Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Phuket REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Phuket REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by windwalker
How far is this property from the airport?
We arrive around 4:00pm, depart the next day at 10:40 am
That stop is totally not worth it IMO. Too much time and $$ in transit costs for an overnight. Decent chance you don't even catch the sunset, remember this is the tropics, sunset will be right around 6 p.m.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by windwalker
Abit

Thanks, not overly worried about taxis(just trying to get idea of "fair" price and not get abused)

Don't quite follow your last line, are you saying that a visit to Patong is not really worth the efforts?

Thanks
If you only have a few hours on one overnight, then I'd totally skip Patong and chill at the Hyatt or in Kamala town. Have a nice meal and relax. Patong is kind of just crowded tackiness fraught with touts and louts on overbuilt streets in front of a genuinely nice beach. I reckon it was a very beautiful place decades ago before heavy development. I'm actually going there next month but only due to a superbly generous sale on a nice hotel ($8 a night) and the fact that I work from home or hotels or wherever. There are some bars with genuinely good hard rock cover bands, although the better one was closed by government order when I was last there. I've never taken a taxi from Patong back to the Hyatt at night, but considering most drivers want 500 baht during the day, night fares could be quite dear.

Last edited by abitlost; Oct 19, 2014 at 1:25 pm
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Originally Posted by abitlost
If you only have a few hours on one overnight, then I'd totally skip Patong and chill at the Hyatt or in Kamala town. Have a nice meal and relax. Patong is kind of just crowded tackiness fraught with touts and louts on overbuilt streets in front of a genuinely nice beach.
Thanks Abit, assumed that;s what you meant

Kacee, flights are already booked, was only a few dollars more adding the HKT stop from BKK to SIN and we get to see Phuket(granted only for a bit) but we can at least say we've dipped our toes in the Andaman Sea/Indian Ocean and walked on the beach

Booked a club room, so if too tired we can just relax there have some eats/drinks, look to our left and watch the sun dip into water. If we get in a tad early maybe head to Kamala for the same.

Now my BIG hope is that the staff may feel generous to this lowely plat and perhaps grant an upgrade to Ocean View POOL King
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, FB PLAT, TK ELPL, HYATT GLOB, HILTON DIAM, IHG SPIRE EL
Exclamation Construction Work at Hyatt Phuket

I highly recommend submitting room preferences in advance.

There is major, noisy and most of all unannounced construction work (room/building renovation) going on at Hyatt Phuket right now. One thing that will be improved after completion is the extremely poor privacy on the balconies of some rooms.

The Regency Club offers great views and service to match - it is the one very positive feature of this property.

The negative experiences during my short stay were much more dominant though. From housekeeping issues to the surprising construction work and the sometimes less than optimal service attitude, there were far more serious problems than I expected even after reading the TA reviews.

As a Diamond, I was first upgraded to a Club Deluxe room (with more than one icky housekeeping issue and mediocre view). I reported the problems and was then downgraded to a Club Ocean View room after waiting for a few hours. The new, smaller room did not have any housekeeping issues and a better view but the lack of privacy on the balcony was ridiculous.

Local management did not appear to be genuinely alarmed by any of my concerns.

Given the number of problems, the minimalistic on-site handling of them and the fact that some did pose very real safety hazards for guests (construction areas incl. guest rooms there were open to the public and not indicated),
I will follow this up with corporate and Hyatt Asia Pacific operations management shortly.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: N/A
Delete

Last edited by JBG89; Nov 8, 2014 at 9:56 am
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:49 am

While asking for an upgrade here, what would be the best room to request?
Thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:55 am

Would most here still prefer the westin Siray bay over this property even with hyatt diamond status? Seems to be a good amount cheaper as well.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 4:53 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JBG89
Would most here still prefer the westin Siray bay over this property even with hyatt diamond status? Seems to be a good amount cheaper as well.
While I haven't stayed at the HR HKT, you can use SPG50 and get a One Bedroom Sala Pool Villa at the Westin Siray Bay for 11,500 THB++ which is brilliant value.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by Nachtmeister
... construction work (room/building renovation) going on at Hyatt Phuket right now.
Local management did not appear to be genuinely alarmed by any of my concerns...
I returned a few days ago from a 9-night-stay at HR Phuket.
Nachtmeister is right; construction work is still going on at this property.

