) + 50% of Standard Rate
Cat 5 10,000 points (modified depending on peak/off-peak pricing) + 50% of Standard Rate
Cat 6 12,500 points (modified depending on peak/off-peak pricing) + 50% of Standard Rate
Cat 7 15,000 points (modified depending on peak/off-peak pricing) + 50% of Standard Rate
Cat 8 20,000 points (modified depending on peak/off-peak pricing) + 50% of Standard Rate

1) As of November 2015, these rates can be booked online. In some cases, using a corporate code may cause them not to be shown.

2) Availability is determined by the property; some properties almost always have availability, while other properties apparently never have.

3) Points are normally deducted at time of booking; cash portion is paid to the hotel at checkout.

4) If you cancel the reservation online, the points are usually but not always automatically re-credited; may be necessary to call/contact.

5) Only available for standard rooms, not for higher room categories, Club floor rooms, etc.

6) All elite tier benefits apply, and Diamond suite upgrades may be applied if available.

7) Stay and night credits are applicable for elite qualification and also for promotions; cash portion earns points as qualified hotel spend.

8) For non-US properties, the US dollar co-pay may be converted to the foreign currency at the time the reservation is made. Sometimes the conversion rate is set for the whole year, so may be more or less than the current exchange rate.

9) The cash co-pay is inclusive of taxes and "service" charges for properties that quote their rates as inclusive of T&S. If rates do not normally include T&S, the cash portion is subject to the T&S charges.
Print Wikipost

Points & Cash - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:32 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Just made two C + P reservations:

1) HR Incheon for one night in September. No award availability showed online, but when I called, the GP agent put me on hold, called the property and had them open up availability. No problem applying a diamond suite upgrade, either.

2) HR Tokyo for five nights in September. No issue booking the C+P rate, but the agent told me that diamond suite upgrades could not be applied to C+P bookings. I gently pushed back, she put me on hold, and another agent picked up who had no problem booking us straight into the Atrium suite.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:51 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I've just retitled this thread to Points & Cash to align with the term used by Hyatt (rather than Cash & Points).
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:45 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Tried booking (w my private line agent) a P&C rate at GH Taipei for several dates in Aug, no luck.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by thezipper
Tried booking (w my private line agent) a P&C rate at GH Taipei for several dates in Aug, no luck.
I think the issue is with the renovation that is currently in progress. Until they are completed, nothing will open up. Tried booking for June and nothing either.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Booked two nights in August at P&C rate for Andaz Maui.

My Elite Rate: ($615.20 * 2) = $1230.40 ($1395.47 w/tax)
P&C Rate: ($150 + 12500 points * 2) = $300.00 + 25000 points

25000 points value = ($1395.47 - $300) = $1095.47
1 point value = ~ 4.38 cents.

You can purchase points for 2.4 cents apiece, meaning that, for these dates, even if you don't have any points already, you can book a qualifying stay using P&C for more than 25% off of the My Elite Rate (or more than 40% off the the regular Andaz Rate)

I'm really starting to warm up to P&C!
Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First
Booked 10 nights at the Andaz Maui (and used 2 DSU's on top of it) and came out with the following points value (not including the stay credit and points earned on top of it) -

10 nights @ $999 = 9990 - $1500 = $8490

125,000 points / $8490 = $.067

If you factor in the price for paying for the suite it comes out to -

10 nights @ $1324 = $13240 - $1500 = $11740

125,000 points / $11740 = $.093

These kinds of redemptions definitely take the sting out of the devaluation ! Not that I would ever pay $999 a night at any Hyatt but $1500 for 10 nights in a suite is more than fair.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I haven't seen mention of resort fees- are the resort fees still charged on a cash and points reservation?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Booked two nights in August at P&C rate for Andaz Maui.

My Elite Rate: ($615.20 * 2) = $1230.40 ($1395.47 w/tax)
P&C Rate: ($150 + 12500 points * 2) = $300.00 + 25000 points

25000 points value = ($1395.47 - $300) = $1095.47
1 point value = ~ 4.38 cents.

You can purchase points for 2.4 cents apiece, meaning that, for these dates, even if you don't have any points already, you can book a qualifying stay using P&C for more than 25% off of the My Elite Rate (or more than 40% off the the regular Andaz Rate)

I'm really starting to warm up to P&C!
Yes, this is the kind of calculation I find myself doing these days. Even in post-devaluation, it has made me more fond of the Chase Hyatt Visa, certainly for restaurant spend.

