FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

ma91pmh Sep 27, 2013 5:28 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 21512990)
During our week there were young couples, older retirees, families with teens, families with newborns and gays. Looked very diverse to us.

sorry this made me LOL and think of this:

Let's eat grandma.
Let's eat, grandma.

Commas save lives. :D

m0hamed Sep 27, 2013 5:32 am

Originally Posted by FD1971 (Post 21513303)
It is very difficult to remember another brand desperately trying to be as hip & cool as Andaz, unfortunately for Hyatt the market was never willing to follow their lead into this Ian Schrager / W / independant design hotel dominated segment.

Other than a few exceptions in Asia, such as the W HKG, Ws are more style than substance and IMO have major issues with providing a decent standard of customer service.

Other than checking out of the Andaz San Diego because of the rooftop noise, and the odd suite layouts at Liverpool Street, we haven't had any major issues at Andaz.

nnn Sep 27, 2013 9:21 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 21502143)
We made comment that there is very little shade, even with the umbrellas. The cabanas are in fact $200 to rent and come with an 'amenity' or 'lunch' depending on who you spoke to. They are going to have work something out because when the hotel is busy, guests will simply not tolerate having empty cabanas when they hotel can't provide any shade by the pools. I know it may be common in the US, but at the W BCN, the cabanas are on a first come, first served basis.

Thanks for the great review, m0hamed. Too bad about the lack of ample shade at the main pool unless you want to pay $200 for a cabana. That alone is a deal-breaker for us. Free cabanas is one of the reasons we consistently stay at FS hotels in Hawaii.

m0hamed Sep 27, 2013 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by nnn (Post 21514438)
Thanks for the great review, m0hamed. Too bad about the lack of ample shade at the main pool unless you want to pay $200 for a cabana. That alone is a deal-breaker for us. Free cabanas is one of the reasons we consistently stay at FS hotels in Hawaii.

DUring our time they remained empty. One of the Recreation Attendants tried his hardest on our final day when we were very sunburnt, and said: "Look, noone uses them, I'll get you one I just need my manager to say yes." He spoke to his manager a short distance from us and he clearly said no.

As a new hotel this is shortsighted. You should give them to people on request, and reconsider it when they are sunburnt when it's 2PM and it's clear that noone is renting them for the day.

ma91pmh Sep 27, 2013 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by nnn (Post 21514438)
Free cabanas is one of the reasons we consistently stay at FS hotels in Hawaii.

I'd say they are price-bundled, not free ;)

eltex Sep 27, 2013 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh (Post 21516493)
I'd say they are price-bundled, not free ;)

Agreed. Of course, I don't think $200 is what they bundle in. Maybe closer to $50-75. For us fair-skinned people with Irish ancestors, more than an hour or two in such bright sunlight will keep us burnt and peeling for the rest of our vacation.

Maybe just swing through costco or bring from home a Noah's Tarp.

http://www.rei.com/product/808940
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...lr8/Kelty1.jpg

Ancien Maestro Sep 27, 2013 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 21516362)
DUring our time they remained empty. One of the Recreation Attendants tried his hardest on our final day when we were very sunburnt, and said: "Look, noone uses them, I'll get you one I just need my manager to say yes." He spoke to his manager a short distance from us and he clearly said no.

As a new hotel this is shortsighted. You should give them to people on request, and reconsider it when they are sunburnt when it's 2PM and it's clear that noone is renting them for the day.

So there are no free umbrellas out by the pool or by the ocean?

m0hamed Sep 27, 2013 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 21517023)
So there are no free umbrellas out by the pool or by the ocean?

There are but by midday each day the wind swept up so much that everyone left. In fact on one day the wind was so bad they closed all the umbrellas by the pools too.

And guests should have a choice to have shade on the beach or by the pools, that's the point. The staff know this is an issue as it has been brought up by many.

Oddly, they had been 'trained' on where the most shade is but by midday the position of the sun hits you directly and gets worse throughout the afternoon as the walls that provide shade are behind you.

m0hamed Sep 27, 2013 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh (Post 21513472)
sorry this made me LOL and think of this:

Let's eat grandma.
Let's eat, grandma.

Commas save lives. :D

I forfeit accurate punctuation when typing on an iPhone.

pinkdog Sep 28, 2013 1:26 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 21502666)
Then go. There's cool activities for families like the Ocean Centre, zip lining, horse riding, yacht cruise on the Kai Kanani which leaves from a nearby resort.

Oh, and the hotel offers morning and twilight 22:30 Outrigger paddle rides for free. The night time one comes with the story of the islands.

Staying at the andaz now. They don't always offer the twilight times. Only when its full moon. The regular times are 7:30 or 10:30

m0hamed Sep 28, 2013 7:30 pm

WAILEA rate code

So my PL agent is saying that under the WAILEA code, it is ineligible for the New Possibilities promotion. I can't see anything in the T/Cs to confirm this, though?

baclubflyer Sep 29, 2013 3:32 am

Has the restaurant Morimoto Maui opened?

RTW1 Sep 29, 2013 5:05 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 21521832)
So my PL agent is saying that under the WAILEA code, it is ineligible for the New Possibilities promotion. I can't see anything in the T/Cs to confirm this, though?

Sounds like BS to me.... normally all of the offer codes are valid for stay credit and therefore for promotions as well. What does sometimes happen is that there is a rate where you get a last night free, and that free night doesn't count as a night for GP.

m0hamed Sep 29, 2013 7:36 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 21523226)
Sounds like BS to me.... normally all of the offer codes are valid for stay credit and therefore for promotions as well. What does sometimes happen is that there is a rate where you get a last night free, and that free night doesn't count as a night for GP.

That's what I thought. Out of 7 nights we got two free, do I expected five to be part of the promo.

Ancien Maestro Sep 29, 2013 10:26 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 21523558)
That's what I thought. Out of 7 nights we got two free, do I expected five to be part of the promo.

This certainly wasn't clear on the offer.

I guess Hyatt is trying to save $$$ on points where they can. If they don't need to offer points for stays, they'll default to not offering such.

During the challenge, I received the 1,000 per night for the first six nights. I found that the extra points were useful to get me going on the program. There is a rhyme and reason why Hyatt does what they do.