Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Gold Passport Award Chart Update Effective January 7, 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Gold Passport Award Chart Update Effective January 7, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 4:51 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Ramonmv
I'm the other way around. I mainly travel for pleasure, and usually to Maui.
In fact, I just let a Hyatt reward night go unused, because I had no reason to stay at a Cat 4 or lower hotel in the past year. The previous year, I was able to use it for a wedding I attended. I'll try to make a point of using next year's, but if i stay somewhere nearby, like SF, the parking fee is so high, it's hardly a free night.

I still keep the Hyatt cc, for the Platinum status, and for the bonus points they offer throughout the year, and because they don't have a minimum spend for that anniversary night, like Fairmont & Hilton do.

In the end, this change doesn't affect me too much. I can actually now stay at the HR Maui for less points than before, and I'm getting a 5-night Andaz Maui visit in before that rate goes up.

Like someone else said, inflation is a part of this. The cash prices go up, so you have to expect the points rates to go up, as well.
That's what we are expected to think
Looking back just 3 years ago and over a decade
Hyatt didn't run the redemption end of program tied to inflation
They ran a very fair balanced system when it came down to redemption as a way to thank members for their loyalty.

Today its going the way of Marriott and Hilton and others more closely
What they are doing today is a totally different system of revenue enhancement/reduced liability/risk management
Old Nov 11, 2013, 5:02 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Fanjet
There are a good number of hotels in categories 1 and 2, where the weekday rates are in excess of $100-$125 per night. So if four free nights at one of those hotels equals one night in one of the higher categories, that is a better value for me. I can find decent hotel rooms in the cities with the high hotels categories for less than $400-$500 per night. I've stayed at the PH Zurich. It is not worth with 30K points (or even 22K points) per night IMO.
These are exactly the select properties that I refer too that are going to go on the do not stay list especially in markets where
Radisson Blu, Conrad and others can be for example 40 % less or better on average and sometimes have considerably
better newer or better renovated properties for the money spent. I used the Park Hyatt Chicago previously as one such example.

Carlson Club members that have their co branded Visa credit card every two redeemed nights gets the 3rd night free burying
these new premium GP redemption rates.
There aren't many solid options in the US but there are plenty of options overseas
In Europe and elsewhere globally the Club Carlson savings on redemptions can be significant.
And they guarantee 100% guest satisfaction/experience at each and every stay.

IHG InterContinental Hotels/Priority Club luxury properties are currently on par with redemption rates @ pre Hyatt devaluation rates
If one has the Priority Club Visa one gets a return back of a 10% rebate on any redemption in any property^
The annual fee more than pays off with a free night at any category which may be redeemed at any property in the world even for a non elite member!!

At Hyatt not even a customer who does 100 nights a year can go over a category 4 property on the annual free Hyatt Visa night which I find unacceptable
but especially now with these changes.
I'm holding hope there is a here's the bad news (devaluation) and now for the good news scenario coming
Also going to check out Fairmont hotels for my luxury hotel choices in the US
I miss the one in Los Angeles that once was a Sheraton the old Miramar in Santa Monica

Keeping the options more open now and of course have to see if IHG and Club Carlson play the look me to devaluation card
I hate to think that's where this is going but wouldn't be surprised based on the devaluation trend this year.
Devaluations show me that diversifying is the best way to stay protected than to put all your eggs in one basket
Especially as I don't believe in the earn and burn idea all the time being a hoarder to some degree of miles and points

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Nov 11, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Old Nov 11, 2013, 5:26 pm

Devaluation here is always crappy, but stepping back 30k for top tier properties is still competitive with other programs (e.g. SPG at 30-35k for top places). 22k was absolutely awesome - no doubt sad to see it go- but could be worse.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Well, as much as I'm hating HGP today...

I only redeem points for aspirational stays. I've collected nearly a million points before I did a major redemption, then used half of them for Maldives and Andaz Maui (here on property now) trips. That said (that aspirational redeemers are the types being hit hardest) -

If the hotels removed their programs completely, so there was no free nights to be had, Hyatt would be my choice for the Diamond treatment (I have been and will be Diamond for many years it seems) - lounge access, breakfast, internet, late check out, rare upgrades (I seem to never be able to use the four/year ones), private line/agent, etc.

So, when HGP devalues and it's not as bad as the HORRIFIC HH one this year, or Marriott's recent ones, I guess I'm not changing (yet).
Old Nov 11, 2013, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Award stays at all but Category 1 properties have been hit by this devaluation. [Category 2-4 hotel devaluation hit is via the club/suite pricing changes.]

