Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Yes. I used that option.
Thanks for the info. Was it up to $45 a person or continental breakfast?
I plan to have a couple of breakfast at the restaurant but with two young children, room service might be the better choice for a couple of mornings.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:21 am

From this thread, it seems like daimonds are getting upgrade to both suites and view rooms. It apepars that more often then not theya re being upgraded to suites during non peak time. hopefully I'll be upgraded to a suite for my trip in early feb, which should be off peak time. Is that who it feel to you guys as well?

Last edited by hqly2001; Dec 30, 2013 at 9:02 pm
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Tried to do bookings for next year, and it looks like it may not be possible before the devaluation hits. GHP tells me that the hotel is completely booked from Dec 26 - Jan 2 (2015) even though Jan 2 started being available to be booked. Yet, a call to the property directly indicated that the period has yet to be loaded in the system.

Did a day to day check for revenue rates, and it stops at dec 20/21 currently. Not going to point fingers, but it's a little fishy since the HR Maui, and other top end properties (e.g. Paris, Maldives) etc already have rates loaded.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Yes. I used that option.
Interesting, where did you find the menu? It wasn't in room...
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:43 pm
K79

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Tried to do bookings for next year, and it looks like it may not be possible before the devaluation hits. GHP tells me that the hotel is completely booked from Dec 26 - Jan 2 (2015) even though Jan 2 started being available to be booked. Yet, a call to the property directly indicated that the period has yet to be loaded in the system.

Did a day to day check for revenue rates, and it stops at dec 20/21 currently. Not going to point fingers, but it's a little fishy since the HR Maui, and other top end properties (e.g. Paris, Maldives) etc already have rates loaded.
Before 1/1/14, GP told me that the property had not yet loaded their inventory for the same dates you mentioned and suggested me to call GP again after 1/1/14. A day or two ago, I called GP and I was told that the property was sold out for those dates.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Room service menus and some other service items are in the TV just off the welcome screen.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
Originally Posted by sam_goh

very fishy- how could it be sold out before the rates are loaded? and then every day is old once the dates past 12/21/14 were loaded= it seems pretty obvious they are not playing fair
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by DragonMartini
Room service menus and some other service items are in the TV just off the welcome screen.
wow, wish I'd have known that. I just assumed they would have been loaded onto the in-room iPad...
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:14 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by hqly2001
Thanks for the info. Was it up to $45 a person or continental breakfast?
I plan to have a couple of breakfast at the restaurant but with two young children, room service might be the better choice for a couple of mornings.
Up to $45 credit for each registered in-room guest. Easily allows a main course (like Hawaiian bento or the Benedict etc) as well as a cappuccino and freshly squeezed juice/smoothie.

Originally Posted by Vuelos
On the telly under services. I even ordered dinner and drinks off it. Take me with you next time hon, and I'll point out all the services you need.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
$749 rate for middle of July base room when I checked a few days ago. AAA rate is lower but didn't check. I wonder if this rate will hold up? I'm considering a switch to July but I won't pay that rate.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
8 day stay

We are getting ready to depart after 8 days on our way back to Chicago (not looking forward to the cold)

The hotel has a great layout and the food was great. As a diamond we were not upgraded( but they were sold out during check in).

The service has not been the high level I expected some of it might be training. When I called prior to our stay I was told we could do room service instead of breakfast but when we checked in they said no. We were told at check in we needed to make breakfast reservations for the week, so we go to our room come up with our times and call back, the lady says that they are not doing reservations for breakfast anymore ( wow things change in an hour). Go down the next morning at 9 am, hostess ask do we have a reservation...umm no... She says it will be 30-40 minute wait. During breakfast we have tried to get some custom drinks made, 2 out of the 6 days the drinks took almost 30 mins to be made, they need a second worker on the bar with a second juicer/ blender. Asked to mail a package one guy said they only mail letters, but I could stop back later and get a box, come back later and the women gives me a box says we can ship that for you. The staff cleaning the room has been very poor, I had to leave a note to get them to sweep the floors, we had a table that had water spilled on it and for 3 days they never dried it up, we were leaving it to see if they would do anything, finally I cleaned it up. So the advice I can provide is ask another person if you don't like the first answer
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:24 am

I just booked 4 nights in March at Andaz Maui using points redemption. I have base "gold" status with Hyatt and transferred the points over using Chase UR points. The problem I have is that Andaz Maui only allows garden view "queen" (which is 2 beds) rooms when points are used to book, but my wife and I would like a king bed. I checked the "honeymoon couple" box when confirming the reservation, but forgot to put in comments, and now I can't modify the reservation. I'd hate to end up in an already-small room with 2 queen beds when we're only going to use 1. Anything I can do about this?

