Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Zilara Cancun REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Zilara Cancun REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:57 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Award Redemption

Hello Flyertalkers,

Happy Monday! I am happy to report that the issue is fixed and if you would like to book the Hyatt Zilara with points, availability is open.

Please let us know if you have any questions or need any assistance.

Happy Travels,

Dana M.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:14 pm

Dana, are you sure- I just tried and it didn't work. Also, can we now make reservation using free nights from Visa card?

Thanks.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:19 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by trey
Dana, are you sure- I just tried and it didn't work. Also, can we now make reservation using free nights from Visa card?

Thanks.
Hi,

Hyatt Card free nights can be redeemed here. Please DM your dates, and I can assist you.

Sincerely,

Nick B.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:54 pm

Booking with points still doesn't work for me.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by blues008
Booking with points still doesn't work for me.
Looks like this can only be done over the phone. Also, looks to me like rates are only loaded up to about September 2014.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Suites vs. Suites.

I just booked an award using points at this property for next summer (June).

An interesting thing of note is that I inquired what the difference was in accomodations between a standard award (25K pts/night) and a suite award (40K pts/night). I inquired specifically because the square footage between an entry level jr. suite was listed as the same for a standard king suite (653) and the only difference I could see was that the premium room specified high floor.

The Diamond Line rep actually called the hotel to see if there were any other differences that came with the 15k point/night difference. There is NO other difference. It is solely a higher floor.

To be sure, there are other, bigger suites (i.e. swim up) listed on the website, but the suite redemption level does not book into those. I suppose you could hope for that but I am not banking on that for 15K pts/night extra.

I will hope for a Diamond bump to something nicer available but at least I won't be putting points behind those hopes. Afterall, this isn't a high floor in a NYC property; I will be on the beach most of the time anyways!

Just an FYI.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:31 pm

I just wanted to post about my experience. I haven't stayed at a Hyatt in a long time. My wife travels for her work on a weekly basis and has Platinum status with Starwoods, but for a quick last minute trip we decided to try this hotel. It got good reviews on Tripadvisor, the photos looked gorgeous, and the last minute prices were good, though still not "cheap."

So when I went to book, I clicked on the Hotel Website page on Trip Advisor. It looked like this:

You'll forgive me for assuming that because it had the Hyatt logos and because I got there through Trip Advisor this was an official site for the hotel.

As I was about to find out, very painfully, this was not the case. Apparently, they are "Real Resorts" and claim to be a "call center" for the Hyatt Zilara. Hyatt, in the many times I talked to them, disavows any knowledge of the company. They are a third party also known by the name E-Travel Solution.

When I logged into my wife's Gold Passport account, the reservation didn't show up. I called them up and Gold Passport had no record of the reservation. The hotel ended up having it, but not Gold Passport. This was a little annoying at first, but turned into a big deal later.

On Sunday night (last night) my flight to Cancun got canceled due to the ice storm in Dallas, where I live. After a call to AA (where I was on hold for 5 hours!) I was able to totally cancel the plane flight. Dealing with the hotel reservation turned out not to be so easy.

Real Resorts claim that the hotel requires that they charge me a one night penalty. When I talked to Hyatt Gold Passport (and they talked to the hotel), they assured me this is not correct. I talked to four members of the Gold Passport team: a man whose name I didn't get, Jenny, Maggie and Elaine (who seemed to be a more senior member) during this process. They told me that Real Resorts never even talked to the hotel.

When I told Real Resorts this, they categorically denied it. "I am not lying to you, Mr. XXX." I told them I wasn't convinced of that, the woman there offered to put me in a conference call with someone from the hotel. I held on the line. She came back and without even apologizing told me that she couldn't talk to someone over there, so did I want my refund with a 500 dollar penalty attached?

In the end, I had to take it. Even if I didn't cancel my flight, there is little likelihood that I could get to Cancun before the week is over, and this is the week we had off (thus the last minute trip).

