Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

What is appropriate compensation? Bad service at Park Hyatt Washington.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is appropriate compensation? Bad service at Park Hyatt Washington.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
I am not sure whether this necessarily warrants compensation per se (and if yes, a few thousand points seems a little low). Clearly, by performing maintenance in the suite for an extended period of time while it was occupied and without inquiring with the guest first the hotel made a mistake. For service recovery, a bottle of wine and a handwritten note of apology might have been a nice touch.

I am not going to speculate what the OP paid, but regardless he was likely a high value guest and service recovery should have been a bit more proactive. That said, I have an upcoming reservation for quite a bit less than half the published price, so with various corporate plans and such the suite might be a little more affordable perhaps than what others here have stated above.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Somehow points don't necessarily seem like the best compensation in this situation, especially considering the impact in proportion to the revenue, but that is my 2 cents. The hotel themselves may look at it as being a non-issue.

For service recovery of more serious issues (not at Hyatt) I've had:
  • Free upgrade to a suite during my next stay.
  • Comp 1 night free in a regular room with dinner.

This is often entirely up to the discretion of management. Some managers protection the actions of staff more than the protect the well being of their customer, and I don't blame them because many customers make a mountain out of a molehill. However, I've had the pleasure of knowing those who know how to strike a balance approach and create win win situations.

Of course, try Hyatt Guest Relations / Customer Service too.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Aug 11, 2013 at 5:13 pm
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:59 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID RAZR Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-16) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Honestly if you paid over $1000 per night then yes I believe the compensation should be much higher than the original two or three thousand night I suggested.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Maintenance left when OP asked them to leave. He could have asked them to leave 3 hours earlier when he returned to find maintenance in the suite. He chose to let them work and now he's upset?

99.9% of hotel problems are solved on the spot. If this needed solving when OP returned to find maintenance in the room, that's when it should have been solved.

Move on. Forget about it.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by ronbo83
Whenever I have had big issues with a hotel, it has been customary for them to offer the equivalent category of points to apologize. Granted this has only happened to me up to a category 4, but they always offered this range and I always thought it was fair. So a category 1 hotel would offer me 5k points,etc. In your case, I think 22k points is fair and inline with my experiences since it is a category 6 property.

I think there were multiple ways this could have been handled better by the hotel so some form of compensation seems fair to me.
Totally agree with you.
I may add that the OP has the right to the quiet enjoyment and use of the suite he rented during his entire stay. (Whether he paid with points or cash is irrelevant).
If the OP feels, as he does, that his right has been impaired by the presence of the maintenance staff, then he should have been offered the equivalent of one night's points of that hotel's category.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I think qualifying this as a major problem is a bit over the top.... so I don't feel getting a free night in points would be appropriate here.

But I do feel that you should expect a room to be in working order and not requiring maintenance during your stay. If something was planned they should have informed you at check-in and offered another room.

Having people in your room while there is a big nuisance, especially unexpected or uninvited. The room is yours during a stay, not something the hotel can include in some planned maintenance. The best compensation would have been offered on the spot like an alternative room or something as a free dinner, points will hardly compensate after all this time.

But I would expect to see at least 10.000 points offered for a paid suite stay.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:31 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
What hotel GM in his right mind would possibly approve of a maintenance team doing a multi-hour repair in a guest room during a stay? And it's a suite at a Park Hyatt, no less?! Completely boggles the mind. I can't imagine what is going through the heads of the management team there.

Even in the case of an emergency, they should inform the guest and proactively make accommodations - a permanent room change or make an alternative room available during the maintenance time. For a non-emergency situation, it's just inexcusable.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JetAway
If I'm paying for a large suite (as opposed to an upgrade) I believe I have a right to have everything in that suite in working order during the time I am there. This is especially true for a luxury hotel such as the PH. If the hotel knew there was going to be maintenance required in the suite at the time you checked-in, they should have advised you of it and offered an alternative room or suite. If the problem occurred after you had unpacked, the Front Desk should have consulted with you beforehand and offered some sort of compensation (points, drinks, dinner, etc) at that time. Or even moved you to a different room.
Indeed. Even absent an upgrade, having a functioning room and being free of disturbances while in that room is a reasonable expectation -- an expectation that the hotel seems to have failed to deliver. I am curious why the kind of approach mentioned above was not taken by the hotel.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:22 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Interesting range of comments, resolution expectations and point amounts, anywhere from 2k - 22k.

OP - let us know what the property comes back with. Hopefully it will "surprise & delight" you.^
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:58 am

Wow quit picking on the OP!

OP did nothing wrong- if he's anything like I am- he'd wait around thinking hopefully assuming the maintenance crew would be "done any minute" meanwhile blood pressure rising and time running long. I think the OP was actually being polite by waiting. Why should he have to make all these special requests- a person shouldn't HAVE to ask to be moved to another room in the first place.

Number two- strange maintenance crew in room out of the blue? Weird- are you carrying state secrets or some valuable corporate information in a file??? LOL maybe I've watched too many 007 films- but I'm always suspicious when a so called "maintenance" person shows up uninvited (hey, it's happened to someone I know, for the same suspicions I lay out here! the person spied upon was a prosecuter in a case- that's why I brought the whole spy scenario up as it was almost the same situation)

either way, it's VERY poor service- and the manager is not doing his job. The client/guest should never be inopportuned in this way. It's unbelievable! Someone dropped the ball.

