FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

pickles1107 Feb 6, 2016 5:40 pm

Here now for a quick 3 night stay. We used one of my wife's free credit card nights and two nights cash plus points with DSU. Like the poster above, we were further upgraded to ocean view suite for all three nights. Very appreciated. Breakfast is a good as ever - love the pancakes! Still find it odd that they ask if it is my first time to Maui at check in every time ... "No, this is our third stay at your property".

canyonleo Feb 8, 2016 8:24 am

The pancakes are very good, I wonder what makes them so unique in taste/texture (heavy egg? light egg? water/milk mixture? temp of grill?)?

slippahs Feb 8, 2016 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 26151369)
The pancakes are very good, I wonder what makes them so unique in taste/texture (heavy egg? light egg? water/milk mixture? temp of grill?)?

We suspected that they were mochi pancakes:

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/04/1...ooker-to-make/

canyonleo Feb 8, 2016 5:04 pm

No, while they do make both mochi and regular (at least for waffles), and I love mochi in general (be it in udon, nimono, oden or mochi ice cream, the latter is more an L.A. thing than Japanese I'll guess as I can never find it in Japan other than cheap convenience store stuff) it wasn't mochi pancakes but the regular ones that I liked so much from the Andaz, and I wonder how they make it that I found it so unique tasting.

pickles1107 Feb 9, 2016 9:33 pm

Back from our weekend in Maui. Beyond the suite upgrade that I mentioned previously, a couple of other notes.
We were not charged the resort fee on our P+C nights despite the fee showing on the confirmation. I was surprised by this - maybe the policy is not to charge this on P+C (did not inquire at check out)?
Kihei option worked great as usual.
Bottom Pool temp was much warmer than I remember in Jan '15. Last year I could not spend more than 20 minutes without getting really chilled - not so this year.
Even on a three day trip, we did 3 loads of laundry (2 kids under three!)- a great perk, and free.
Occupancy seemed pretty light - pools were pretty empty and hardly ever saw anyone else in the halls. Never had to wait at breakfast.
This was a great farewell as an outgoing Diamond.

ringingup Feb 10, 2016 12:46 am

Originally Posted by pickles1107 (Post 26160622)
Back from our weekend in Maui. Beyond the suite upgrade that I mentioned previously, a couple of other notes.
We were not charged the resort fee on our P+C nights despite the fee showing on the confirmation. I was surprised by this - maybe the policy is not to charge this on P+C (did not inquire at check out)?
Kihei option worked great as usual.
Bottom Pool temp was much warmer than I remember in Jan '15. Last year I could not spend more than 20 minutes without getting really chilled - not so this year.
Even on a three day trip, we did 3 loads of laundry (2 kids under three!)- a great perk, and free.
Occupancy seemed pretty light - pools were pretty empty and hardly ever saw anyone else in the halls. Never had to wait at breakfast.
This was a great farewell as an outgoing Diamond.

Could anyone PM me instructions on how to use the Kihei option?

How did you get free laundry?

peteropny Feb 10, 2016 7:38 am

Originally Posted by ringingup (Post 26161026)

Free laundry is self service in a laundry room (detergent and fabric softener sheets provided free) on the right of the ground level of the wing far right as you come in the entrance of the hotel (from parking).

ringingup Feb 10, 2016 8:01 am

Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 26162114)
Free laundry is self service in a laundry room (detergent and fabric softener sheets provided free) on the right of the ground level of the wing far right as you come in the entrance of the hotel (from parking).

Oh wow, that's excellent! After so many days travelling around, we'll definitely need that. I was looking into launderettes elsewhere in Maui but it looks like we won't need it!

canyonleo Feb 10, 2016 8:21 am

Originally Posted by ringingup (Post 26161026)
Could anyone PM me instructions on how to use the Kihei option?

ringingup, check PM.

toptravelista Feb 11, 2016 10:22 am

We have an upcoming stay at the Andaz Maui as a Diamond member in early March. We are attending a wedding at the Andaz. I have read several pages of this thread and have a couple of questions I was hoping to get answered.

