Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by tjbrooks
It appears to me that they're selling/consigning base room inventory to discounters/packagers like getarroom. Then when they aren't sold out, they open up award space/Garden View close-in (~1wk). Pretty smart way to stay within the rules but avoid most awards.
You might be right. I checked their inventory online from April through October for 10-12 different dates and nothing was available. It's not possible they sold all the garden view rooms for 6 months next year. lets wait and watch if anything changes on that.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:57 pm

Decided to book a "last minute" trip to Maui for early December. I usually plan further ahead and ensure I am able to use points for the trip. Andaz looks like a really appealing property but can't find any availability.

Has anyone successfully booked the Regency, and then once availability opened up closer to your dates transferred your reservation to Andaz?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by RedTeam10
Decided to book a "last minute" trip to Maui for early December. I usually plan further ahead and ensure I am able to use points for the trip. Andaz looks like a really appealing property but can't find any availability.

Has anyone successfully booked the Regency, and then once availability opened up closer to your dates transferred your reservation to Andaz?
Both properties have extensive stay lengths required as well as cancel penalties during that time frame.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by RedTeam10

I was told by rep on the phone tat we can do that. I booked in Regency for our trip in April and will be on look out for any opening in Andaz. Rep told me just call them when I see openings and they will switch the reservations. I hope that helps.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: United club, Hyatt Plat...
Anyone ever book last minute? I compared my rate that I booked a month in advance to a rate for the next day after I checked in and it was about $100 cheaper.

If you plan on going offseason, when kids are in school then you can wait until a few days before to book your hotel. They never go full occupancy when school is in session.

When we went a couple weeks ago the hotel was maybe at 25% occupancy, yet when I was booking a month out there were only select rooms available. When I checked for next day availability, all rooms showed up at a cheaper rate.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by anubond005
It's not possible they sold all the garden view rooms for 6 months next year.
Sure it's possible. There are way too many free nights certificates out there.

Although it's more likely this property is just playing its usual games with award inventory.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: AA PL, DL Gold, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Sure it's possible. There are way too many free nights certificates out there.

Although it's more likely this property is just playing its usual games with award inventory.
Agreed. I would definitely keep checking. Only one data point but might be instructive: There was some very recent funny business (to the point that Hyatt GP saw DSU space, called the hotel and hotel retorted no availability). I looked online and saw the applicable suite for sale direct through Hyatt. I tweeted the confusion and within minutes, I was confirmed.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat blah blah
Originally Posted by Goonie
You can valet the first and last night and park for free at the boat launch about a mile away. Very pleasant beach walk.
Is there a purpose to valet-Ing the first and last night? Can you just park at the boat launch entire time?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by dgross
You have posted twice now complaining about the worst experience ever at the Andaz. Care to share the details so we can decide?
Sure. My wife (many years diamond member) and I decided to change our itinerary last minute so we could stay at andaz Maui for a night due to great reviews online. We were in Maui celebrating our 12 year anniversary. The gold passport customer service was very nice and said she noted to andaz about our special occasion. I wasn't expecting anything special but it was not mentioned once during our stay. When we checked in they said they were able to do us big favor by switching us out of the Ada room. I kindly asked if they have any suite upgrade available since it is just one night. They said they do have a suite but they cannot give to us unless we pay for it. Ok. That's fine because policy doesn't require any suite upgrade. We are ok with that. So we decided to just enjoy the short time while we have there. We went down to the beach activities station and tried to sign up for the guided self paddle tour the next morning. They said everything is booked up. But prior to that we called they said no need to book in advance until we arrive. So they told us apparently a large crowd of wedding guests are staying there that weekend. Ok fine. So we decided to rest in the room (425). When we entered the door and floor made a squeaky sound. Then we noticed that the light switches of the bathroom had feces brown stain on it. Gross. We have pics and videos to prove. The bathroom sink leaks water behind after washing. Also sands were still in sink corner. I think that was part of the flaw of the low faucet design. The bathroom floor was filled with black dirt/dust after flipping over the shower towel. The sofa chair and ottoman had brown stains on it. In fact it made us itchy after sitting on it for awhile. Ok again. I can bear that but it's not exactly what I expect from 5 star resort. Tolerable if it is motel. But that wasn't the worst of it. In the middle of the night, my wife was awaken by rowdy crowd laughing talking screaming outside the hallway or pool area. Our room was very close to one of the pools. We found out the pool is open 24 hrs. So she called downstairs and sent security. The noise subsided about half an hour. But that disturbance kept my wife who is sensitive to noise, awoke for hours.

The next morning around 10am more surprises came. We heard pounding loud construction buzz on our ceiling. (Again if you want proof I can send that video over ) this went on forever. I called the service express and at first they deny that is from them. Then she went to check and found out engineering has a construction project going on. About 45 minutes into the pounding from above they sent someone to distribute flyers to the guest to notify about the noise. It was a little too late. Spoke to manager at front desk. They said They could move us to another room but we were already checking out that afternoon. It made no sense to pack and unpack and pack. So they said diamond members already got free breakfast. Nothing else they can do. Didn't even try to offer any compensation. My wife was so upset we just decided to leave. It was not worth it. Leaving was less stressful. So there it goes. Hope that gives some perspectives.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 6:55 pm

Thank you for sharing the details of your stay. I would have asked for them to clean the room or move me to another room. You did complain about the noise by the pool and the hotel responded accordingly. The pool with the hot tub is open 24 hours a day, the others close at 10 pm. I don't know if those issues constitute the worst stay ever, IMO, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

I have also stayed at the Andaz during the construction this September, but we were notified about it when we checked in, was given a letter apologizing for the construction and the construction hours were from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. Certainly, late enough in the morning that most people are up, and out and about.

We had reserved a pool-side suite but we were upgraded to room 540 as the pool-side suites were unavailable due to the construction. The staff was friendly, and I was greeted by name by the valet staff, beach crew, and restaurant staff almost daily. The staff was incredibly friendly and caring. Housekeeping was efficient and organized all the stuff we left laying around the suite.

During our stay on Maui, we spent 4 days at the Fairmont Kea Lani and 4 days at the Andaz. I would never return to the Kea Lani. It was busy, noisy, with a lot of uncaring staff, dirty rooms with a mildew smell, dated decor, and it was almost impossible to find lounge chairs near the pool, etc. However, according to Tripadvisor, people seem to love this hotel, but I guess it is not for us.

While staying at the Kea Lani, we decided there was no need to return to Maui. We live on the east coast and visiting the Caribbean would be less expensive with much shorter flight times.

After 4 days at the Andaz, we can't wait to return to Maui. To us, the Andaz is incredibly beautiful and serene, with ocean views from all the infinity pools, and the staff is great.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by paramenace
Is there a purpose to valet-Ing the first and last night? Can you just park at the boat launch entire time?
Luggage.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by Goonie
Luggage.
One can use the front door and driveway for drop off and pick up, even park for some time (using valet) without valeting the first or last night of one's stay.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Actually, coming from the East Coast and when I arrive to any island besides HNL, it's pretty late in my little brain, I always valet park for the first night.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo
One can use the front door and driveway for drop off and pick up, even park for some time (using valet) without valeting the first or last night of one's stay.
Yeah that would work. The valet guys are nice. I had friends come in twice from other resorts to dinner and hang out at the pool. They valet their cars for free both times during the day.

The only way you get charged is if you overnight the car at the valet.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 9:34 am

Is this hotel still doing the cheap rate offers to get people to come visit it? I missed out on it the last couple of years.. but I'm ready to go next summer! If not this hotel, how about any of the other Hyatt's in Hawaii? I finally hit Diamond, and I want to make the most of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.