FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

PapaSmurf Sep 7, 2013 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by hawkswin (Post 21405424)
Last night we had the lights turn on multiple times and the blackout shades lift then drop about 30 minutes later. After waking up the third time at 4am from it, we just left the lights on and struggled back to sleep. Apparently it's a setting that is supposed to wow the guest upon seeing the room the first time the door is opened by turning on lights and then lifting the shade. Why it didn't get properly reset or turned off I'm still trying to figure out and haven't gotten much response on if it'll happen again or not.

Exactly the same thing happened to us on the second night. Three times during the night (roughly every hour) all of the lights in the room turned on while at the same time the shades have opened. Let's just say that it's quite unpleasant to be woken up like that.

FD1971 Sep 8, 2013 3:38 am

Originally Posted by bjs1234 (Post 21404648)
Arrived Friday, beautiful place. Will update with more thoughts later, but I know everyone is wanting to see some pictures so here goes. We are in a partial ocean view king.

http://imgur.com/a/Dyjnz

Thanks for the pictures^

+
nice tiles on the balcony (less dirt in comparison to the often rather cheap finishing on balconies in the US)
beautiful pieces of wood in the bathroon, it also looks like Grohe appliances

-
not really upscale furniture and a rather boring Standard room set up
the pool looks like a 1970īs resort pool that will become crowded fast

First Impression after seeing some pics now is the same as months ago, pretty expensive for nothing really spectacular.

Not that the competition down the road is cheap, but at least the Grand Wailea is Grand in almost everything you can imagine.

FD1971 Sep 8, 2013 3:46 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 21393235)
We use our car daily - we're not hang out at the pool types.

But, $200+ for a week of parking is enough to get me to change hotels.
There must be some parking nearby - hopefully someone can provide an update on their experiences in the weeks to come. I suppose I can take the SUV shuttle to some street parking less than a mile away.

There is free parking at the Wailea Tennis Club, about half a mile away from the Andaz, the last 150 yards are up the hill and it is a pretty steep incline.

You could also park your car at the mall (Shops at Wailea) at the crossroads of Wailea Ike and Wailea Alanui Drive, about 400-500 Yards away.

I do not know, if overnight parking is possible, though.

ma91pmh Sep 8, 2013 6:04 am

Originally Posted by FD1971 (Post 21407276)

First Impression after seeing some pics now is the same as months ago, pretty expensive for nothing really spectacular.

I think you could say that about EVERYTHING in Hawaii :D

JetAway Sep 8, 2013 7:40 am

Looks nice but not particularly exciting.

Ancien Maestro Sep 8, 2013 8:54 am

Originally Posted by rrez (Post 21406062)
Didn't know if that was a welcome gift for all. Diamond amenities usually involve a choice of 3-4 items.

Opening special? And OP received points stay bonus as well.

Or was there a choice between amenity and points bonus.

Originally Posted by FD1971 (Post 21407289)
There is free parking at the Wailea Tennis Club, about half a mile away from the Andaz, the last 150 yards are up the hill and it is a pretty steep incline.

You could also park your car at the mall (Shops at Wailea) at the crossroads of Wailea Ike and Wailea Alanui Drive, about 400-500 Yards away.

I do not know, if overnight parking is possible, though.

Staying at the Andaz, it would be necessary to have overnight parking. Parking in these facilities run a risk of getting ticketed and/or towed. I would suggest transferring to the hotel if parking and rental vehicle costs are the issue. The Andaz is a short walk to the Wailea shops anyway.

bjs1234 Sep 8, 2013 12:26 pm

Some more thoughts:
We checked in Friday and are checking out Monday. We are a couple in our late 20s.

We booked a regular room on Hyatt.com with points (22,000 per night)
We checked in and were upgraded to a partial ocean view
Room itself is very nice with some high end fixtures. The bed is comfortable. Seating area is small for 2 people but the balcony takes care of that. Balcony chairs are oddly shaped and pretty uncomfortable.

Cons:
-We have a connecting room and quite a bit of noise can be heard from next door. There's at least one toddler in the room and we can hear his voice very clearly. Not what you would expect at a $400+ per night hotel. Since we are getting up very early anyways it has not been a huge issue, but noisier neighbors could cause problems for light sleepers.
-Music is playing everywhere on the pool decks - if you want to sit by the pool and hear nothing but the ocean this probably is not the place. It's not a party atmosphere, but it's not super quiet.
-Room doors slam shut - not sure how they missed addressing this as they are noisy.
-Surprising number of kids even though the hotel is relatively empty. There is a pool near the spa which seems like it is adults only.
-in room coffee is Starbucks via (instant) and an espresso in the marketplace is $4.
-Cocktails by the pool run $16 and beers from $7-$8
-Nothing is written down about activities or services. You have to ask someone for details, which is not very good if you are an introvert like myself.
-Service is too friendly. The hotel is fully staffed but it is not full with occupants, so the staff seems bored and wants to have extended conversations with you. It's very tough to come and go anonymously here if that is what you prefer.
-valet parking is the only option and its $30.

Pros:
-Very nice rooms and grounds. Automated shades in the room, USB chargers, etc - this is a fully updated hotel
-Gym is very nice, free, and fully equipped
-Beach is beautiful - Beach chairs and umbrellas are provided. They have a bunch of water sport rentals: outrigger canoe, kayaks, paddle boards etc for rent. Snorkel gear is $10/day. They do complimentary canoe trips 2x a day for an hour which was fun. Saw many turtles and you get a great view if the island.
- managers reception 1 hr prior to sunset. Not sure if they are every night. But last night they had a nice Pimms cup cocktail, red and white wine.
- free non-alcoholic drinks and snacks in the minibar. They did not refill the snacks, so I will have to ask.
-The shower is massive, with a waterfall shower head. The doors on it open see you can see into the room and out the balcony window.

