Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:47 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by nic3456
So after reading several reviews - it sounds like most of the suites are just 2 regular rooms combined with bad views? It appears I would be better suited just reserving a regular room and get a good view? (I'm using points so I could use one of my Chase Hyatt free nights instead of all points.) If I book 2 rooms through my account would everyone in both rooms get free breakfast (if I'm diamond)?
Yes, view can be very miss in the partial ocean suite (depending on the time of year) the VIP Coordinator said their most "premium" standard rooms are those in the "main" building versus the tower... as they have direct ocean views.

This time of year only 1/2 the tower will see the sunset from their lanai.

As for breakfast, remember that it's based on the number of registered guests in the diamond member's room... up to 4 guests.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 1:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by nic3456
So after reading several reviews - it sounds like most of the suites are just 2 regular rooms combined with bad views? It appears I would be better suited just reserving a regular room and get a good view? (I'm using points so I could use one of my Chase Hyatt free nights instead of all points.) If I book 2 rooms through my account would everyone in both rooms get free breakfast (if I'm diamond)?
At this property, they do not do the "junior suite" option where two rooms are combined via connecting doors to form a suite. They are true suite rooms, with much larger square footage and a more unique bathroom setup + bidets. I believe from the outside you can tell also because they have the "basket basinet" things on their lanais.

There are also suites that have excellent views, mostly in the Makkai wing. With regards to the 2 rooms question, officially Hyatt will say no, so it's up to the individual property to grant extra benefits. I can say in our case they did.

Originally Posted by Vuelos
Yes, view can be very miss in the partial ocean suite (depending on the time of year) the VIP Coordinator said their most "premium" standard rooms are those in the "main" building versus the tower... as they have direct ocean views.

This time of year only 1/2 the tower will see the sunset from their lanai.

As for breakfast, remember that it's based on the number of registered guests in the diamond member's room... up to 4 guests.
There are 3 wings. Nema, Akai, and Makkai (can't promise I'm spelling these right).

Makkai is the middle building (premium), odd number rooms face pool and Kaho'Olawe. Odd number rooms are what get the sunset this time of year. Even number rooms face the adult pool and the island of Lanai. On floors 4 and up, these are all all ocean view rooms. Room numbers go up to X40 and X39 which are the corner room/suites that will have 180 degree views. The lower you are to X00, the further you are towards the main complex and will have a partial rather than full ocean view. Floors 4 and up can comfortably see the ocean. Big caveat, there are tiered palm trees that randomly block views and are hard to predict. For example, 631 has a palm tree that blocks some that 731 and 431 would be fine. So big ymmv on this - you cannot always say higher floors are better but generally so. Floor 2 is 3rd tier infinity + bar pool level and lacks privacy since people are looking directly into your rooms. Floor 1 is a little below pool level and has a private pool entrance but no views. This is also where the base points suites are.

Akai and Nema wings are really hit or miss. In both wings, odd numbers are garden views and even numbers are ocean view (I may have this flipped, forgot to take a picture). The garden views are not great. For example, in the Nema wing, floors start at 3. The first room literally has a view of the loading dock + the hallway next to it smelled a little of trash pickup. There are trees planted in the back so you really don't get a view of the mountains/interior of Maui either (think this is to block the view of the parking/valet area). I am not impressed. Here's the kicker, ocean view in the Nema has to be floors 6 + 7 imo. Floors 3 + 4 are blocked by the private residences being built. So be aware if you are upgraded to an ocean view in this wing.

Akai wing is where the free laundry is (even has free soap). Didn't pay much attention to it, but it does have decent views on the ocean side but you'd have to have a higher room number to get a better view of Lanai. No residences to block on lower floors. Garden view here is a little nicer.

Sorry for the long post but hope it helps some fellow FT'ers.

Last edited by sam_goh; Dec 25, 2013 at 1:51 am
Old Dec 25, 2013, 2:19 am
Suspended

I just checked out of a fantastic 4 night stay using points for a suite, and thought I'd add my impressions:

Loved:
  • the suite: we were lucky enough to get room 738, a fantastic suite with great ocean views (though no sunset views). We would have moved in and never left if we could have. Loved almost everything about the room. Also enjoyed having a room facing away the main pools since it seemed to be much quieter.
  • the food: 4 breakfasts & 2 dinners at Kaana kitchen, a lunch at Morimotos, plus 3 late night gelatos from the general store (you have to try the salted caramel) were all outstanding. Highly recommend all of them, and this is now our second favorite Diamond breakfast (after PH Paris). They even have a juice mixologist at breakfast - truly great food and experience.
  • the general vibe/friendliness: staff was very friendly and helpful and the hotel had a very intimate, quiet feeling to it. Also, other than valet parking, no nickel and diming of any kind. Thanks to the post above, found and used the completely free laundry.