The people at the Gold Passport desk were always sympathetic, always friendly, and always helpful to a point, but none seemed willing to step up and truly champion this. They seemed reluctant to call up the actual hotel to check on things. And they especially seemed eager to say that the 500 dollar cancellation penalty was the third party's problem. I would have been happy with a Hyatt credit for the amount. Maybe after talking to Elaine about this something like that will happen. I'll keep you posted. But I don't have my hopes up.

My issue is this: Hyatt needs to protect their brand. Perhaps we have just been spoiled with status at Starwood, but I believe that Starwood properties would have at least stepped up and offered to compensate us for the penalty that this third party was charging us even if they couldn't figure out a way to make the third party stop charging us the penalty. They realize that as the central properties, they have tools that an individual simply does not to deal with these things.

For what it's worth, I even had insurance on this. But the insurance was only good up to 48 hours beforehand.

Anyway, I apologize for the long vent of a post. I wrote a shorter message to Hyatt (because of the limited space they provide) and a warning to trip advisor, where this has its genesis, but I figure this can serve as a warning: make your reservation at this property very carefully. I am still not entirely sure what the relationship between the Hyatt, the Hyatt Zilara and Real Resorts is, but there is something not-right about it.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:51 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I agree that the website can create confusion... although when you look at it it's made quite clearly that you are dealing with Real Resorts and not with Hyatt directly. Something I assume would also be quite clear from the confirmation e-mail you must have gotten. It's a bit of a new situation since Real/Playa seems to be the first Hyatt franchise..... that would make it something different than your average 3rd party:

The rebranding is the direct result of the resort’s new partner/owner, Playa Hotels & Resorts B.V., exclusive agreement with Hyatt to be the first franchise and management company forHyatt’s entry into the all-inclusive resort segment. Playa, which has merged with Real Resorts,has exclusive rights for five years (through 2018), to own and manage the new all-inclusive Hyatt brands, Hyatt Zilara (adult-only resorts) and Hyatt Ziva(family-friendly resorts), in five Caribbean and Latin American countries.

But that hardly seems relevant. You simply didn't meet the cancellation policy and are therefore expected to pay the penalty. Exactly the same as when you would have booked with Hyatt directly, they also have a cancellation policy when cancelling within that 48hr window. That's what insurance is for, it's not Hyatt's (or anyone else's) problem that your flight got cancelled and you decided to cancel everything. Insurance that doesn't cover that seems rather useless to me?

But it's a tough situation, not enjoying Cancun and having to pay a penalty as well. But it seems unrealistic to expect Hyatt to cover a penalty that you have agreed to pay by accepting your reservations.

Last edited by RTW1; Dec 10, 2013 at 2:02 am
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Suite upgrade?

Has anyone been able to use a suite upgrade at this property? I had read on a blog that the hotel accepts suite upgrades to higher category suites and sure enough was able to apply one to a reservation next month. But when I looked at my confirmation e-mail, it became apparent that the hotel had simply charged me for the higher suite category and taken my suite upgrade cert as well. I got my suite upgrade back but was told that no suite upgrades certs could be used.

Gold Passport Concierge, do you know more?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
I agree that the website can create confusion... although when you look at it it's made quite clearly that you are dealing with Real Resorts and not with Hyatt directly. Something I assume would also be quite clear from the confirmation e-mail you must have gotten. It's a bit of a new situation since Real/Playa seems to be the first Hyatt franchise..... that would make it something different than your average 3rd party:

The rebranding is the direct result of the resort’s new partner/owner, Playa Hotels & Resorts B.V., exclusive agreement with Hyatt to be the first franchise and management company forHyatt’s entry into the all-inclusive resort segment. Playa, which has merged with Real Resorts,has exclusive rights for five years (through 2018), to own and manage the new all-inclusive Hyatt brands, Hyatt Zilara (adult-only resorts) and Hyatt Ziva(family-friendly resorts), in five Caribbean and Latin American countries.

But that hardly seems relevant. You simply didn't meet the cancellation policy and are therefore expected to pay the penalty. Exactly the same as when you would have booked with Hyatt directly, they also have a cancellation policy when cancelling within that 48hr window. That's what insurance is for, it's not Hyatt's (or anyone else's) problem that your flight got cancelled and you decided to cancel everything. Insurance that doesn't cover that seems rather useless to me?

