Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 16, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by esquesk
I also called into the Diamond line and asked about availability. Nothing meaningful available for any travel dates in 2016 (there was a single night for a couple different months over the summer).

Super frustrating.
Not really. In today's loyalty market, with airlines and/or hotels scamming inventories, I'm surprised anyone would expect to book any kind of award for a high-demand/premium award with only say 90 days advance (that covers all of Sep-Nov) or holidays (Dec).

Further, it's well documented that one needs to book this property like 5-9 months in advance, ignoring the gaming (e.g. minimum night stays).
Old Sep 16, 2016, 4:37 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
If you find availability on a third party site, Hyatt can pull that inventory and offer it to you.

I've had it done when the PH MEL has been sold out but rooms were available on Expedia.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
Hi, could someone PM me the parking info? We're at the HR Maui right now & headed to the Andaz in a couple days. Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo
Not really. In today's loyalty market, with airlines and/or hotels scamming inventories, I'm surprised anyone would expect to book any kind of award for a high-demand/premium award with only say 90 days advance (that covers all of Sep-Nov) or holidays (Dec).

Further, it's well documented that one needs to book this property like 5-9 months in advance, ignoring the gaming (e.g. minimum night stays).
True but i tried all the way through 2017 (as far out as it would let me) and never found availability. I looked for two rooms for 7 nights and could find nothing.

The fact is the Andaz Maui does not want HGP customers to stay there. It's obvious with how they game the points system.

The sad thing is that Hyatt knows we have no where to turn. With SPG swallowed up by Marriott and Hilton a distant third there really is no good alternative for us.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
The sad thing is that Hyatt knows we have no where to turn. With SPG swallowed up by Marriott and Hilton a distant third there really is no good alternative for us.
Totally disagree. There are plenty of nice, alternative hotels and condos on Maui. Actually, the Andaz is one of my personal least-favorite Maui hotels, largely for their "attitude," which you cite.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ZBigFam

The fact is the Andaz Maui does not want HGP customers to stay there. It's obvious with how they game the points system.
They may play games with points availability, but I've always been treated very generously with Andaz Suite upgrades or King Ocean View rooms when paying cash for lower room categories. The breakfast amenity is also generous.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:56 am

Agreed they treat Elites well when we pay their rates. But they do not want to allow us to redeem our points. Actions speak louder than words and the lack of points availability proves it.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 10:58 pm

I see that award inventory has gone from difficult to non-existent. As someone who has stayed 3 times on P+C w/ DSU, it looks like those days are over. Any secret to finding inventory?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Chase Ultimate Rewards
I tried to use points for a room last year and was told there was no availability over 2 months. Now I tried to use a DSU for a stay in April. Nothing. Considered switching dates and nothing in March to early April. It's FRUSTRATING.

I still plan to go to Hawaii in March or April. I'm willing to pay but is a mountain view room worth $484 per night? Seems steep but I don't know how luxurious the hotel is. If the rate is justified, then I'll book it. I'm diamond would get the benefits that go along with that.

I know the question "is it worth it" is subjective. Simply looking for opinions.

ERQ
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
Originally Posted by canyonleo

Was a typo, should have been 2017. But that could have been inferred pretty easily since I did reference the summer (in October).
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by ERQTraveler
I know the question "is it worth it" is subjective. Simply looking for opinions.

ERQ
Check the prices at the Four Seasons nearby. If you have AmEx Platinum their FHR rates are often pretty good.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Going from two to three people in the room raises prices by $50/night?

This is from an already $500+ nightly charge . . .
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by ERQTraveler
I tried to use points for a room last year and was told there was no availability over 2 months. Now I tried to use a DSU for a stay in April. Nothing. Considered switching dates and nothing in March to early April. It's FRUSTRATING.

I still plan to go to Hawaii in March or April. I'm willing to pay but is a mountain view room worth $484 per night? Seems steep but I don't know how luxurious the hotel is. If the rate is justified, then I'll book it. I'm diamond would get the benefits that go along with that.

ERQ
Yes totally worth it for a Diamond. Amazing property.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I'm less sure it's worth it. It's a great property. But, for a Diamond, the sweet spot is -- or was -- C+P + DSU, or at least DSU. Without them, and with the resort fee, you will be paying a lot for a so-so room.

Everyone's tastes vary, I'm just speaking as someone who enjoyed the DSU-type deals a couple to times, but didn't much feel like going back this year at the new price structure.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
But, for a Diamond, the sweet spot is -- or was -- C+P + DSU, or at least DSU. Without them, and with the resort fee, you will be paying a lot for a so-so room.
Personally I can't imagine paying $500 (plus resort fee and parking) for anything other than an ocean front suite in Hawaii when you can get a really nice vacation rental for half that price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.