Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[NEW YORK] GH NY vs Andaz 5th vs 48 Lex vs Hyatt Union Square

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2013, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond

I'm looking at booking 3 nights with points in early December. Which property do you guys recommend for a vacation trip? We are in our mid 20s looking for nightlife, food, and a little bit of sightseeing & shopping in New York. We do not have any status with Hyatt GP.

Can someone who've stayed at these property recommend one over the other with the consideration of the 22K vs 18K point redemption?

Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
I would go for the Andaz 5th ave if points are not a consideration. Otherwise I would for the Lex 48. All the hotels you mention have a good location and are close or a short subway ride away from the places you need to be.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 2:35 am

+1 for Andaz 5th although in full disclosure have only stayed at GH and Andaz so limited opinion on Lex or Union Square
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by tomcat007
I would go for the Andaz 5th ave if points are not a consideration. Otherwise I would for the Lex 48. All the hotels you mention have a good location and are close or a short subway ride away from the places you need to be.
+1.

If you are a Hyatt Diamond, then I'd definitely book the Andaz b/c of the breakfast benefit. However, w/o status - if you are pressed for points, then go for the 48 Lex.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like the 48 lex would be more worth it for us, since we have no status.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 1:15 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have no status, why limit it to Hyatt properties only?
Old Aug 18, 2013, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
If you have no status, why limit it to Hyatt properties only?
Points redemption
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
If you are in your mid 20s looking for nightlife, great places to eat, I'd take Union Square over Hyatt 48 LEX. Rooms at both hotels are tiny, but 48 lex is a bit out of the way, the area is dead at night. Hyatt Union Square is in the heart of the Village walking distance to the best night life NYC has to office and a ton out outstanding restaurants... The shopping is great as well, you have Bleecker street nearby and SOHO. I'm in NYC monthly my first choice is the Andaz 5th Ave rooms are more spacious but if I had to choose between 48/Lex and Union Sq... Union Square. If you are in your 20s you would love the area.

Originally Posted by SFOvacations
We are in our mid 20s looking for nightlife, food, and a little bit of sightseeing & shopping in New York. We do not have any status with Hyatt GP.

Can someone who've stayed at these property recommend one over the other with the consideration of the 22K vs 18K point redemption?

Thanks!

Last edited by peteropny; Aug 19, 2013 at 11:22 am Reason: Fix quote
Old Sep 9, 2013, 2:49 am

Similar pretty much same question. So many new hyatts opening (hyatt place/union square) in 2013/remodeled recently. No status/SFO-based/mid-20s/fun in NY doing a little of everything.

It looks like its mainly between Hyatt Place Midtown/Andaz Fifth/Union Square. Andaz is the roomiest?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by sprials
Similar pretty much same question. So many new hyatts opening (hyatt place/union square) in 2013/remodeled recently. No status/SFO-based/mid-20s/fun in NY doing a little of everything.

It looks like its mainly between Hyatt Place Midtown/Andaz Fifth/Union Square. Andaz is the roomiest?
Haven't stayed at a Hyatt Place but from what I understand, Andaz is a higher up the luxury ladder.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Trying to decide whether the Andaz is worth 4k/nt > 48Lex (soon to be 5k/nt) for a spec booking in December. Are the standard rooms (or upgrades) that much nicer for Diamonds?

I actually like the 48Lex location - is this the former W hotel? Concerned about the noise levels at Andaz5th and proximity to TS is not a plus. Was never impressed with the Grand Hyatt (wasn't this Trump?)
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Trying to decide whether the Andaz is worth 4k/nt > 48Lex (soon to be 5k/nt) for a spec booking in December. Are the standard rooms (or upgrades) that much nicer for Diamonds?

I actually like the 48Lex location - is this the former W hotel? Concerned about the noise levels at Andaz5th and proximity to TS is not a plus. Was never impressed with the Grand Hyatt (wasn't this Trump?)
Go with the Andaz. In-room design is more modern, luxurious. Breakfast is better and the credit allows for more food. 48 Lex is functional, Andaz is enjoyable.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:37 am

In terms of NY Hyatts, which one offers the best suite size for the Upgrade Certs?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:56 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by JunkDiver
In terms of NY Hyatts, which one offers the best suite size for the Upgrade Certs?
Typically both Andaz properties
Though rumors have it the Wall Street Andaz has downgraded their former generous upgrade to something lesser
My last stay at Andaz 5th Ave was frustrating my Tmobile service was close to inoperable in the room and they decided to clean carpets on every floor
The hallway carpets were smelly and squishy with water
When stepping into my room I almost fell as the floors are wood
I checked out a day earlier than planned.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
My last stay at Andaz 5th Ave was frustrating my Tmobile service was close to inoperable in the room and they decided to clean carpets on every floor.
Same thing happened to me. When I asked to change rooms to one that had better cell phone reception, they weren't able to accommodate me, so they said that they would take off all room phone charges during my stay. That was pretty awesome customer service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.