However I completely disagree regarding the local management.
I have had several times contact to the General Manager, by email and in several phone calls. He is very interested in any feedback and cared in any respect. Regarding construction work, he made several changes upon my requests to lower disturbances during the stay.
In addition, he found a way to satisfy us completely.

We will definitively come back... ^

Last edited by tjae; Nov 16, 2014 at 3:55 am
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:19 pm

Whats the "Best" room to get when requesting the upgrade?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
While I haven't stayed at the HR HKT, you can use SPG50 and get a One Bedroom Sala Pool Villa at the Westin Siray Bay for 11,500 THB++ which is brilliant value.
Is this 11.5k per night? It seems to be 13k on the regular rate.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:24 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Is this 11.5k per night? It seems to be 13k on the regular rate.
Yes. SPG50 is off RACK.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I cancelled my Hyatt reservation and went with a luxury ocean villa at Sri Panwa.....best decision ever made.

Can't speak for Hyatt, but went to visit a friend at Westin and boy what a difference.

Westin was built what, 5 years ago? The whole resort looked like it was built more than 10 years ago. Things were falling apart and the buildings were all in bad shape. The hallway and rooms smelled so bad I could barely stand it. My friend had a pool suite and although the view wasn't bad, the room had a lot of water damage. Also, the "private" pool was actually a large pool shared by about 7 units in total. There was a divider between every 2 units (suites had their own dividers) but the regular pool room actually shared the divided pool between 2 units! That meant your neighbor could swim right in front of your unit and hang out on your patio.

All in all, the Westin felt extremely cheap (because it was, rates were ~ $110 a night) and dirty. Although they treated Platinums extremely well (free VIP breakfast in a separate facility vs having it with the masses, free drinks and canapes daily, as well as generous upgrades), the place felt more like a 3 star resort. It provided a great value, but I personally would never stay there even in a sala pool villa, especially after staying at Sri Panwa. I have a feeling Hyatt is about the same as Westin. It really depends on what you are looking for.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:28 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I cancelled my Hyatt reservation and went with a luxury ocean villa at Sri Panwa.....best decision ever made.

Can't speak for Hyatt, but went to visit a friend at Westin and boy what a difference.

Westin was built what, 5 years ago? The whole resort looked like it was built more than 10 years ago. Things were falling apart and the buildings were all in bad shape. The hallway and rooms smelled so bad I could barely stand it. My friend had a pool suite and although the view wasn't bad, the room had a lot of water damage. Also, the "private" pool was actually a large pool shared by about 7 units in total. There was a divider between every 2 units (suites had their own dividers) but the regular pool room actually shared the divided pool between 2 units! That meant your neighbor could swim right in front of your unit and hang out on your patio.

All in all, the Westin felt extremely cheap (because it was, rates were ~ $110 a night) and dirty. Although they treated Platinums extremely well (free VIP breakfast in a separate facility vs having it with the masses, free drinks and canapes daily, as well as generous upgrades), the place felt more like a 3 star resort. It provided a great value, but I personally would never stay there even in a sala pool villa, especially after staying at Sri Panwa. I have a feeling Hyatt is about the same as Westin. It really depends on what you are looking for.
While I agree the build quality is not great your understanding of the rooms are wrong. The pool access rooms are clearly not private pools but shared along a long balcony.

The Sala Pool villas all have private plunge pools as advertised. The One and Two Bedroom Sala Pool villas are stunning, private and perfect for us.

The Platinum drinks on Prego Moon Deck where one can order any drink off the bar menu, including cocktails is incredible and the best club lounge experience we have ever experienced.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: LH SEN, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Plat, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
When comparing the Westin Siray Bay with the Hyatt one should also consider the very different locations. The Westin is on a very deserted corner of Phuket and driving there by night can be complicated when you're stuck in Phuket town.

The Hyatt area is much more attractive and closer to some other hotels etc.

Is the Hyatt still not accepting DSU's?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.