Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

CHASE Free night certificate question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

I did do a quick search regarding my dilemma and am hoping to find a way out. Basically I thought I found a way to use my soon to be expiring Chase free night certs in San Francisco later this month. Prior to booking airline tickets I checked availability and all three Hyatt properties in the city showed availability on the dates which I needed for what I thought were regular rooms. So I quick used 2 UAL certificates and booked airfare from our city. I called up Hyatt to book the hotel and found out this fact I had missed in the T & C's... Only "standard" rooms are able to be booked with the certificates. Apparently even the rooms that just say "City view" (as opposed to "Bay View") are not considered standard. My only options are the Hyatt at SFO or one in Santa Rosa (about 70 miles away). Can anyone advise a way around this? I have about 22 hours now to cancel my airline tickets and obtain a refund- but I think I will lose the $100 each certificate value for those. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Redeemed
I think I will lose the $100 each certificate value for those. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Yes, you will.

As far as checking availability, there is "reserve" button under your free night award in your account. The only work around is hope availability changes or see if GP customer service can help

Last edited by LilZeppelin; Sep 4, 2013 at 9:03 pm
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
and why can't you stay in a std room???????

I did do a quick search regarding my dilemma and am hoping to find a way out. Basically I thought I found a way to use my soon to be expiring Chase free night certs in San Francisco later this month. Prior to booking airline tickets I checked availability and all three Hyatt properties in the city showed availability on the dates which I needed for what I thought were regular rooms. So I quick used 2 UAL certificates and booked airfare from our city. I called up Hyatt to book the hotel and found out this fact I had missed in the T & C's... Only "standard" rooms are able to be booked with the certificates. Apparently even the rooms that just say "City view" (as opposed to "Bay View") are not considered standard. My only options are the Hyatt at SFO or one in Santa Rosa (about 70 miles away). Can anyone advise a way around this? I have about 22 hours now to cancel my airline tickets and obtain a refund- but I think I will lose the $100 each certificate value for those. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

I don't mind at all staying in a standard room...the issue is that Hyatt will only let you redeem the certicates for "standard rooms" and apparently on the dates I need there are no standard rooms available. There are "City View" rooms available at the Grand Hyatt but these are not considered standard. I questioned what other view is there if a "City view" is not considered standard and the agent told me the room category would say standard. So in a nutshell of all the Hyatt (inc. Hyatt Place) properties in San Francisco the only only that had a "standard" room available was the airport property. The T & C's state that there are no black out dates so I thought I would be able to reserve a non-suite type room categorized as "City view". Very disappointing.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Can anyone advise a way around this? I have about 22 hours now to cancel my airline tickets and obtain a refund- but I think I will lose the $100 each certificate value for those. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

It isn't ideal, but you might try splitting the reservation and see if there is availability at one property for one night and different property the second night, or one night at the SFO property and another night in the city proper. Then, keep checking availability, and see if a night opens up so that you can be at one place for both nights.

If it were me, I book the SFO airport property and keep checking for cancellations/availability in town, rather than cancelling my entire trip.

Last edited by bdemaria; Sep 4, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.