Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ehallison
(2022 RENOVATIONS) Major reductions in service and facilities August 1 to October 31 2022 The Andaz Peninsula Papagayo will undergo renovations August 1, 2022 through October 31, 2022. The renovations will take place daily from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

The hotel will renovate the Ostra restaurant, however, Rio Bhongo, Chao Pescao and the Beach House will be available for dining.

The hotel will expand the fitness center and upgrade the spa’s reception area. The fitness center will operate at an alternate location and spa services will be offered at that location. The adults-only pool will not be available during renovations. All guests will use the main pool area.

Overview of hotel, restaurants, menus, activities, pretty much everything you need to know: (Link)

Buildings 1, 2, 3 ,4 on higher level and will have steps or you can call for a shuttle
Buildings 5, 6, 7 will be at pool/restaurant level

Property Map (click here)

Parking: valet and self parking included in 10% resort fee

Free shuttle: was until 6pm, now extended to 10pm. Please check for the specifics. Shuttle from 6pm has a charge of $25 USD to Four Season. (2/18 - sign only spoke of shuttle to 6pm)

Vaccination:
Hepatits A and Typhoid vaccine before travel.
Mosquito repellent, especially at night and during rainy season due to Dengue fever.

Complimentary poolside and beachside sunscreen and ice water with citrus in it

Complimentary in the rooms- Sun hats and flip flops, as well as a modest minibar including chips and nuts

If you plan to drive:
1. Strongly recommend GPS, or iPhone app
2. About 30-35minutes from airport
3. 20-25 minutes from hotel to major road (route 21)
4. Road is 2 lane paved road
5. There are no shoulders, just ditches (for rain to drain)
6. Roads in small towns may be unpaved.
7. Roads are not lit. Scariest part about driving at night is not getting lost, but pedestrians walking or a cyclist right on the edge of the road.
8. Another guest at Andaz turned over a car on the first day out with a rental…and this is during the dry season!! (I have no idea how this is possible, unless the driver was incompetent. I rented a car and drove my family several times into town. No problems. Was considering not doing so based on the above sentence. if you have common sense, you will be fine.- Bikeguy)
9. Consider rent from hotel a couple of days instead of getting rental for your entire trip : $90 smaller car, $120 Toyota RAV, $190 Toyota Prado seats 7

Worthwhile activities:
1. At hotel: complimentary kayak, snorkels, paddle board
2. Golf at Four Seasons
3. Witch’s Rock: very close to hotel. Canopy (zipline- $75 pp), horseback riding, quad rental
4. Palo Verde:
• Boat tours are worthwhile
• Chose one that has sun protections or bring an umbrella for sun protection
• Best approach from the south end (eg Palo Verde Boat Tour in Ortega) since it is only an hour away from hotel (vs 2hours from the north entrance.) Stop by Guaitil and pick up some famous Chorotega pottery for souvenir/gifts.
• If approaching it from the north side, stop at nearby Llanos de Cortez waterfall for a dip.
• For bird lovers, consider a Palo Verde boat tour that includes Isla Parajos that can be seen with a tour from Puerto Humo (2 hours from the hotel)
5. Rincon de Vieja
6. Fishing, surfing in Tamarindo

Nearby dining:
At hotel:
• Rio Bhongo: great breakfast (especially for diamonds), recommend casado for lunch. Diamond can also get room service breakfast instead of at restaurant.
• Chao Pescao: recommend chicken arepas, apple cake (apple pie with crčme brulee like custard and vanilla ice cream)
• Ostra
Four Seasons
Dive Bar
• at Marina
• A value for happy hour and Tuesday tacos and other specials, otherwise food were similarly priced as at the hotel and not as good.

Cambi:
• 8-5 free childcare, but with a 1 hour break at noon (so you can't do a full day trip while leaving the kids in Cambi). There is a charge for some activities
• Evening:
a. 6-10pm: $50 with meals served
b. Up to 3 hrs: $40 with meals served.

Miscellaneous:
• There is a supermarket right as you enter “larger” cities like Liberia, Playa de Coco, Santa Cruz. See if guide will make a stop if you are by a “larger” city. For example, if taking a tour to Rincon de Vieja or north end of Palo Verde, see if they will stop in Liberia for meal at Café Liberia (excellent well priced food, serving lunch and dinner but only snacks from 2- 5pm) and to pick up items at the supermarket
• Do It Center
• at 21 and 253
• Can pick up Sim card:
a. Need unlocked phone.
b. Kolbi at the pharmacy
c. Movistar in the Monge electronic store in the hardware store
• Pharmacy
• Pizza place
• Bank
d. Gas Station is across from airport, adjacent to Hilton Garden Inn

Print Wikipost

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (Costa Rica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA PL, DL Gold, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I don't know if this is the right thread (debated between Hyatt promos and this), but there is a travelzoo promo announced today that has room rates here for $180 (incl daily breakfast for two and resort credit). Sure for some the breakfast isn't extra promo, but the rate seemed fantastic. It's bookable through Hyatt using the linked code and it seems you can use portals for extra cash back. There's been some discussion as to whether TZoo rates will yield elite stay or night credit. I have no experience with this rate so YMMV. Here are the links:

TZoo:
http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/inte...deal%3a1717582

Hyatt:
http://papagayo.andaz.hyatt.com/en/h...ferId=54124416
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:59 pm

Seems like a great rate. I am still deciding between here and the Hilton. Andaz is nicer, but HIlton includes food (huge expense with 3 teenage boys).