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts, but if there are any questions that I can maybe answer while I'm here let me know.

More thoughts:
Wifi is incredibly slow in my room. Did a quick speedtest on my iPhone - 1 kbps download, 2 kbps upload, 402 ms ping. My AT&T LTE is running at 22 kbps down and 8 kbps up. Others have stated the Wifi is strong and it seems better in the common areas, so my room might just be a dead zone.

musikdude Sep 8, 2013 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by bjs1234 (Post 21409092)
Some more thoughts:
We checked in Friday and are checking out Monday. We are a couple in our late 20s.

We booked a regular room on Hyatt.com with points (22,000 per night)
We checked in and were upgraded to a partial ocean view
Room itself is very nice with some high end fixtures. The bed is comfortable. Seating area is small for 2 people but the balcony takes care of that. Balcony chairs are oddly shaped and pretty uncomfortable.

Cons:
-We have a connecting room and quite a bit of noise can be heard from next door. There's at least one toddler in the room and we can hear his voice very clearly. Not what you would expect at a $400+ per night hotel. Since we are getting up very early anyways it has not been a huge issue, but noisier neighbors could cause problems for light sleepers.
-Music is playing everywhere on the pool decks - if you want to sit by the pool and hear nothing but the ocean this probably is not the place. It's not a party atmosphere, but it's not super quiet.
-Room doors slam shut - not sure how they missed addressing this as they are noisy.
-Surprising number of kids even though the hotel is relatively empty. There is a pool near the spa which seems like it is adults only.
-in room coffee is Starbucks via (instant) and an espresso in the marketplace is $4.
-Cocktails by the pool run $16 and beers from $7-$8
-Nothing is written down about activities or services. You have to ask someone for details, which is not very good if you are an introvert like myself.
-Service is too friendly. The hotel is fully staffed but it is not full with occupants, so the staff seems bored and wants to have extended conversations with you. It's very tough to come and go anonymously here if that is what you prefer.
-valet parking is the only option and its $30.

Pros:
-Very nice rooms and grounds. Automated shades in the room, USB chargers, etc - this is a fully updated hotel
-Gym is very nice, free, and fully equipped
-Beach is beautiful - Beach chairs and umbrellas are provided. They have a bunch of water sport rentals: outrigger canoe, kayaks, paddle boards etc for rent. Snorkel gear is $10/day. They do complimentary canoe trips 2x a day for an hour which was fun. Saw many turtles and you get a great view if the island.
- managers reception 1 hr prior to sunset. Not sure if they are every night. But last night they had a nice Pimms cup cocktail, red and white wine.
- free non-alcoholic drinks and snacks in the minibar. They did not refill the snacks, so I will have to ask.
-The shower is massive, with a waterfall shower head. The doors on it open see you can see into the room and out the balcony window.

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts, but if there are any questions that I can maybe answer while I'm here let me know.

Nice review!

What is the diamond breakfast like? Any chance of getting it via room service for free as well??

bjs1234 Sep 8, 2013 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by musikdude (Post 21409359)
Nice review!

What is the diamond breakfast like? Any chance of getting it via room service for free as well??

I am not Diamond so I do not know.

Breakfast in the restaurant is $45 for the buffet and individual entrees are $20-$25.

salvag Sep 8, 2013 3:53 pm

Nice review!

It's been stated before that it is a breakfast buffet with a value of $50 per person. Highly unlikely they would let you do room service.

bjs1234 Sep 8, 2013 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by salvag (Post 21409854)
It's been stated before that it is a breakfast buffet with a value of $50 per person. Highly unlikely they would let you do room service.

Here is the room service menu (pictures from TV):
http://imgur.com/a/UwLMU

canyonleo Sep 8, 2013 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 21408203)

Staying at the Andaz, it would be necessary to have overnight parking. Parking in these facilities run a risk of getting ticketed and/or towed. I would suggest transferring to the hotel if parking and rental vehicle costs are the issue. The Andaz is a short walk to the Wailea shops anyway.

What about street parking in the adjacent neighborhood, Hale Hookipa and Hale Alii streets?

Ancien Maestro Sep 8, 2013 6:56 pm

Nice review!

+1

As a relatively new Hyatt Diamond member, I noticed the difference between the Hyatt Regency and the Andaz. The Andaz is a smaller property compared to the main Wailea resorts and HR Maui. It will be intimate onsite. It doesn't feel like you're a number at Andaz neither. If you're wanting to fly under the radar, I suggest other resorts. Andaz will provide personalized service and the Staff will definitely get to know you at a more personal level because its a much smaller hotel.

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 21410369)
What about street parking in the adjacent neighborhood, Hale Hookipa and Hale Alii streets?

Not sure.. Literally YMMV as you try to save $ for parking. It means longer walks to the resort and less quality time on vacation. Condos on both sides of the hotel and Kihei is quite a bit of a walk. So if you find free street parking, it will be some distance.

There is no resort fee yet IIRC so look at the valet parking as a resort fee to maximize the time and value.

LIH Prem Sep 9, 2013 2:36 am

Grand Entrance from Valet to the lobby

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-E...0/P1000634.JPG

LIH Prem Sep 9, 2013 2:37 am

Breathtaking view of 4 levels of infinity pools from the lobby

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-a...0/P1000635.JPG