Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Valet parking

Not being accustomed to paid valet parking, a question. Are you expected to tip each time you leave the car? Each time you get the car? If so, how much?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat

When dropping off the car, I don't tip. When picking up the car, I tip $2.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by blackpaper
Same here, but I'll tip $2 to $5+ depending on how quickly they get the car, their attitude/friendliness, and if they go above and beyond the usual service (for example at the St Regis Princeville where they always put chilled water bottles in our car when we'd head out for the day or if they're giving you directions/towels/etc.).
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by blackpaper
I'm a bit of a keener.. I'll do $2 to $3 each time I drop off or pick up the vehicle. $5 if I didn't have any change the last time out.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
As an ex valet driver, we don't expect anything on drop off unless, you pull up in a 200K car, or if you ask to leave it on top.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by funtrainsf
Oh yeah, and I didn't mind the $30 valet since all other hotels seem to charge a resort fee (and Andaz doesn't).
I have no idea how a fee (any fee) is justified just because some other hotel(s) don't charge a different fee. $250/week (with tips) for parking is just crazy, outside of a major city, in my book. One need not agree with my opinion, but justifying a parking fee because other hotels charge a resort fee (or a towel fee, or a cleaning fee, or a chair/cabana fee) makes little sense, IMO.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo
I have no idea how a fee (any fee) is justified just because some other hotel(s) don't charge a different fee. $250/week (with tips) for parking is just crazy, outside of a major city, in my book. One need not agree with my opinion, but justifying a parking fee because other hotels charge a resort fee (or a towel fee, or a cleaning fee, or a chair/cabana fee) makes little sense, IMO.
Then don't valet or stay somewhere else. Good luck finding a hotel that doesn't charge any fees.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
It's not a question of my staying here or not, it's a question of justifying a fee (one not caring about paying a fee) because other hotels are charging an entirely different fee.

I'll just stay at the Andaz and park on the street for free, thank you... or at the Fairmont where there's a ton of street parking... it's not so rare in Wailea, with a little research.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:39 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
As an ex valet driver, we don't expect anything on drop off unless, you pull up in a 200K car, or if you ask to leave it on top.
this is the only opinion that anyone on here should read WRT valet: someone that works in the industry
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:40 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by canyonleo
It's not a question of my staying here or not, it's a question of justifying a fee (one not caring about paying a fee) because other hotels are charging an entirely different fee.

I'll just stay at the Andaz and park on the street for free, thank you... or at the Fairmont where there's a ton of street parking... it's not so rare in Wailea, with a little research.
yup, it's not like they're hurting for land in a downtown metropolis. they just want to pad the pockets. i noticed the street parking at Fairmont when I was there in June but I had booked before the fee took effect so I had self-parking waived.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mrredskin
this is the only opinion that anyone on here should read WRT valet: someone that works in the industry
Why.... I must be a little of the US tipping culture. But we are talking about a hotel who forces you to valet park, makes you pay a substantial amount for the privilege.... and now we are supposed to pay their employees as well for a service most of us could care less about? Why should I care about expectations someone else's employees have? It's not like they are providing a valuable service, far from it I would say.... it's hoping an praying every time they don't damage your car.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:31 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by RTW1
Why should I care about expectations someone else's employees have?
Because, in America, if a person's wage from his or her employer factors in expected tips, the right thing to do is tip if you are satisfied with the service.

You might not get it as a European, but that's how it is here. And, even though customers here hold the power to stiff a worker (and I am sure many unfairly do), American service IMHO tends to be better than I have experienced all over Europe. I attribute this in large part to the fact that workers here have an incentive to work harder to get a better tip.

Regardless, if the hotel were to pay the valet attendants the "proper" wage without need for tip -- which you would seem to advocate -- then guess what, the valet parking fee (or other hotel charges) would be higher to compensate. You would be paying for it either way, so it is not like you are any worse off for tipping. So why would you punish the employee for living in a tipping culture?

I would tip an Andaz valet $2 on pickup if I were there.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

As I said before.... I value the service of a valet to be worth about zero, in fact I would prefer not to be forced to use them. So I'm not in the category "satisfied with the service". I would rather they all quit because they can earn more somewhere else and I can park my own car....

Someone carrying my bags or bringing me my dinner (my choice to use them) and doing a good job might be a bit different.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:07 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by RTW1
As I said before.... I value the service of a valet to be worth about zero, in fact I would prefer not to be forced to use them. So I'm not in the category "satisfied with the service". I would rather they all quit because they can earn more somewhere else and I can park my own car....

Someone carrying my bags or bringing me my dinner (my choice to use them) and doing a good job might be a bit different.
At the Andaz, it is your choice to use them, though you may not like the choices you have. You could (1) not stay at the hotel, (2) stay without a car, or (3) park your car off property. If you want to bring your car, you must valet -- part of the package, and your choice to take the package or not.

Likewise, you can't expect go to a nice restaurant at the Andaz and tell them you'll get your own food from the kitchen to avoid paying the server 15%+. Doesn't matter if you have no need for the waiter, or if you're concerned the waiter might screw up your order or spit in your food.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Originally Posted by nnn
At the Andaz, it is your choice to use them, though you may not like the choices you have. You could (1) not stay at the hotel, (2) stay without a car, or (3) park your car off property. If you want to bring your car, you must valet -- part of the package, and your choice to take the package or not.

Likewise, you can't expect go to a nice restaurant at the Andaz and tell them you'll get your own food from the kitchen to avoid paying the server 15%+. Doesn't matter if you have no need for the waiter, or if you're concerned the waiter might screw up your order or spit in your food.
Well said!

If you don't like their philosophy, don't stay there. I'm not sure why you are ranting about tipping valet drivers. This is pretty standard in A LOT of major hotels, whether it be U.S. or Europe. This is not new.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.