Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Gift Card Discount for Hyatt Gold Passport members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
4th Quarter 2014 10% Discount Info

Purchase Link:
www.hyattgiftcards.com
merchant.sgiftcard.com/chrome_mode/virtual/hyatt_us (beta)

Discount code:
GPGIFT14

What's the difference between the types that can be purchased?
Gift Cards and e-cards:
  • Can only be used at Hyatt hotels in the U.S., Canada and Caribbean.
  • Retain unused value across multiple transactions
  • Free e-delivery or free USPS shipping (or paid Fedex)
Gift Checks:
  • Can be used at Hyatt hotels globally. International use is applied using hotel's currency conversion rate.
  • Can only be used for a single transaction
  • Fedex shipping only

Expiration Info
  • The discount for purchasing the cards expires at 11:59 pm CST on December 31, 2014 an undetermined time shortly after 12:00pm (noon) CST on Thursday, Jan. 1st, 2015.
  • Hyatt Gift Cards and Check Certificates purchased from Hyatt at www.hyattgiftcards.com do not expire. Details in this post.

Shipping Cost
  • eGift Card, digital delivery is free
  • Plastic cards, USPS delivery is free. Fedex delivery available for a fee.
  • Gift checks, only Fedex delivery (for a fee).

Purchase Limits
  • $2000 per gift card
  • $10000 per purchaser, per day
  • No overall cap for purchases spread across multiple days

Available amounts:
Purchase amount must be between $10 and $2000 in increments of $5.

Purchase bonuses
  • 5% rebate for Amex OPEN? YES
  • 3x points using Chase Hyatt card? YES
  • 2x points using Chase Southwest card? YES
  • 2x points using Chase Sapphire Preferred? YES
  • 2x points using Chase Ink Bold for hotel spend? YES
  • Barclays Arrival bonus for travel spend? NO
    Costco Amex travel rebate NO
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Gift Card Discount for Hyatt Gold Passport members

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by jasonq
Thanks for that info! I finally figured out what's going on... I think it has to do with my browser. I was using chrome & it didn't work but now I am on IE it's working perfectly...
Strange. I used chrome without any issues.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Strange. I used chrome without any issues.
Same here, just purchased 2 cards without any issues using Chrome.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jasonq
Thanks for that info! I finally figured out what's going on... I think it has to do with my browser. I was using chrome & it didn't work but now I am on IE it's working perfectly...
If you cut and paste, you might end up with a space at the end, and therefore the code won't be recognized.

Question to the Hyatt Lurker - can international customers buy for use in the US? On the credit card page I couldn't figure out how to input an international billing address.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:08 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge
Original Poster

Hello craigthemif,

If you click "buy Hyatt Check" it lets you select a gift card or gift check and that will work with an international address.

Thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
I have upcoming stays at Andaz Liverpool Street ($500) , Hyatt Regency Churchill ($550) and Park Hyatt Vienna ($500).

If I buy check certificates, is it smarter to buy separate certicicates (in this case 3) in the amounts I will use for each hotel or just one check certificate where the balance keeps getting lowered after each stay?

Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, CC Gld, Marriott Gld
Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me
I have upcoming stays at Andaz Liverpool Street ($500) , Hyatt Regency Churchill ($550) and Park Hyatt Vienna ($500).

If I buy check certificates, is it smarter to buy separate certicicates (in this case 3) in the amounts I will use for each hotel or just one check certificate where the balance keeps getting lowered after each stay?

Thank you in advance.
If I recall correctly, you cannot use a gift check more than once. If the charge is less than the total amount of the gift check, you would be forfeiting the remainder by using it. Therefore, it is better to get these in smaller increments.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
Originally Posted by Jrap33
If I recall correctly, you cannot use a gift check more than once. If the charge is less than the total amount of the gift check, you would be forfeiting the remainder by using it. Therefore, it is better to get these in smaller increments.
Yikes!

Is that true? That's horrible.

I guess the idea is to just buy a bunch of $25 certificates then and pay one shipping cost, no?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Stupid question here.

Using Chase Hyatt card

Buy Card for 10% off
get 3x the points

check into hotel, stay four nights, pay with card and maybe a little more with
your credit card

You are only getting 5x points for the amount that you charge to your chase card

So, 1000 USD GC, purchased for 900 USD, gains you 2700 points

Check into hotel and bill is 1200, pay 1000 in GC and the rest on the visa and get 200 USD x5 = 1000 pts

Versus

Paying the whole bill on your visa and getting 6000 pts.

