Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Diamond Trial and Challenge e-Certs being used after failure to requalify

Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:13 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

One of my friends undertook the Diamond Trial, and failed to requalify. Despite this, he has been able to apply the e-certs for future stays, even though he is only Platinum.

Shouldn't Hyatt GP deny the ability to use a Diamond Upgrade Certificate if one is not, in fact, Diamond? Why doesn't GP expire the upgrades upon landing on a lower level?

Given that one has to call to have the upgrade applied, even if Hyatt's IT system cannot automatically do this, surely agents can deny their application.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:55 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID RAZR Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-16) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

What a friend
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:41 pm

Since they get the suite certs during the trial they can apply them during the trial period to whatever rez they want. The loopholes in the upgrade certs benefit you too since you can use them for next year, even if the certs expire before that use.

Personally, I doubt the effect of either of these is anything more than negligible.

It's not something I'm going to worry about.

-David
Old Aug 5, 2013, 5:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by antonius66
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID RAZR Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-16) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

What a friend
you said it all

wow
Old Aug 5, 2013, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
While you are a Diamond, you can use the suite certs on any future reservation, including those for a period of time when you are no longer a Diamond. However, this will not also impart on you the Diamond benefits for the stay, such as Club Lounge access (unless it is explicitly included as a benefit of the suite).
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
This has been like this for a long time. I've often used suite certs for a future date when I won't be a diamond. Why shouldn't it work that way?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Op almost alludes that the Diamond Suite Upgrades remain in the account when the friend becomes Platinum after a diamond challenge. When Platinum the friend applies the Diamond Suite Upgrades for future reservations by initiating a new reservation when Platinum. This would be something new not mentioned previously.

Op can you clarify whether your friend was able to apply these suite upgrades on new reservation when Platinum? Traditional thought has been that the remaining suite upgrades dissappear when a member loses diamond status.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Op almost alludes that the Diamond Suite Upgrades remain in the account when the friend becomes Platinum after a diamond challenge. When Platinum the friend applies the Diamond Suite Upgrades for future reservations by initiating a new reservation when Platinum. This would be something new not mentioned previously.

Op can you clarify whether your friend was able to apply these suite upgrades on new reservation when Platinum? Traditional thought has been that the remaining suite upgrades dissappear when a member loses diamond status.
No, DSUs stay until their own expiry which is end-Feb of the following year. Can be used/changed/cancelled freely after downgrade of account to Platinum until their expiry.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by stargold
No, DSUs stay until their own expiry which is end-Feb of the following year. Can be used/changed/cancelled freely after downgrade of account to Platinum until their expiry.
On the other hand, the elite status match and the once per lifetime feature gives a bit of dead silence. Hyatt is trying to attract business and is choosing to do so by getting customers to stay at the hotels. IMO, this is better than the loads of free nights given out to cc sign ups.

The Challenge is resulting in my long term business. For those who just touches and taste, they are the ones who are missing out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.