I noticed service levels drop in the better hotels and resorts- while the old standby highway sleep inns service is exemplary (La Quinta, Holiday Inn Express, et al) what's going on I wonder.

But YES I would: Number One: contact Park Hyatt Guest Relations Corporate Office, the guest relations manager on site for that particular hotel, and demand either another free night or an upgrade.

The guest should NEVER have been interrupted- I can't believe you are all so blase' about this. He not only was interrupted, but it seemed the hotel didn't alert the guest nor apologize for it! And for 3 entire HOURS! They were IN his room!! Gah! How about I just saunter into YOUR room with some cockamamie excuse to fix a toilet or light bulb or curtains ? which I NEVER fixed after all, disturbing your private space for the span of 3 hours- gosh even a 5 minute request should have been met with an "Excuse me, we'd like to offer you another room.. for your INCONVENIENCE we offer Suite # blah blah, is that alright Mr So and So? No? you don't wish to be moved? All right- which time would be convenient for YOU for us to invade your space and repair the blinds that are broken- or do you MIND? OK we shall leave them as is, as you've stated you aren;t having an issue and don;t wish to be BOTHERED THank YOU"
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
OP here.

As some people have noted, I did not ask to change rooms because I imagined it was going to be a quick fix and because I was already unpacked since it was about 24 hours after check in. And the maintenance workers kept making it seem like it would be quick: "Oh, I just have to get a motor." "Oh, this motor isn't working so I just have to go get one from another suite." Eventually, that adds up into hours. Had I been told that the maintenance would have taken well over three hours (as the three hours were just the period when I was in the room), I would have told them to come back after I checked out.

I (politely) expressed my disappointment about the service to the manager on duty who then apologized and told me to let him know if there was anything he could do to make the rest of my experience enjoyable. He didn't offer any specific compensation (and, frankly, he didn't seem to be too genuine while listening to me as it seemed like he was trying to hold in a smirk the whole time), so I asked if he could provide some points. The next morning, I was told they would be giving me 5000 points. I didn't try to fight them on this, but it did seem a bit low to me since I imagine points are relatively cheap for hotels to give out and three hours on a short two-night stay is a lengthy disturbance.

One more note, while this was a regular Hyatt Daily Rate for the Ambassador Suite, I did not pay the "regular" 2K/night rate because I booked it at a time when hyatt.com was pricing the room out at a much lower rate. Even still, I don't think the rate should affect the basic level of service.

Last edited by lawyertalk; Aug 12, 2013 at 9:03 am
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by fleef
OP did nothing wrong- if he's anything like I am- he'd wait around thinking hopefully assuming the maintenance crew would be "done any minute" ....... it's VERY poor service- and the manager is not doing his job. The client/guest should never be inopportuned in this way. It's unbelievable! Someone dropped the ball.

The guest should NEVER have been interrupted- He not only was interrupted, but it seemed the hotel didn't alert the guest nor apologize for it! And for 3 entire HOURS! They were IN his room!! ......- gosh even a 5 minute request should have been met with an "Excuse me, we'd like to offer you another room..
I fully agree with the above. I would have been put off as well if I had to tolerate repair people in my room for 3 hours. If they could not have fixed the problem, then move the patron.
However, with that being said, I have stayed at this Hyatt numerous times and I can safely say that if this stay was during the week, then most likely it was sold out (given its location to Capital Hill). So the GM probably did not have any rooms to move the OP to.
He should be compensated generously for forking over a huge amount of money for a room with was not 100% ready and not being able to use it due to workers being in it for an extended time.

I'd get on the horn.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
I fully agree with the above. I would have been put off as well if I had to tolerate repair people in my room for 3 hours. If they could not have fixed the problem, then move the patron.
However, with that being said, I have stayed at this Hyatt numerous times and I can safely say that if this stay was during the week, then most likely it was sold out (given its location to Capital Hill). So the GM probably did not have any rooms to move the OP to.
He should be compensated generously for forking over a huge amount of money for a room with was not 100% ready and not being able to use it due to workers being in it for an extended time.

I'd get on the horn.
The Park Hyatt is nowhere near Capitol Hill. It's in the West End, near Georgetown.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:16 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by lawyertalk
Spent a weekend in an Ambassador Suite in the Park Hyatt Washington. On the second day (first full day), I left the room and came back to find maintenance at work fixing one of the motorized shades in the room. Note that I did not at any point ask them to fix the shade. Maintenance was in and out for about three hours (while I was in the room the whole time) before I had to ask them to leave because I had to change and get ready to leave. I came back three hours later to find the original shade still broken and the other two previously working shades in the bedroom now broken and stuck to half open. I had to request maintenance come back to manually put the shades down.

I later found a manager and told him about this poor service experience (as well as the disappointing service on my last stay detailed in the PH Washington master thread) and he apologized but did not offer any specific compensation. I asked for some points and he said he could arrange for that.

What do you think is appropriate compensation for the inconvenience?
Hello,

Can you please PM your reservation details to us? I'll be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

Nick B.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by JetAway
The Park Hyatt is nowhere near Capitol Hill. It's in the West End, near Georgetown.
You are right. I had a lapse of memory. However, I still feel that such an intrusion is inappropriate. Sorry about that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.