Possible areas of improvement:
  • As mentioned by others above, the patio furniture was completely unusable. Not a big deal, but every item needs to be replaced or padded.
  • No screen doors - got a bunch of mosquitoes in the room after leaving our door open a couple of hours. I ended up killing about 50 of them by hand. They should also talk to the HR Maui about this who has developed a whole natural program to deal with mosquitoes (they have geckos to eat them and some special fish that eats the eggs).
  • I wish they'd add some lights on the boardwalk path near the Andaz so you can go on night walks

Definitely a fantastic stay and one of our new favorite Hyatt's we've stayed at. Will definitely be back next year! A nice contrast back to back with the HR Maui and we'll definitely do that again.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 2:21 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by sam_goh
I think this is very helpful! I have read this entire thread and stayed at the property, but still have a very rudimentary understanding of where all the suites are located, which ones are considered partial view vs full view, etc. We were in one of the suites at the end of the Makkai wing (x39/x40), and I would say these are "full view" perhaps from the 4th floor and up (although you can probably see the ocean from the second floor, but with siginifcant obstructions). Are all x39/x40 suites considered "full view"?

Can someone connect room numbers to suite types and maybe come up with a hierarchy of best "partial view" suites and "full view" suites? As well as recommended "best standard rooms" when staying without suite upgrade cert?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by jpdx
I think this is very helpful! I have read this entire thread and stayed at the property, but still have a very rudimentary understanding of where all the suites are located, which ones are considered partial view vs full view, etc. We were in one of the suites at the end of the Makkai wing (x39/x40), and I would say these are "full view" perhaps from the 4th floor and up (although you can probably see the ocean from the second floor, but with siginifcant obstructions). Are all x39/x40 suites considered "full view"?

Can someone connect room numbers to suite types and maybe come up with a hierarchy of best "partial view" suites and "full view" suites? As well as recommended "best standard rooms" when staying without suite upgrade cert?

The picture above from me is from the 3rd floor, an x40 (facing "north"), it is considered partial ocean view suite.

For x40, floors 4+ are considered full ocean view. I *believe* that is consistent for the x39 rooms as well.

If I had to do it again, I'd actually go for a "standard" room with the front on view as there is a guaranteed ocean view and you have more privacy in your room.

My main irk remains the inability to see the ocean from anywhere but your lanai. The "lovely" suite furniture is laid out in such a way as to ensure you either have to reorganize it or stretch your neck. Sometimes it's nice to just relax in the AC and gaze out...

The rooms that face tow
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
There are 3 wings. Nema, Akai, and Makkai (can't promise I'm spelling these right).

Makkai is the middle building (premium), odd number rooms face pool and Kaho'Olawe. Odd number rooms are what get the sunset this time of year. Even number rooms face the adult pool and the island of Lanai. On floors 4 and up, these are all all ocean view rooms. Room numbers go up to X40 and X39 which are the corner room/suites that will have 180 degree views. The lower you are to X00, the further you are towards the main complex and will have a partial rather than full ocean view. Floors 4 and up can comfortably see the ocean. Big caveat, there are tiered palm trees that randomly block views and are hard to predict. For example, 631 has a palm tree that blocks some that 731 and 431 would be fine. So big ymmv on this - you cannot always say higher floors are better but generally so. Floor 2 is 3rd tier infinity + bar pool level and lacks privacy since people are looking directly into your rooms. Floor 1 is a little below pool level and has a private pool entrance but no views. This is also where the base points suites are.

Akai and Nema wings are really hit or miss. In both wings, odd numbers are garden views and even numbers are ocean view (I may have this flipped, forgot to take a picture). The garden views are not great. For example, in the Nema wing, floors start at 3. The first room literally has a view of the loading dock + the hallway next to it smelled a little of trash pickup. There are trees planted in the back so you really don't get a view of the mountains/interior of Maui either (think this is to block the view of the parking/valet area). I am not impressed. Here's the kicker, ocean view in the Nema has to be floors 6 + 7 imo. Floors 3 + 4 are blocked by the private residences being built. So be aware if you are upgraded to an ocean view in this wing.