Am I missing something here?

Yes - because you can buy 3000 points for 72 USD, so you are still saving 28 USD by using the gift cards.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:25 pm
Company Rep - Hyatt Gift Cards & Hyatt Nights

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport
AMEX Open Savings

FT'ers,

A number of you have posted regarding the AMEX Open Savings not posting to your AMEX account in a timely manner. While this is a function of American Express, and not Hyatt, I did check with AMEX today, and they informed me they are having delays in postings and it can take up to several weeks.

Thanks!

Todd Tomlin
Manager - Hyatt Gift Cards and Certificates
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by lalala
Stupid question here.

Check into hotel and bill is 1200, pay 1000 in GC and the rest on the visa and get 200 USD x5 = 1000 pts
Versus

Let's ask Hyatt Lurker for some clarification on this point.

The way I read this thread, the 5X points on checkout will be for the entire $1200 bill, not $200 as in your example. The fact that $1000 of the bill was paid via a Hyatt Gift Card won't affect the base 5X GP earning rate...

Todd, is this true?

The 3X bonus Chase cardholders get for $'s spent at/with Hyatt...which is incremental to the 5X points for $'s spent on Hyatt stays regardless of payment method - is apparently also earned for $'s spent on these gift cards...resulting in 8X total earnout (plus status bonuses) on stays paid for with a Hyatt Gift Card.

Corrections or confirmations, please?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Stupid question here.

Using Chase Hyatt card

Buy Card for 10% off
get 3x the points

your credit card

You are only getting 5x points for the amount that you charge to your chase card

Versus

Yes - because you can buy 3000 points for 72 USD, so you are still saving 28 USD by using the gift cards.
You should get the full 5 points per $ spent at the hotel, even if you use a gift card. So here is a comparison of three options for a $1,000 stay (ignoring Diamond/Platinum status bonus, diamond amenity, etc.):

Option 1. $1,000 Stay Using Hyatt Credit Card
  • Pay $1,000
  • $1,000 x 5 Hyatt points per $ (Points for Stay)
  • $1,000 x 3 Hyatt points per $ (Points for CC)
  • Total: Pay $1,000, Get 8,000 Hyatt Points

Option 2. $1,000 Stay Using Gift Card Bought With Hyatt Credit Card
  • 10% Discount on Gift Card Purchases
  • Pay $900
  • $900 x 3 Hyatt points per $ (Points for CC)
  • Total: Pay $900, Get 7,700 Hyatt Points

Option 3. $1,000 Stay Using Gift Card Bought With SPG Amex Open Credit Card
  • 10% Discount
  • 5% Cash back
  • Pay $855
  • $900 x 1 SPG Point per $ (Points for CC)
  • Total: Pay $855, Get 5,000 Hyatt Points & 900 SPG Points
  • (Though someone will need to verify that the SPG points are based on the total $900 spent, and not the $855 post cash back cost).

If you put a point value at $0.015 for Hyatt points and $0.025 for SPG points (my personal valuation I use), this would mean your net cost after factoring in the value of points you are receiving is:

Option 1 Net Cost: $880
Option 2 Net Cost: $784.50
Option 3 Net Cost: $757.50
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Great work. Thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:43 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know that the gift card website was updated from when I looked a week ago, and the Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall and Hyatt Zilara Rose hall now both accept the Gift Cards. No need to worry about exchange fees with those. Great news for me (gonna save me a ton of money on my week stay over x-mas).
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Using Chase Hyatt card

Buy Card for 10% off
get 3x the points

your credit card

Using Hyatt gift certificates, I get 5 points/$ spent when paying with the certificate (plus status bonus, etc.) The only thing I give up is the 3 points/$ because I don't use the Hyatt card, but I got points when buying the certificates so that's close to a wash. (I didn't get points for money I didn't spend, not exactly a losing proposition; at the extreme, if they sold me the certificates for $0 I wouldn't get any points for buying them, and I'd be all over that deal.)
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:20 pm
Company Rep - Hyatt Gift Cards & Hyatt Nights

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by SportsTech
Let's ask Hyatt Lurker for some clarification on this point.

The way I read this thread, the 5X points on checkout will be for the entire $1200 bill, not $200 as in your example. The fact that $1000 of the bill was paid via a Hyatt Gift Card won't affect the base 5X GP earning rate...

Todd, is this true?
SportsTech - You are correct. Eligible spend during a stay, paid for by a Hyatt Gift Card or Check Certificate earns the base points for the spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.