Anyway, just be aware that this rate does not include taxes (anout $25 per day) and $18/day resort fee. Also, it is non-refundable. $100 room credit only applies on stays of 3 nights or more.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by heatheresq
I don't know if this is the right thread (debated between Hyatt promos and this), but there is a travelzoo promo announced today that has room rates here for $180 (incl daily breakfast for two and resort credit). Sure for some the breakfast isn't extra promo, but the rate seemed fantastic. It's bookable through Hyatt using the linked code and it seems you can use portals for extra cash back. There's been some discussion as to whether TZoo rates will yield elite stay or night credit. I have no experience with this rate so YMMV. Here are the links:

TZoo:
http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/inte...deal%3a1717582

Hyatt:
http://papagayo.andaz.hyatt.com/en/h...ferId=54124416
Originally Posted by arrosen
Seems like a great rate. I am still deciding between here and the Hilton. Andaz is nicer, but HIlton includes food (huge expense with 3 teenage boys).

Anyway, just be aware that this rate does not include taxes (anout $25 per day) and $18/day resort fee. Also, it is non-refundable. $100 room credit only applies on stays of 3 nights or more.
Phenomenal rate! Yes, it's non-refundable so be careful with that, but otherwise... My wife and I had a 4-night stay from 5/2-6 that we booked P+C for $150/12,500 each night ($740 + 50k pts total). Just rebooked the exact same stay for $860 (assuming I receive ~$27 back from TCB), so I basically "paid" $120 for 50k pts, 8 breakfasts, and a $100 credit. Love it! Thanks so much for the heads up!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dajoip
Phenomenal rate! Yes, it's non-refundable so be careful with that, but otherwise... My wife and I had a 4-night stay from 5/2-6 that we booked P+C for $150/12,500 each night ($740 + 50k pts total). Just rebooked the exact same stay for $860 (assuming I receive ~$27 back from TCB), so I basically "paid" $120 for 50k pts, 8 breakfasts, and a $100 credit. Love it! Thanks so much for the heads up!
Yeah that is a fantastic rate! The only downsides are: non-cancellable, pre-paid, and no Hyatt stay credit. I called to confirm this and Diamond line confirmed that even though this limited time rate can be booked directly through hyatt.com without the travelzoo code, this rate is not an eligible rate.

I have a cancellable My Elite Rate of $216 per night after factoring in the discounted gift checks I'm using ($240 minus 10%) vs. $180 per night with no changes/cancellations and no stay credit. Tough call, but I'll probably stick with the My Elite Rate since I might need the 10 nights to re-qualify for Diamond this year and I already get free breakfast as a Diamond.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA PL, DL Gold, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Yay. I'm so glad to have been helpful. I was shocked when I saw it given that I've seen rates that tended to make my tummy turn for Costa Rica. Any thoughts on whether this is a move to depressing rates at this property long term?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, CC, AA, UA, WN
HGP rep confirmed that the TZ rate is not an eligible rate for elite night credit or use of Diamond Suite Upgrades. Still, a fantastic rate considering the breakfast and room credit.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by oc2005
Yeah that is a fantastic rate! The only downsides are: non-cancellable, pre-paid, and no Hyatt stay credit. I called to confirm this and Diamond line confirmed that even though this limited time rate can be booked directly through hyatt.com without the travelzoo code, this rate is not an eligible rate.

I have a cancellable My Elite Rate of $216 per night after factoring in the discounted gift checks I'm using ($240 minus 10%) vs. $180 per night with no changes/cancellations and no stay credit. Tough call, but I'll probably stick with the My Elite Rate since I might need the 10 nights to re-qualify for Diamond this year and I already get free breakfast as a Diamond.
Yes, except the "$100 Stay Credit" brings the rate down to $147 per night if you stay three nights.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by DCAcubsfan
HGP rep confirmed that the TZ rate is not an eligible rate for elite night credit or use of Diamond Suite Upgrades. Still, a fantastic rate considering the breakfast and room credit.

I just emailed HGP and got confirmation that the Diamond Suite Upgrades can be used for this rate. And I have it in writing so not much wiggle room there.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by gunit770
I just emailed HGP and got confirmation that the Diamond Suite Upgrades can be used for this rate. And I have it in writing so not much wiggle room there.
!!

That was not was I was told over the phone, but good to know! I'll follow up with HGP via email as well and get this in writing. Thanks for the tip!
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by gunit770
Can you forward me a screenshot of the email you got? I just got this reply back from HGP:

Dear XXX,

Thank you for your message to Hyatt Hotels Corporation. I welcome the opportunity to assist you with your reservation at Andaz Peninsula Papagayo.