[As per the first page, this kind of valuation probably has to be nudged down somewhat to account for the "lost point value" of the un-spent $1095.47, which, including the Chase Hyatt Visa points -- at Diamond level, we would be talking something like 10K here, right? So then the question is, "What's a point worth?" I think we get into one of those recursions, since that was the question that started this, and $0.0438 was the first iteration response. Have to see if I can recall how to solve these things in Excel ... ]
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:17 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Peatisback
I haven't seen mention of resort fees- are the resort fees still charged on a cash and points reservation?
Yes. I asked when I made the reservation and the agent read the T&Cs and it is specifically mentioned.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Yes, this is the kind of calculation I find myself doing these days. Even in post-devaluation, it has made me more fond of the Chase Hyatt Visa, certainly for restaurant spend.

[As per the first page, this kind of valuation probably has to be nudged down somewhat to account for the "lost point value" of the un-spent $1095.47, which, including the Chase Hyatt Visa points -- at Diamond level, we would be talking something like 10K here, right? So then the question is, "What's a point worth?" I think we get into one of those recursions, since that was the question that started this, and $0.0438 was the first iteration response. Have to see if I can recall how to solve these things in Excel ... ]
Two ways to consider the reduction in earned points if it were an all-cash stay -

(1) if each of the nights would have been otherwise booked in cash, simply add the reduction in points to the cost of the stay - so, instead of 25k points used, this stay is 35k points in reduced capacity for further Hyatt stays, in exchange for $xxxx in savings - e.g. valuation of $0.07 per point in savings

(2) if you wouldn't have made a cash stay of the same duration, and instead are utilizing the P+C mechanism to add value (an addl night or two) to the stay, don't bother with this opportunity cost - it's straight utilization of your points/cash vs what else you can do with them, and the valuation is on points use outside of this particular stay - e.g. if you otherwise get $0.02 per point, a 12.5k ($250) points + $150 incremental night is your cost, and you decide if $400 is worth staying an extra night (if you were using priceline, you would have bid at least $400 for the extra night)
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:27 pm
She

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
I think the issue is with the renovation that is currently in progress. Until they are completed, nothing will open up. Tried booking for June and nothing either.
No luck for me trying to book next Jan either. I'm able to make a booking using all points though I'm wondering why the points & cash availability is different?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by 4aks
Two ways to consider the reduction in earned points if it were an all-cash stay -

(1) if each of the nights would have been otherwise booked in cash, simply add the reduction in points to the cost of the stay - so, instead of 25k points used, this stay is 35k points in reduced capacity for further Hyatt stays, in exchange for $xxxx in savings - e.g. valuation of $0.07 per point in savings

(2) if you wouldn't have made a cash stay of the same duration, and instead are utilizing the P+C mechanism to add value (an addl night or two) to the stay, don't bother with this opportunity cost - it's straight utilization of your points/cash vs what else you can do with them, and the valuation is on points use outside of this particular stay - e.g. if you otherwise get $0.02 per point, a 12.5k ($250) points + $150 incremental night is your cost, and you decide if $400 is worth staying an extra night (if you were using priceline, you would have bid at least $400 for the extra night)
Excellent points. Wrt (1), and hailstorm's original example, the points value would be more like $0.031 per point, which is probably a better comparison point with other mechanisms for spending money, using credit cards, and so on.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Excellent points. Wrt (1), and hailstorm's original example, the points value would be more like $0.031 per point, which is probably a better comparison point with other mechanisms for spending money, using credit cards, and so on.
$0.031 is a decent rate to get, especially for such a large chunk in one use.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:03 pm

Currently have two nights booked at HR Kyoto under the old rates (18k/night) for travel in July. The hotel elite rate is about $240/night giving me a 1.33 cents value on my redemption.

I could swap the stay to P&C which would mean paying $250 to save 16k points (36,000-(2x10,000)). I'd also earn about 1,438 points as a platinum member. So my true savings would be 14,563 points thus the cost of these points would be 1.72 cents/point.

I'm thinking I should just stay with the points rate, is that the right call? Note I feel comfortable that I can manufacture points at ~0.7 cents/point in the future and don't need elite stay credit. The only reason I think I might switch is if diamond trial is available again and thus the P&C rate would let me use suite upgrades. Thoughts?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by She
No luck for me trying to book next Jan either. I'm able to make a booking using all points though I'm wondering why the points & cash availability is different?
Is P&C even available past Dec 31st?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.