But it's a tough situation, not enjoying Cancun and having to pay a penalty as well. But it seems unrealistic to expect Hyatt to cover a penalty that you have agreed to pay by accepting your reservations.
I agree it's not anyone's fault that the flights got canceled, although I don't agree with the characterization that I simply "decided to cancel everything" as if it were some frivolous cancellation. I won't go into details of my personal situation, but suffice it to say moving it by the number of days that would be required to fly out next would be unavailable.

My point was more this: Hyatt, unlike the individual consumer, has the ability to pressure its franchisees to use policies that are not unforgiving in situations like this. The application of a fee or whatever is certainly understandable in many situations. You don't want people canceling on a whim. But if you're concerned about your brand and you're concerned about repeat customers, you can do things that humanize your company. And whether or not your policies (or those of your closely related third party's policies) state 48 hours (or whatever), you still have discretion to bend those policies in unusual circumstances.

Thankfully, I think Hyatt seems to have agreed with me. I got a call a few minutes ago from the third party telling me that they have decided to waive the penalty. I suspect, though they did not say so directly, that someone from Hyatt stepped in to contact this company. If that is the case (and having spoken at length to Real Resorts I have to believe they did), I am grateful for Hyatt's intervention.

My takeaway for the general reading population wasn't intended to be "Hyatt sucks," so I apologize if it came off that way. Quite the opposite in some ways. Dealing with the Gold Passport office was at least professional and efficient. The message, rather, was intended to be:

Be careful and try to book directly with Hyatt rather than this Real Resorts company. At the very least you'll get customer service that doesn't feel like they're being purposefully difficult if not outright lying to you. And if something does come up, you can deal with fewer parties.

Anyway, for me at least all is well that ends well.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by zoraster
My point was more this: Hyatt, unlike the individual consumer, has the ability to pressure its franchisees to use policies that are not unforgiving in situations like this. The application of a fee or whatever is certainly understandable in many situations. You don't want people canceling on a whim. But if you're concerned about your brand and you're concerned about repeat customers, you can do things that humanize your company. And whether or not your policies (or those of your closely related third party's policies) state 48 hours (or whatever), you still have discretion to bend those policies in unusual circumstances.
It's nice for you that it ended well... but I simply don't agree. If you have a cancellation policy you better enforce it or you shouldn't have it in the first place (that's why cancellation policies that state something like 4pm on the day of arrival make so much more sense). I wouldn't want arbitrary judgements if a cancellation is deemed sufficiently justified. Missing a flight due to weather is always a risk, it's hardly something special or requiring discretion.

But good for you that you got away without a penalty. It's good customer service but now it will be a tough one for them to charge anybody such a penalty.....
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:39 pm

Has anyone stayed here since the changeover who can give a recent report? The tripadvisor reviews are generally scathing, particularly regarding the food.

Thanks
Old Dec 22, 2013, 3:12 pm

Has anyone used points or chase free nights to book online? Looking to make a booking for my wife and I and don't seem to find any availability to book online.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cdrwf150
Has anyone used points or chase free nights to book online? Looking to make a booking for my wife and I and don't seem to find any availability to book online.
I made a reservation using my Chase feee nights, but it had to be done over the phone.

Chase nights and points for suites book into the 'Premium Ocean View Junior Suite.'

Debating keeping this vs. using far fewer points to stay at the Westin in Cabo.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Peatisback
I made a reservation using my Chase feee nights, but it had to be done over the phone.

Chase nights and points for suites book into the 'Premium Ocean View Junior Suite.'

Debating keeping this vs. using far fewer points to stay at the Westin in Cabo.
Thanks for the information! The booking into the Premium Ocean View Junior Suite was helpful! I was worried that they book into the non-premium one which didn't seem available for part of the time we wanted to stay there. I was able to call and book 2 nights using the Visa Free nights and will call back to book the rest of the stay on points once the anticipated points from the spend post.

We too were considering Cabo but picked Cancun because we were able to find US Air flights in first there that were convenient during the get 50% of your spent miles back promotion in November so in the end I think it cost us 27,500 miles rt per person which seemed like a great bargain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.