I would like to inform you that the reservation confirmation number, XXX is confirmed under the ineligible rates, hence the Diamond Suite upgrade awards may not be applied on this reservation.

I appreciate this opportunity to assist you. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance. Thank you for choosing Hyatt!

Best Regards,

XXX
Hyatt Gold Passport Representative
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
By the way, my wife is a nursing student, so she's a little "involved" in various things like travel advisories and all that good stuff. Anyhow, we ended up getting vaccinations for Hepatitis A (not a bad idea anyhow) and Typhoid for our upcoming trip to Papagayo. There is also increasing cases of Dengue Fever in Costa Rica, particularly in this particular region, so be sure to read up on it, wear insect repellent, drink from bottled water, be careful of street food vendors, etc.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jibi
By the way, my wife is a nursing student, so she's a little "involved" in various things like travel advisories and all that good stuff. Anyhow, we ended up getting vaccinations for Hepatitis A (not a bad idea anyhow) and Typhoid for our upcoming trip to Papagayo. There is also increasing cases of Dengue Fever in Costa Rica, particularly in this particular region, so be sure to read up on it, wear insect repellent, drink from bottled water, be careful of street food vendors, etc.
Yes, I second this.

For reference:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinat...-and-medicines
Old Mar 30, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
Will post and update when we get things figured out. We have also decided not to rent a car.

Originally Posted by jibi
I believe we've decided not to rent a car, as it really doesn't make sense for our short trip and itinerary. I think we're going to the airport transfer through Ariel's company (the one mentioned by healthnut). I have still not decided on a tour company for our activities, but right now I've reached out to Cosa Rica Issys Tours (Christian, #1 on TA), Costa Rica Best Trips (Ariel, #2 on TA), and Papagayo Vargas Tours (Josta, #3 on TA for LIR). TPG mentioned Herson Segura as another option who appears to be a regular reference among the Hilton and Four Seasons crowds. I may reach out to him tomorrow. Ariel and Josta have been extremely responsive thus far.

I also emailed the Andaz to see if they can get me in touch with the hotel concierge for assistance with planning activities, but I have not heard back from them at this time.

It looks like we're going to visit Playas del Coco and stay around the hotel on our first day... and possibly take a sunset cruise. We're going to do activities for the next two days (likely Arenal on Saturday and snorkeling on Sunday). We will then spend Monday around the hotel... likely spend some time in the spa, as we have an EARLY flight out of LIR on AA (6:10am, which means we get to depart from the Andaz at a ridiculous 3:30am).

The good thing is that it appears most brokered airport transfer services are 24/7 ... and still quite reasonable on the r/t fares (around $125 tops, so be sure to use these services rather than those arranged through the hotel). From reading on FT, it is highly recommended that you pre-purchase the airport exit fee ($29pp) while at the Andaz to a) save you time at the airport and b) to avoid the fee being charged as a "cash advance" by the airport (might as well get some points with multipliers, right?).

Also, for anyone wanting to explore Coco or Hermosa and not renting a car, be sure to do so on your way to the hotel (arrange it with your transfer service, if possible). Taxi fares are about a minimum $60-75 r/t from the resort to those areas. You can factor this into those "They charge THAT MUCH for dinner at the resort?!" type of internal debates.

As it seems a number of us are heading down to CR in May, I'm sure this thread will grow quite a bit with useful reports about what to do, what not to do, etc. I pretend to be a novice photographer (aka I take 10,000 photos and play the fairly decent odds that 10 of them will turn out above average), so I will be sure to get a lot of photos, as well. healthnut and Jay00848, be sure to check back as you start preparing for departure.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Fairmont, SPG, AA, WN
The Andaz Papagayo site shows the $180 rate wiht free breakfast, $100 resort credit with 14 day cancellation policy.

Terms & Conditions

Cancellation of this reservation is subject to the hotel cancellation policy.
Cancel 14 Days Prior To Arrival To Avoid Penalty

Deposit Policy
Deposit Required By April 4, 2014. Deposit By Credit Card Required. 1 Night(S) Deposit Will Be Charged To Credit Card.

Reservation Guarantee:
Please be assured that when you book on Hyatt.com, your reservation is automatically delivered to the Hyatt hotel property worldwide and we will have a record of your reservation and confirmation number upon your arrival. Please read ourReservation Guarantee
Old Apr 5, 2014, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mastermind
The Andaz Papagayo site shows the $180 rate wiht free breakfast, $100 resort credit with 14 day cancellation policy.
Wow, fantastic find! I called the Diamond line and they said this was an eligible rate, so I changed my booking to this now and they were able to move over my suite upgrades. This works out to an effective rate of $152 per night now for my 10-night stay (pre tax/resort fee) after factoring in the $100 resort credit plus using my Gift Certs bought at 10% off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.