Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Phuket REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Phuket REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 10, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by SMK77
I would call them: Not sure what the standard upgrade is. Higher rooms are better and the corner rooms have the privacy that you might want.
Thank you.
Any clue on who's running the place?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:11 pm

Anyone know what the Suite's terrace has? Does it have a day bed on the terrace? Any pictures? The pictures on their website is hard to really get a "REAL" sense of the rooms.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, VS Gold Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold,
Well with the tripadvisor reviews being bad and now finding this thread. I think I need to make a change. I have this place scheduled for the last part of my trip and I think I need to change it before its too late so I don't hate life.

I used a DSU for my room got a nice low rate a night but there are many other choices
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Droch
Well with the tripadvisor reviews being bad and now finding this thread. I think I need to make a change. I have this place scheduled for the last part of my trip and I think I need to change it before its too late so I don't hate life.

I used a DSU for my room got a nice low rate a night but there are many other choices
I am in the same boat. Not looking at going as soon as you (March 2015); however, I was really hoping to be able to stay here. I've now turned my focus to the Radisson Blu and Hilton Arcadia. Quite a disappointment as the pictures make it look beautiful!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
I stayed at this property 4 nights last week. I don't have any complaints but this process is purely subjective. We all have different priorities and some are easier to please than others. I used a DSU but changed to a Club Deluxe King room after reading reviews. I coordinated in advance for room selection with the hotel manager Keith Massey and rooms manager Ruben Schrijver. Mr. Massey suggested the Club Deluxe King room and we went with his advice. Our priorities as a couple were great view, quiet, and privacy and a corner room fit all three. We were in 1113, right next to the building containing the Regency Club and fitness center.

The highlights of the hotel for us were the infinity pool and the Regency Club. The pool is huge with plenty of seating including shaded beds. The club staff was excellent, in fact all the staff were polite and wanted to help. Language was a more of a challenge than I expected but it was not a problem. The club had a good selection of tasty food in the evening plus soft drinks, juice, tea, coffee, etc all day.

Yes..there is a road that runs between the hotel and the sea. It is a small road with slow moving traffic, 15-20 mph, not a superhighway with trucks speeding by. It is not a busy road. For us it was a non-issue. The beach is not usable but the hotel offers free shuttle to Kamala Beach about 3 minutes away. We used the taxi guys across the street after reading TA reviews about guests being over-charged getting a taxi through the hotel. 500 to Patong and 1000 to airport. I didn't bother trying to haggle.

As a diamond member breakfast is either in the club or at the pool buffet, your choice. Pool buffet was good, nothing spectacular compared to other properties I have stayed at. We ate dinner in the club each night so we didn't try the restaurants. Gym has minimal free weights and quite a few aerobic machines. No steam room, sauna, or locker rooms. Golf carts are used to transport guests up and down the hill to their rooms. It is a steep hill and we walked down a few times but never up. Again, I have no complaints considering the Hyatt Elite Rate we got and the excellent treatment and benefits we received.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:25 am

Thanks for the review. I think I will keep my reservation. I think the place was going through growing pains, and really its about the view and the pool. I can't see the rooms being in bad shape with this being so new.

Also did they switch you from the Suite to the Club room for no charge? If so then thats a good option.

My wife will be doing her diamond challenge and I need all the 12 nights of our trip to be at hyatts so we can complete it.

Did you take any tours?

Originally Posted by houstr8male
I stayed at this property 4 nights last week. I don't have any complaints but this process is purely subjective. We all have different priorities and some are easier to please than others. I used a DSU but changed to a Club Deluxe King room after reading reviews. I coordinated in advance for room selection with the hotel manager Keith Massey and rooms manager Ruben Schrijver. Mr. Massey suggested the Club Deluxe King room and we went with his advice. Our priorities as a couple were great view, quiet, and privacy and a corner room fit all three. We were in 1113, right next to the building containing the Regency Club and fitness center.

The highlights of the hotel for us were the infinity pool and the Regency Club. The pool is huge with plenty of seating including shaded beds. The club staff was excellent, in fact all the staff were polite and wanted to help. Language was a more of a challenge than I expected but it was not a problem. The club had a good selection of tasty food in the evening plus soft drinks, juice, tea, coffee, etc all day.

Yes..there is a road that runs between the hotel and the sea. It is a small road with slow moving traffic, 15-20 mph, not a superhighway with trucks speeding by. It is not a busy road. For us it was a non-issue. The beach is not usable but the hotel offers free shuttle to Kamala Beach about 3 minutes away. We used the taxi guys across the street after reading TA reviews about guests being over-charged getting a taxi through the hotel. 500 to Patong and 1000 to airport. I didn't bother trying to haggle.

