Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 18, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by Fraggable
Ok fine, whatever, I'm sure the Conrads in Asia are better, my point is that it's certainly not anything to complain about since they downgraded diamonds from the full breakfast.
Conrad? First of all, thats a Hilton property. Second of all, You dont need an Andaz, Park, or even Grand in Asia to have better food than what the Andaz Maui breakfast is now for Diamonds. I can think of several asian regencys that surpass it easily.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Fraggable
I checked in here on the 16th and have another 6 nights, if anyone wants to know anything about the property let me know and I'll do my best to find out. I'm here on a diamond challenge as well.

As for breakfast, I can confirm that diamonds now get the 'pantry' breakfast ($28 value + gratuity included) instead of the full $45 option that includes the omelet station, more meats, etc. the Pantry breakfast is still far and away the best hotel breakfast you're likely to see anywhere - and you get one side order such as bacon, chicken sausage, potatoes, etc.

I'm here on 4 nights from 2 Hyatt credit cards plus 88k hyatt points for the other 4 nights (booked pre-devaluation). I did not receive an upgrade at checkin, was quoted prices of $400 for a suite upgrade.

The hotel itself is by far the most amazing hotel I've been to. Given I haven't been to the Maldives or any other Andaz's or St. Regis's for that matter (fairly new to points and miles), but my vote is that this is the best hotel ever!

Now as long as hurricane Ana doesn't get any worse here, I'm expecting to have one of the best stays imaginable.
I appreciate your enthusiasm but I think as you gain more travel experience you will find that there are many amazing hotel breakfast buffets and the Andaz's Pantry breakfast isn't one of them.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by coffee18
My Elite Rate.
TY, should have figured that abbreviation out.

ITA that reducing benefits is perilous vs. starting more spartan and then ratcheting up.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JetAway
I appreciate your enthusiasm but I think as you gain more travel experience you will find that there are many amazing hotel breakfast buffets and the Andaz's Pantry breakfast isn't one of them.
But at least you get a nice view of an amazing breakfast!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro/4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Me and my family just completed a 7 night stay (it was actually our second visit since they opened) and we continue to love this property. It's definitely on our "top 5 Hyatts" list.

I agree that it was a bad strategy to offer substantial perks and then take them away (rather than offer a few things to see how it works and potentially add things on later). It always feels tacky or cheap when things are taken away, not to mention if you're returning to a property because you enjoyed a certain perk and now it's missing, it's very frustrating and disappointing. I hope management can learn from this and plan better for the future to avoid guest disappointment and frustration.

That said, the staff at this property are top-notch and they truly care about the guests. They all remembered us from our last stay (which was 9 months ago) and most of them even remembered our names. That shows they are truly paying attention and cared about us when we were there last time, which makes it feel special.

About the reduction in the breakfast, yes, it happened, but I have zero complaints about it. The servers were very respectful in explaining the change (especially since they knew we had stayed back when you got all options.) And we enjoyed the breakfast as much as last time. The bonus sides were basically what you got from the "hot side" anyway (like eggs, bacon, potatoes, etc.)

Anyway, I could go on and on about how much I love this property, but the short version is that the Andaz Maui at Wailea is an amazing resort, with an amazing location and view, and an amazing staff that treat you like family.

I hope anyone reading this who is considering staying here will know that it's a top-tier hotel with beautiful views and an amazing staff that really care and you won't regret it.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:38 pm

Diamond member (non-trial) in the middle of a short paid stay using a DSU. I generally agree with the above--it's a great resort. But the treatment of Diamond members is indeed a bit puzzling. They initially allocated me a lame first floor suite ("partial ocean view" would be a real stretch by any definition) even though the resort is not very busy and they had available (and were selling) much better suites. What could possibly be the point of that? They fixed the situation after I complained, but that's not a nice way to start a vacation. I thought the Diamond (pantry) breakfast was very good and think only a crazy person would let that influence their decision to stay here.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by dgross
The Spa benefit has also changed. You receive a certificate for 10% off spa services or products. No more free access to spa pool, sauna, etc.
What is this about? I'm looking forward to my second stay at the property next month. Last year as a non-Diamond I had access to the sauna, and the website still says the saunas and pools are open to all guests.

"Complimentary use of spa facilities for resort guests includes access to the tranquility pool, sauna, steam and plunge pools located in the Men's and Women's locker room facilities."

http://maui.andaz.hyatt.com/property...ities/spa.html

Is the website wrong?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by loudnotes
What is this about? I'm looking forward to my second stay at the property next month. Last year as a non-Diamond I had access to the sauna, and the website still says the saunas and pools are open to all guests.

"Complimentary use of spa facilities for resort guests includes access to the tranquility pool, sauna, steam and plunge pools located in the Men's and Women's locker room facilities."

Is the website wrong?
Lots of things have changed in the past year. The website isn't one of them.

Maybe you should print this out for safekeeping and show it to the staff when you go.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: Herz PC, Gold Starwood, Platinum Holiday Inn
hi,
any update regarding parking ? Any recent expirience with the mall / park
thanks
JR
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Delta Plat
No more C+P at all?

Hi all,

Just got off the phone with the Diamond desk, and according to the agent I spoke to (who went back and checked this), Andaz Maui will no longer offer C+P - period. Has anyone else heard this?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by loudnotes

Is the website wrong?
You are mixing up two different things. The discount is for spa services such as massage. The use of the pool, etc. is still free. Or at least it was 2 weeks ago when I was there!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:02 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by hilmar
Hi all,

Just got off the phone with the Diamond desk, and according to the agent I spoke to (who went back and checked this), Andaz Maui will no longer offer C+P - period. Has anyone else heard this?
Yes, I've been trying to book for August 2015, my private line agent said that the property no longer offers P&C. They can do a DSU with other paid rates though. What's fishy to me is that there are no suites available for points reservations though.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:09 pm

Following the way things have evolved at this property I'm left wondering why the owners chose Hyatt/Andaz branding & management if they were unwilling or unable to abide by the letter AND the spirit of the HGP program?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by peteropny
Yes, I've been trying to book for August 2015, my private line agent said that the property no longer offers P&C. They can do a DSU with other paid rates though. What's fishy to me is that there are no suites available for points reservations though.
Aren't hotels receiving close to the HDR for reimbursement for points stays if the hotel is mostly occupied? And non for DSU use? Could explain why with lower overall occupancy rates they are trying to scare the most revenue out.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by hilmar
Hi all,

I wasn't aware that a Property, especially one located in the US., can elect not to participate in the C+P offer.

Well, whether we like it or not, the Andaz Maui after offering C+P for the first nine months of this year, is no longer offering it as an option.

With no elite rate offered as of yet for 2015, I only hope at some point in time, they'll reconsider.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.