Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

What is appropriate compensation? Bad service at Park Hyatt Washington.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is appropriate compensation? Bad service at Park Hyatt Washington.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
For what it's worth -- I just completed a stay at this property (Fri-Sun) and arrived in my assigned room to find the air conditioner partially disassembled. Maintenance had apparently started doing something to it, then left the room without completing the work. The room was about 85 degrees by the time I arrived, so it had clearly been offline for a while.

The guest service agent contacted maintenance when I called down; they were apparently aware of the situation and sent someone up promptly to fix it. No alternate room was offered, and it took about an hour for the room to cool back down -- but I had no further issues after that.

In any case, there appears to be a communications issue between maintenance and the front desk at this property. I was a bit taken aback that a property of this caliber would assign someone to a room in that condition -- and was a little surprised that no gesture was made to apologize.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by dtremit
....In any case, there appears to be a communications issue between maintenance and the front desk at this property. I was a bit taken aback that a property of this caliber would assign someone to a room in that condition -- and was a little surprised that no gesture was made to apologize.
When I ordered room service, I was informed the soup of the day was corn soup. When it came to my room, it turned into spinach soup. This communication issue isn't new to me.

There were other bigger issues during my stay, so I let this slide when I talked to management.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:27 pm
K79

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
When I ordered room service, I was informed the soup of the day was corn soup. When it came to my room, it turned into spinach soup. This communication issue isn't new to me.

There were other bigger issues during my stay, so I let this slide when I talked to management.
Did you say something to the server that brought you the soup/meal? I have not been to PH Washington before, but learning about these issues is making me think twice about ever staying there.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by radonc1
I fully agree with the above. I would have been put off as well if I had to tolerate repair people in my room for 3 hours. If they could not have fixed the problem, then move the patron.
However, with that being said, I have stayed at this Hyatt numerous times and I can safely say that if this stay was during the week, then most likely it was sold out (given its location to Capital Hill). So the GM probably did not have any rooms to move the OP to.
He should be compensated generously for forking over a huge amount of money for a room with was not 100% ready and not being able to use it due to workers being in it for an extended time.

I'd get on the horn.
It's summer in DC and early August at that. It's pretty much off-peak at the higher end hotels in the city -- during the week or the weekends.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by K79
Did you say something to the server that brought you the soup/meal? I have not been to PH Washington before, but learning about these issues is making me think twice about ever staying there.
The soup had a lid on it, so it wasn't until after he left that I found out. Because I was very sick that day, just wanted something warm and to sleep it off. On the flip side, bad as things were, there were some real good things about the hotel. Like the generous suite upgrade (1000+ sq ft), and the blue duck was really top notch in my experience. Food wise one of the best Hyatt I've dined at in the US so far. I'd return to the hotel if I visit the DC area without question because of those two aspects.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:04 pm
K79

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
The soup had a lid on it, so it wasn't until after he left that I found out. Because I was very sick that day, just wanted something warm and to sleep it off. On the flip side, bad as things were, there were some real good things about the hotel. Like the generous suite upgrade (1000+ sq ft), and the blue duck was really top notch in my experience. Food wise one of the best Hyatt I've dined at in the US so far. I'd return to the hotel if I visit the DC area without question because of those two aspects.
Got it. I haven't been there yet so I can't say good or bad things about service and experience. I'll keep reading what others say within the next week about their most recent experiences and make a decision about staying there in the near future.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
For what it's worth, my two room service orders were perfect -- the only exception being an extra sticky bun on one. Oh, the humanity.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by K79
I have not been to PH Washington before, but learning about these issues is making me think twice about ever staying there.
In this case, I fear you will not be satisfied with any other Hyatt in the US @:-)

Park Hyatt Washington is as good as it gets in the US, when it comes to Hyatt.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Update: Gold Passport Concierge asked me to contact them, and they gave me 17000 points in addition to the 5000 from the property.

I'm very satisfied by this resolution.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:58 pm
K79

Originally Posted by FD1971
In this case, I fear you will not be satisfied with any other Hyatt in the US @:-)

Park Hyatt Washington is as good as it gets in the US, when it comes to Hyatt.
Fear not. PH Washington is "as good as it gets in the US" so my expectations for them are much higher than a cat 1-5 property. Issues like the ones mentioned, in my opinion, were not handled with a high level of attention to detail and an above standard of service. I have stayed at lower level Hyatts that have handled similar issues to my satisfaction with little to no prompting from me.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by lawyertalk
Update: Gold Passport Concierge asked me to contact them, and they gave me 17000 points in addition to the 5000 from the property.

^ this is the type of compensation that I would be expecting for paying for a suite like that in a hotel like that. Impressed with Hyatt and Gold Passport as usual!

When I had issues in a Park Suite, they confirmed with me mulitple times when I was going to be away, and fixed the issue while I was away.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:27 pm
K79

Originally Posted by SKYEG
^ this is the type of compensation that I would be expecting for paying for a suite like that in a hotel like that. Impressed with Hyatt and Gold Passport as usual!

When I had issues in a Park Suite, they confirmed with me mulitple times when I was going to be away, and fixed the issue while I was away.
^ for GP and Hyatt; not sure about PH Washington.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by dtremit
For what it's worth, my two room service orders were perfect -- the only exception being an extra sticky bun on one. Oh, the humanity.
I miss those dearly!

Had it for breakfast 5 days in a row and loved it each time.

Originally Posted by lawyertalk

Glad to hear GPC did right by you. ^
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:51 pm

My room at the Hyatt Regency in Boston -- a suite -- was not cleaned when I returned to the room at 5:30 pm. We had to wait in the lobby and bar until near 7 pm before we could go back to the room and get ready for the evening. We were compensated 10K points, but I had to email Gold Passport to get it.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by gengar
What hotel GM in his right mind would possibly approve of a maintenance team doing a multi-hour repair in a guest room during a stay? And it's a suite at a Park Hyatt, no less?! Completely boggles the mind. I can't imagine what is going through the heads of the management team there.

Even in the case of an emergency, they should inform the guest and proactively make accommodations - a permanent room change or make an alternative room available during the maintenance time. For a non-emergency situation, it's just inexcusable.
This is my stance on the issue too. Doesn't even matter if it was a paid stay or a complimentary upgrade; to approve this type of maintenance would baffling to me.

I have stayed at PH DC before and it was top notch. The bike valet program is ace and will certainly stay at this hotel again when I return to DC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.