As a diamond member breakfast is either in the club or at the pool buffet, your choice. Pool buffet was good, nothing spectacular compared to other properties I have stayed at. We ate dinner in the club each night so we didn't try the restaurants. Gym has minimal free weights and quite a few aerobic machines. No steam room, sauna, or locker rooms. Golf carts are used to transport guests up and down the hill to their rooms. It is a steep hill and we walked down a few times but never up. Again, I have no complaints considering the Hyatt Elite Rate we got and the excellent treatment and benefits we received.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:10 am

Thanks for the review. I think I will keep my reservation. I think the place was going through growing pains, and really its about the view and the pool. I can't see the rooms being in bad shape with this being so new.

Also did they switch you from the Suite to the Club room for no charge? If so then thats a good option.

My wife will be doing her diamond challenge and I need all the 12 nights of our trip to be at hyatts so we can complete it.

Did you take any tours?
The room was in excellent shape. We moved from a suite to club deluxe with no additional charge. This was done via email coordination with the GM and rooms manager. I was also doing a diamond challenge. We took the Phang Nga bay speedboat tour using Phuket Sail Tours. Picked up at 6:40am and dropped off at 5:15pm. It was an experience, nothing spectacular, but we are glad we did it. Far different from a boat tour on San Francisco Bay for example. Happy with Phuket Sail as far as advance coordination and everything being as advertised.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:13 am

Programs: -
Thumbs down First impression

Got here and was told room would be ready in 15. Been sitting at the club for 40 minutes at least... Needless to say, not a good way to start my stay
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: -
Overall impression

After the not so great check in process, I must say I am fairly happy overall. People are very nice and the club is amazing. The views are great and it's definitely the highlight of the property. Even if you get one of the rooms with a pool, you'd probably want to spend most of your time at the club, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting that specific upgrade (I'm in a suite for this stay, and as others have said, it is more suited to a family, so if you're coming as a couple, I'd stay away)
Anyway, my overall view is that this place is by no means an aspirational property, but if you get an upgrade to a club room it is a pretty good value (I paid 4200thb using myelite rate).
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by houstr8male
We used the taxi guys across the street after reading TA reviews about guests being over-charged getting a taxi through the hotel. 500 to Patong and 1000 to airport. I didn't bother trying to haggle.
Haggling on Phuket is akin to fighting the tide, it aint gonna work. If the hotel is charging more than the outrageous taxi mafia then something is truly amiss.

Originally Posted by jfkcnf
Got here and was told room would be ready in 15. Been sitting at the club for 40 minutes at least... Needless to say, not a good way to start my stay
Originally Posted by jfkcnf
After the not so great check in process, I must say I am fairly happy overall. People are very nice and the club is amazing. .....
Still in the Club after 27 hours?
Old Apr 12, 2014, 1:03 am

aspirational property, depending on your aspirations

We're finishing up our last day of a one week stay and my wife and myself are pleased with our stay here at the Hyatt Phuket resort.

We almost canceled the trip ourselves after reading this thread.

Then the trip was almost canceled for us when two of our Lufthansa flights were canceled due to a pilot strike.

We ended up rebooking and got to try Cathay Pacific First which was nice.

This IS an aspirational property, depending on your aspirations, if you stay here as a Hyatt diamond or book a rate with Regency club access.

We took lots of photos and I hope to post some but wanted to make this initial post indicating my opinion that this Flyer Talk thread underrates this property and makes it seem scary which it certainly is not.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by jtalstad
We're finishing up our last day of a one week stay and my wife and myself are pleased with our stay here at the Hyatt Phuket resort.

We almost canceled the trip ourselves after reading this thread.

Then the trip was almost canceled for us when two of our Lufthansa flights were canceled due to a pilot strike.

We ended up rebooking and got to try Cathay Pacific First which was nice.

This IS an aspirational property, depending on your aspirations, if you stay here as a Hyatt diamond or book a rate with Regency club access.

We took lots of photos and I hope to post some but wanted to make this initial post indicating my opinion that this Flyer Talk thread underrates this property and makes it seem scary which it certainly is not.
I agree and it is why I posted my brief review after staying here four nights in March. I am also diamond with club access. The club and the huge infinity pool were the highlights for us. The staff were great too.
Old May 6, 2014, 9:12 pm

Sitting by the pool in 90 degree weather. Crystal clear water. The club has amazing views. Check in was smooth. I wonder how many people actuall email their itinary to the resort in advance. Will post some picures later. But book your stay early. And enjoy.
Old May 7, 2014, 4:35 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Sitting by the pool in 90 degree weather. Crystal clear water. The club has amazing views. Check in was smooth. I wonder how many people actuall email their itinary to the resort in advance. Will post some picures later. But book your stay early. And enjoy.
+1
Old May 26, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
I called to see about using a DSU for my upcoming stay; however, the diamond line had advised me that the property does not take points or DSUs to upgrade stays. Any reason why?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.