Of note, I signed up for the Diamond Trial for this trip, so hopefully I get upgraded and all this is a moot point.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
Oh yeah forgot one thing, made a spa appointment $270 for a 90 minute massage, the person I got was so awesome I decided to do another one but only if I could get her again, find that she has one spot open last night so I go only to find that I get some one else and that person was not very good at all. Frustrating, if the just told me she wasn't available I would have been fine with not getting any more massages.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I just booked 4 nights in March at Andaz Maui using points redemption. I have base "gold" status with Hyatt and transferred the points over using Chase UR points. The problem I have is that Andaz Maui only allows garden view "queen" (which is 2 beds) rooms when points are used to book, but my wife and I would like a king bed. I checked the "honeymoon couple" box when confirming the reservation, but forgot to put in comments, and now I can't modify the reservation. I'd hate to end up in an already-small room with 2 queen beds when we're only going to use 1. Anything I can do about this?

Of note, I signed up for the Diamond Trial for this trip, so hopefully I get upgraded and all this is a moot point.
Call Gold Passport. They can put the notes in for you.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:13 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I stayed in mid-December in a fifth-floor (lobby level) Andaz suite with great view (I'll look at my folio and come up with the rm number for you jpdx). I have rebooked an Andaz suite for later this month.

I'm not much of a resort person, and admit I wasn't initially taken by this one. It's very stark with nothing distinctively Hawaiian about it. It felt like a soft opening (several quirks), and there are design flaws (you should be under a covering when pulling up to the hotel to protect in event of rain), the lanai furniture is already well discussed as to its basic lack of functionality, none of the closet or bathroom doors in my suite latched, and it's pretty much impossible to sit in the bathtub without draining the water due to the drain placement. But as the nights went on, I came to mostly appreciate the tranquility and the caring management, an attitude that seemed to be filtering well down to the staff.

Breakfast was good. Once finding out I was vegetarian, a chef came out and said he would make me whatever I wanted. I found more than sufficient foods from what were already offered though. The extra $15 for unlimited mimosas was removed from my bill (diamond member). No idea if this will remain, but I would only use it expecting to pay it. The same restaurant also provided some good veg entrees that I was quite satisfied with. I felt they held up to or surpassed what I get at Hailiimaile or Merriman's. (Guests I met who are not vegetarians told me they preferred it to Morimoto's, FWIW.)

I also had the mosquito problem. I found the room too cool and called engineering. It was explained rooms can't be heated and default is 70F. I was told to open the lanai door if I wanted it warmer. I did that and had about 40 mosquitoes within 30 minutes since there were no screens. Thank goodness those mosquitoes move slowly so as to be killed quickly. Since there's no heating I suggested the hotel use a default of 73F, which would save cooling costs and still allow guests to turn down the temp if they find it too warm.

Quick round up of what you should receive since it's a bit scattered in the thread (hope I didn't miss anything):

-- lei (these were more unusual and attractive than I usually receive, with little blue and lavender flowers)
-- Beach bag with sandals
-- Refillable water bottles
-- Mini iPad in room with some menus (spa and restaurant) on it, sound player and general browsing capabilities
-- Chocolate bar as parting gift on check out.
-- Shuttle service in general area

I chose the champagne for the amenity. Retail on the bottle was $80; in restaurant was $155. Nice amenity. Skip the hummus amenity - very small portion with even smaller serving of crackers (about four). I hear the macaroons are a good choice.

Go to the manager's reception. Exceptionally friendly and attentive management team. Worth meeting them and sharing spiked punch. Managers were very approachable and delightful. Can't say enough good about GM and rooms manager.

The beach here is great - best I've seen at a hotel in Maui. The pool/beach staff and the breakfast staff were exceptionally friendly and attentive.

This hotel has great potential, especially if looking to escape the resorts that cater primarily to families. There are just a few quirks, but I loved the tranquility and look forward to returning in a couple of weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.