All Category 5-6 award stays are increasing in cost in points (even for standard rooms).

In other words, most full-service Hyatt properties are going to have higher prices in points for standard rooms and/or clubs/suites.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ramonmv
Like someone else said, inflation is a part of this. The cash prices go up, so you have to expect the points rates to go up, as well.
When it comes to those Hyatt properties never made available for booking via Priceline/Hotwire "opaque"-bookings over the past ten years, the price in Hyatt points has risen far more than published rates in USD terms for the same.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by RTW1
This whole thing really has nothing to do with being fair.... Did you notice not a single reason was given for the changes. They simply feel they can get away with it....
Why do you want them to make up some reason for the devaluation? We all know the reason for the devaluation, which is that they want to reduce current liabilities on the books and to limit future liabilities. The only reasons that FFPs give for devaluations are false excuses.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:03 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by canyonleo
Just wait until the next recession (OK, the next recession that affects rich people too) and the travel industry changes cycle, and it's a "buyers market"... we'll see some return to normal rates (in the form or earning inflation with bonuses, FFN promotions, and better card terms for free nights) - but until then, (a) these changes to top property awards sucks, and (b) HGP is still better than HH or Marriott.
The question is, with the tremendous devaluation we've seen in most programs (and again, Hyatt is probably the least bad), what will they do when that next economic downturn comes? IMO, the severe devaluations at HH and Marriott have completely robbed these programs of the ability to fine-tune promos. Who in their right mind would direct extra stays to HH if they offer a 2500 point per-stay bonus? You'd have to stay 40 nights for a free night at Conrad Tokyo, and 20 nights for a HGI near Reno International Airport. Nothing but a full-fledged FFN-type promo will attract people to these gutted programs.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:31 pm

Perfectly reasonable

Everyone knew changes were coming (and you still have ample time to make new reservations and hopefully burn some UA miles while doing so for flights).

If you find the revisions so unreasonable, please move on to another hotel program and leave the prime redemptions available for those that remain loyal to Hyatt.

Yes, a three night stay in a suite at the Park Hyatt Tokyo is going up by a whopping 45,000 points but the prior level was an absolute bargain. There are still many wonderful category six properties that "only" went up by 3,000 points.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist
I appreciate the timing because it guarantees that I, along with many others, won't make a push to top off status with end of year stays. I'm pretty close to 50 nights but this devaluation indicates that it's not worth trying to be exclusive with Hyatt going forward. Having been a Diamond for a couple years it's nice but never a big difference maker worth chasing anymore.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Glad I just burned a bunch of points at PHT last month.

After not being Diamond for some time was going to come back to Hyatt but moving on to other places now.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Crazy how people are accepting the changes. "reasonable, not too bad, better than HH..." are the dominant comment here. For a 36% increase on top tier hotels, far more than the price inflation of last years.
Marketing did a excellent job !
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
The very top properties were undervalued in my opinion. 22k points for the Vendome is a steal considering at SPG the Prince de Galles is 30k - 35k.

Also considering you get 6.5 points per $ at Hyatt vs. 3 points at SPG per $ as top tier members I knew this would have to happen sooner or later.

Certainly not a happy announcement but not unexpected.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Vinodavid
The very top properties were undervalued in my opinion. 22k points for the Vendome is a steal considering at SPG the Prince de Galles is 30k - 35k.

Also considering you get 6.5 points per $ at Hyatt vs. 3 points at SPG per $ as top tier members I knew this would have to happen sooner or later.

Certainly not a happy announcement but not unexpected.
Comparing apples with oranges.

Every program has different ways to collect points, some are easier/harder, some are just way overpriced.

It is no secret that is makes no sense anymore to use SPG Points for Hotel stays. The only reasonable thing is to convert them to airline miles.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Comparing apples with oranges.

Every program has different ways to collect points, some are easier/harder, some are just way overpriced.

It is no secret that is makes no sense anymore to use SPG Points for Hotel stays. The only reasonable thing is to convert them to airline miles.
Well, that isn't what we many of us think over at the Starwood forum.

Spg has:

5th night free on award
Suite upgrades on award stays (not guaranteed, but I get them 80% of the time;I know others don't however)
Award nights count towards status

I'm going to Paris in June and will stay at the Westin Vendome, not the PH Vendome as I am treated well there and get great suites. My experience at the PH Vendome was not as good even though I was Diamond at the time.

Now if I could get a real suite at the PH Vendome for 33k points, that would be different, but I don't like attic rooms no matter how nice the furnishings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.