Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
As promised I can offer info on two self-parking options. These options are for overnight parking (even if they work fine during the day) as during the day we just used the Ulua beach access lot when we were in and out of our room. While using that lot is not exactly allowed for "hotel parking" - it's a beach use lot - it worked for us as were going to and from beaches all day, never staying in the room or on-property for more than a couple hours at a time, and whenever we walked from our car to the beach and around the wall to the hotel we looked like beach users (salty, in swim suits, snorkel gear and towels in hand, etc.). I even snorkeled Ulua Point (between Ulua and Mokapu) almost daily - if anyone wants South Maui reef into let me know.

The first overnight option I'll call the "Kaukahi" option. Kaukahi Street runs east-west along the south border of the Fairmont, and has a lot of street parking that allows overnight (and day) parking. Combine this with the great Andaz free SUV shuttle service the hotel offers, and one could park there and use the shuttle service to go back and forth. The walk is more than I'd be willing to do. I never did park here, as we are in and out of our car from our room multiple times a day and often starting at like 6a, and to be honest I just prefer to be on my own and not deal with even the nice and great service of a valet or shuttle staff. But, had the second option not worked so well, I probably would have tried this Kaukahi option.

The second overnight option, which I'll call the "Kihei" option, I don't want to see ruined by posting here for google searches and reposting on TA. But, I'm totally happy to detail in PM, and look forward to seeing discussion of the option here in the thread (as opposed to separte PMs) if done without "letting on the exact details". I'll say that this option worked perfectly for my two week stay (saving about $500 considering it's about $40/night when including tips if one uses the car in+out 3-4 times daily on average). Please PM me for details, and we'll discuss here in the thread.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:27 am

Would love to hear south Maui reef info. Going there next week. Thanks
Old Nov 21, 2013, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by hhhhkk
Would love to hear south Maui reef info. Going there next week. Thanks
Let me ask, what level experience are you? Some locations are not suitable for non-experts, or depend on conditions.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, A3*G, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Lufthansa Frequent Traveller
Originally Posted by booyaa
Did you use a diamond suite upgrade? How did you get a suite other than the Andaz Suite Partial Ocean View?
I called the diamond desk for the suite upgrade. After reading a review from one of the bloggers about a pool side suite, called the hotel directly and requested for the pool suite instead of the Andaz Suite. This was over two months ago right after the hotel opened so things might be a bit different now. Also, the pool suite was going for a lower rate than the Andaz Suite.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo
Let me ask, what level experience are you? Some locations are not suitable for non-experts, or depend on conditions.
I am just beginner. How is the reef at mokapu beach?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by hhhhkk
I am just beginner. How is the reef at mokapu beach?
Shallow with more rock than you can see. Harder than it looks if there is any real wave action. Not bad if it is calm.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:51 pm

Short Review

Just completed a 4 night stay using the Wailea offer, as part of my honeymoon. Used Diamond Cert to Upgrade to Partial Ocean View Suite.

In a nutshell it's been a great experience but the Hotel still has lots of room for improvement.

Good:

- Breakfast at Ka'ana Kitchen was great. Very attentive service and they were happy to fulfill special requests. Lunch at Bumbye Beach Bar was nice as well, go for the Lobster Sandwich or the Poke Bowl.

- Overall the resort didn't feel crowded at all, everybody was very friendly, although some staff tried a little too hard to make conversation.

- Room itself was very nice and modern, except for the awful balcony furniture. Didn't think the couch was that bad, but then again didn't spend a lot of time sitting on it.

Not so good:

- Room wasn't ready until 4:30pm.

- When they say partial ocean view, they mean partial. At best. We were given a Suite on the lowest floor.

It was facing a walkway and had a villa or maintenance building blocking the ocean view. You could only see the ocean if you leaned on the edge of the patio. Also zero privacy as people can see right into the bedroom / living room when walking by. We asked to move to a higher floor and that request was granted. Were given another partial ocean view suite on the 5th floor. Now we were looking mainly at the unfinished villas (i.e. construction site), but the ocean was partly visible from both the bedroom and the living room. However, the room was missing the ipad, and bathrobes and slippers. Everything was promptly provided upon request though.

- Upon check-in we were offered to make an appointment for a complimentary 30 - 45 min photo shoot. The front desk agent made it sound like you also get to take the pictures home free of charge. Sounded too good to be true and it was. Turned out the shoot was indeed complimentary, however after a 30 min sales presentation of the pictures they took, you can only take 1 picture (not just any, but one of their choice facing the resort) free of charge, for every other picture its $49 or you buy a package, $600 and up. Since we had arranged for our own photo shoot a couple days earlier it was a waste of our time, however if we hadn't we might have ended up buying the set.

- Upon check-in, I selected a fruit platter and a bottle of red wine as Diamond Amenity, to be delivered on the same day at 6PM. Never came. Had to inquire the next day, then it was delivered as promised. But with a bottle of white wine instead of red wine. Ah well, drank it anyway.

- Even though the front desk agent acknowledged the fact that is was our honeymoon, the hotel did nothing special. The agent informed us because it was our honeymoon we were upgraded to a partial ocean view suite, but then again I already knew that since I used the Diamond cert to upgrade to that category.

Last edited by scjmc; Nov 21, 2013 at 7:58 pm
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:40 pm

With regard to the "poolside suite" or "partial ocean view suite" - I agree, beware!

I paid using 33k/night for a suite and got a room/view near identical to that photo (except mine was one or two rooms to the left down the hall, towards the elevator - so my view included a sewer).

I asked for a nicer view, and I was given a non-suite room with a killer full ocean view (Hema building/tower). The wife wanted a suite, but the view trumped space.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:44 pm

How bad is the construction that is still going on?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:06 pm

With regard to non-expert level snorkeling:

Look at a map and go north to south, starting at the property.