Can someone PM me details of the Kihei option. I think I know what you are all talking about but just want to confirm.

What amenities are included in the resort fee? I just received a welcome email from concierge and the amenities are different than the ones listed on the Hyatt website. I was wondering if I have to pre-book these as someone mentioned that they were fully booked. Can someone tell me if you have tried the GoPro rental, Stand Up paddle board lessons, Outrigger or Kayak tour. What are the best amenities to include in our stay? Did they charge you for these or were they included in the resort fee?

It sounds like the Diamond breakfast option is the buffet breakfast only and you can't order off the menu. Is this correct?

I have tried to apply the DSU several times to our reservation thru the Gold Passport phone line. Each time was told that it was not possible. So I have emailed the concierge to see if they can help me. Is there another way or person to ask? As it is early March (March 2) I wonder if the new DSU expiration will be an issue.

Cohall Feb 11, 2016 10:35 am

Originally Posted by toptravelista (Post 26168581)

Can someone PM me details of the Kihei option. I think I know what you are all talking about but just want to confirm.

We Valet'd, sorry can't help. Canyon or someone else will PM you I'm sure.

What amenities are included in the resort fee? I just received a welcome email from concierge and the amenities are different than the ones listed on the Hyatt website. I was wondering if I have to pre-book these as someone mentioned that they were fully booked. Can someone tell me if you have tried the GoPro rental, Stand Up paddle board lessons, Outrigger or Kayak tour. What are the best amenities to include in our stay? Did they charge you for these or were they included in the resort fee?

The 'amenities' included were exactly as listed on their webpage. It's a total ripoff, to be honest. SUP paddleboard rental or lessons are not included. The only thing we used was a boogey board rental for an hour one day...which essentially cost me $280 (7 days x $40) plus tax. Here is the webpage http://maui.andaz.hyatt.com/en/hotel...ee-policy.html

It sounds like the Diamond breakfast option is the buffet breakfast only and you can't order off the menu. Is this correct?

Correct, plus coffees etc.

I have tried to apply the DSU several times to our reservation thru the Gold Passport phone line. Each time was told that it was not possible. So I have emailed the concierge to see if they can help me. Is there another way or person to ask? As it is early March (March 2) I wonder if the new DSU expiration will be an issue.

Are you paying cash for the reservation? If yes, then a DSU should be applicable as long as the website is showing Poolside Suite availability for the entirety of your stay. If it's not showing that as available when you search at Hyatt.com, then you will not be able to apply a DSU, no matter who you speak to. Just keep checking back for your dates frequently, especially as it get's closer to the end of Feb.

Goonie Feb 11, 2016 8:31 pm

Kihei is the boat ramp just north of the hotel. Free parking if you're willing to walk. It's about a mile on the beach or a sidewalk.

pickles1107 Feb 11, 2016 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by toptravelista (Post 26168581)

For our last stay, I was checking everyday several times a day in one night increments. Our thrid night opened up about a month out, then 2 weeks out the 2nd night opened, then 1 week out the first night opened (We opted to keep our credit card reward booking the first night and not use the DSU). Recommend applying DSU for Pool Suite to even a subset of your nights as more could open up closer to time. And if not, you may get lucky and the property could offer to keep you in a suite the entire time (even ones not confirmed with DSU).

flymax77 Feb 19, 2016 4:06 pm

HGP diamond status

staying here in march, is there any current diamond status match available?

Or is hyatt credit card spending limit the only current way to get diamond without actually staying in the hotel?

TIA

invalyd Feb 19, 2016 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by rb23lb (Post 26213352)
Or is hyatt credit card spending limit the only current way to get diamond without actually staying in the hotel?

it is not possible to get diamond status with credit card spend alone. the most that will get you is 5 stays after $40k spend. you will still need 20 stays on top of that.

there is a status match offer for SPG plat. see the status match thread for details.