Akai wing is where the free laundry is (even has free soap). Didn't pay much attention to it, but it does have decent views on the ocean side but you'd have to have a higher room number to get a better view of Lanai. No residences to block on lower floors. Garden view here is a little nicer.

This is great information. I'll add to it my experience:

The north-facing rooms of Mekkai wing is where my partial ocean view suite (431) was really a sewer drain view with walk-out to "private" pool. Even on higher floors (other than the end rooms) the view is very partial ocean, and mostly of West Maui (e.g. the mountainside with the windmills).

The even number rooms in Nema wing are the full ocean view. As noted, lower rooms will have some obstructions. I was in 602, and the view was just amazing - no complaints. I will note that people can view into the rooms as the balcony has no "wall", but line of sight goes two ways and a view of the pools and ocean means those locations have a view of the room. Now, the odd number rooms have no view other than the parking lot, and as noted in this great post above, the lower numbers (e.g. x01, x03, etc.) are adjacent to the loading dock and not only have a horrible view (they should have built a wall there, at least as high as the fifth floor) but will smell of trash.

When I was there in November, I don't think the Akai wing had yet opened (and they weren't yet using the odd number Nema rooms, either).

If one is parking in the Ulua beach access lot, there is a side-way entry directly into the Nema wing on the 3rd floor, so for anyone with a car and not using valet parking the Nema wing is quite convenient.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:24 pm

At this property, they do not do the "junior suite" option where two rooms are combined via connecting doors to form a suite. They are true suite rooms, with much larger square footage and a more unique bathroom setup + bidets. I believe from the outside you can tell also because they have the "basket basinet" things on their lanais.

There are also suites that have excellent views, mostly in the Makkai wing. With regards to the 2 rooms question, officially Hyatt will say no, so it's up to the individual property to grant extra benefits. I can say in our case they did.

Which rooms have the semi private pool that is shared with one or two other rooms nearby? Is it the 2nd flr that opens up to the 3rd level infinity pool? Some were saying that it felt almost as if they got a private pool?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by hqly2001
Which rooms have the semi private pool that is shared with one or two other rooms nearby? Is it the 2nd flr that opens up to the 3rd level infinity pool? Some were saying that it felt almost as if they got a private pool?
I found 431 to be just like what you write... but also the "partial ocean view" is really a view of the sewer drain and the rooftop of other buildings (and not an ocean in sight).
Old Dec 28, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: Miles&More, HHonors, SPG, Hyatt Goldpassport
Will be staying 3 nights in March at the Andaz Wailea and can't wait for my stay!!
Am a GP Member but base tier - have to find out how to ascend to Diamond as fast as possible!!
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: SPG, amex gold/business, Hyatt, sapphire
What is the best way to land an award stay at Andaz Maui since it seems like the award rooms are sold out all the time. I am looking to stay 2/22-26 but the web site shows no availability. I am also considering Hyatt Kaui for the above dates.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Eliu Rosario
What is the best way to land an award stay at Andaz Maui since it seems like the award rooms are sold out all the time. I am looking to stay 2/22-26 but the web site shows no availability. I am also considering Hyatt Kaui for the above dates.
I would also check out HR Maui as part of the mix. The hotel just dropped a category to category 5, so pretty good value points wise. The property is 3 times as large than Andaz room wise, and you'll receive some amenities you won't receive at Andaz.

Andaz is cozy and grounds are not as large in expanse compared to other Wailea properties. I've booked a week at Andaz next year myself, but plan to spend some time off property.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: SPG, amex gold/business, Hyatt, sapphire
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I would also check out HR Maui as part of the mix. The hotel just dropped a category to category 5, so pretty good value points wise. The property is 3 times as large than Andaz room wise, and you'll receive some amenities you won't receive at Andaz.

Andaz is cozy and grounds are not as large in expanse compared to other Wailea properties. I've booked a week at Andaz next year myself, but plan to spend some time off property.
We'll def consider that.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:56 pm

I don't think the HR Maui drops category until Jan 7 (and because if the hyatt devaluation it will Still be 20k vs 22k currently)
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:26 am

With the diamond member breakfast, do you have the option of in room service for breakfast?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:51 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by hqly2001
With the diamond member breakfast, do you have the option of in room service for breakfast?
Yes. I used that option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.