1. Between Mokapu and Ula beaches is Ulua reef. This is a fantastic option! Mokapu and Ulua beaches are beautiful, they offer easy entry, they are never never super crowded, it's right out your door, and there's equipment rental. This reef almost never has current. If there's strong waves then it's a little tougher, but just focus on the outer reef (where the reef meets sandy bottom) and lap this reef/sand border from Mokapu to Ulua (and swim the return or walk the maybe 30m back on the sand). This site is super commonly used for check out dives, so it's easy. If there's no waves, then explore the shallows. In the shallows I found numerous kinds of ells, octopi, and many turtles. I saw two mantas there my first day in the deeper Ulua side outer reef (so much for thinking it's a reef only for beginners). It's also a somewhat common site for sharks (which is good, don't be afraid).

2. Next reef going south is between Ulua and Wailea, this might be called the Marriott Rocks/Wall. This area is much larger than Ulua, and has some more interesting topography and some maybe better deep sections versus Ulua, but it's can have (slightly) less vis. One day I did a "drift snorkel" (really no current but for fun) starting at Mokapu and ending at Wailea beaches, snorkeling these two sections of reef. In this area I saw much the same life as Ulua, but more turtles and once a spotted eagle ray near the bottom in about 50' depth. Let's call this area "intermediate" only because one can't exit in the middle, it's a longer stretch and the only entries/exits - which are super easy - are at the beaches.

3. The reef between Wailea and Polo. I didn't do this area this trip - Wailea is a more crowded beach and Polo beach access parking isn't my favorite location, and there's so many choices in South Maui. If I had more time and my wife liked snorkeling as much as I do, I would do a drift from Ulua all the way to Polo (walking Wailea beach instead of swimming/drifting it) and walk the great Wailea beach path - which stretches from Andaz south to Polo - home.

4. The area between Polo and White Rocks beaches. This is a killer area! (Killer for it's beauty, reef topography, and recent tiger shark attack). I like to swim it from White Rocks, which looks like a private beach for houses and is accessed by street parking south of Polo. White Rocks never has many people. The reef is like a mini-Makena Landing reef in topography. This area is somewhat more wind-protected than others. I saw a small manta ray here, and of course lots of turtles - but no shark.

5. The reef between White Rocks and Poolenalena (aka Loves, sometimes called Chang's) beaches. Poolenalena has three access lots (northern-most is large, two others are super small, souther-most has showers), and has a nude area northern third separated by some easily skirted rocks from the southern two-thirds. I access this area from White Rocks, but it's not as good IMO as the other side of White Rocks.

6. The area between Poolenalena and a little pocket beach I've always called Chang's (some call P-/Loves Chang's, and the little pocket beach a "secret beach", but I know the super small beach north of Maluka as Secret Beach, so...) is great. I prefer access from Poolenalena south. This area has a turlte cleaning station - so there's lots of turtles and they are super still and tranquil as they want the fish to come and clean them. I also see eels here.

There are many more great sites, such as Red Hill between Black Sand and Little Beaches, Dumps, La Peruse, and of course Makena Landing - but I won't call any of those "beginner" level (although plenty of adventurous beginners have no issue loving some of these sites).
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by salvag
How bad is the construction that is still going on?
As of last week, they separate the construction at the residences from the resort with sort of a camouflage fence. Depending on that floor your room is going to be it might impact your view. There is still construction noise at times as well as workers walking around the resort.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:32 pm
Suspended

With regard to the "poolside suite" or "partial ocean view suite" - I agree, beware!

I paid using 33k/night for a suite and got a room/view near identical to that photo (except mine was one or two rooms to the left down the hall, towards the elevator - so my view included a sewer).

I asked for a nicer view, and I was given a non-suite room with a killer full ocean view (Hema building/tower). The wife wanted a suite, but the view trumped space.
For any you getting a "poolside" or "partial ocean view" suite using diamond suite upgrades or 33k/night points, do you remember what your room showed up as in your original confirmation email or on your web reservation details? Did it say that you'd be in one of the poolside or partial view suites (with a 800 square foot room) or did it just say "Andaz Suite" (with a 850 square foot room)?

I have a reservation for December using 33k/night that says "Andaz Suite" so I just want to set my expectations if they're downgrading some guests to lesser suites than their confirmation says!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:47 pm

Mine (using 33k/night) said Andaz Suite

For yours, you might fear that you'll get a room with IMO no view. So, if it was me knowing what I know, I would call the hotel two days before arriving and talk to a FO manager about the blocking, or be prepared to downgrade to a "regular" room with spectacular full ocean view (if it's available and they'll do that move) and receive a refund of the points difference (33k-22k).
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:50 pm

If you're into health juices and smoothies at breakfast - talk to Joe or Chris at the juicing/blending station - they'll customize anything you want and make some incredible beverages at breakfast. Some of the items I included were kale, flax seed, and açai.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Mine (using 33k/night) said Andaz Suite

For yours, you might fear that you'll get a room with IMO no view. So, if it was me knowing what I know, I would call the hotel two days before arriving and talk to a FO manager about the blocking, or be prepared to downgrade to a "regular" room with spectacular full ocean view (if it's available and they'll do that move) and receive a refund of the points difference (33k-22k).
Wow, thanks for the info; that is disappointing to hear but good advice!

I wonder what happened to their original plan of having:

7 - Three- to Five-bedroom villas
2 - Premiere Suites (1,500 square feet)
33 - Andaz Suites with panoramic ocean views (850 square feet, 1 1/2 bath)
255 - Standard Rooms

Sounds like many of those 33 Andaz Suites have shrunk by 50 square feet and lost their panoramic ocean views; very disappointing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.