Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

LONG BEACH: Hyatt The Pike or Hyatt Regency?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus

I tried to find some infos but couldn't find many.
Which one is better? Especially for the suite room(Dia Upgrade) and breakfast?
I can't find any pics of suite rooms from HR Long Beach.

Last edited by scienm; Jul 31, 2013 at 1:37 am
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
I stayed at both in May and recommend the Hyatt Long Beach. Used an upgrade certificate and received harborview suite. I had my choice of breakfast in either the lounge or restaurant since I was on AAA rate that included breakfast buffet. I actually ate more in the lounge. Very nice staff. Enjoy your stay.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
If your using a suite, I would say Regency. The Pike is nice, but Regency was just updated. For a regular room I would stay at the Pike.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
Rooms at the Regency have much better views IMO
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Thanks everyone!
I booked Regency with Suite Award. I will update!
Old Jun 7, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Looking for a Xmas stay for family of 4. We are leaning toward The Pike with cheaper parking and diamond breakfast, but the pool seems small on the roof top and no hot tub. I think Long Beach has a nicer pool and RC. RC is a plus but breakfast won't be as fulfilling for the teenager kids. Price is very similar including parking, which property would you stay and why?

thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Pool? In December? Brave souls!

The Hyatt Long Beach is in a pretty great location. The club is nice. The views are better.

I have only paid for parking once at the Hyatt, Street parking is plentiful a few blocks away. But I was traveling solo.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:21 pm

Anyone stayed at both these properties recently? Particularly any insight into which is better as a Diamond member?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 1:32 am

Stayed at the HR LB last year using a DSU. Stayed in room # 1720 which on the door said it was the Marina Suite. The odd shaped bedroom backs up right to one bank of elevators and the noise was super annoying. The best way I could describe it was a low rumble of a motorcycle going by from a distance. The noise slowed during off peak use but still did it occasionally throughout the night which if your a light sleeper is loud enough to wake you up.

Good stay otherwise.

Also FYI if I remember right parking at the Pike is a bit cheaper.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 4:15 am

Programs: AA Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Hyatt Long Beach is more of a convention hotel. Lounge is small but well-served by friendly staff. They will even take special requests for breakfast if you ask politely. I prefer the standard rooms at the far end of the hall to avoid hallway traffic passing my room. Nice views as well. Hyatt Pike has a great made to order breakfast and a boutique vibe. Now that the mall has opened across the street a lot of light is blocked from entering the guest rooms. Also, this property is not as sound proofed from exterior noises as Hyatt LB seems to be. Karen Thomas (Hyatt LB VIP Coordinator) is a fantastic resource for Diamonds! You may choose to reach out to her in advance with any special requests as she has gone the extra mile for me on many occasions.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: Alaska Milage Plan MVP, Hyatt Platinum
This is a bit of an anecdotal data point, as I've only stayed at the Pike and not at the Regency. We really enjoyed it, rooms feel different than a standard hotel, more boutique-like. We were in a King room with a separate sitting area. The TV was on a 180 degree swivel so you could choose to watch from the bed or from the couch. We LOVED the rooftop pool, technically it was supposed to close at 9 or 10pm but quite a few of us were up there much further into the evening and nobody kicked us out. Great view from up there.

We were also swayed to the Pike by the cheaper parking and lower room rate on our dates. Note that the parking is shared with the shopping/restaurant district across the street so on busy days you'll wind through several levels of parking before finding a spot.

This was 3 years ago now, before the change to "centric" branding, not sure how much has changed since then.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I've stayed at both on multiple occasions and the hands down winner is the HR.

The Pike is nicely renovated and lots to do within a short walk, not unlike the HR but more so.

There can be a lot of street noise, though. And if you are unfortunate enough to face the parking structure, which as noted serves the entire area, be prepared for even more noise and honking and car alarms going off.

Also, the HR's staff is far better than the Pike's.

Parking is less expensive at the Pike. When it first opened, it was something like $7 IIRC. Now it's $16/$21 so the Pike's valet parking is less than HR's self-parking.

The other thing that some might prefer, or not, about the Pike it is a boutique hotel, not a convention hotel.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 7:56 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
It has been about 7-8 years since I stayed at both of these properties.
We'll just be staying 1 night after arrival at LAX, don't want to stay at the airport.

From what I gather, breakfast at the HR is mediocre, more a coffee shop style, not a full restaurant with buffet or entrees to order from. At the Centric the restaurant seems open.

any recent stays at these properties to comment on breakfast?

TIA
Old Feb 12, 2023, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala
It has been about 7-8 years since I stayed at both of these properties.
We'll just be staying 1 night after arrival at LAX, don't want to stay at the airport.

From what I gather, breakfast at the HR is mediocre, more a coffee shop style, not a full restaurant with buffet or entrees to order from. At the Centric the restaurant seems open.

any recent stays at these properties to comment on breakfast?

TIA
Just stayed at Hyatt Regency and breakfast is indeed quite poor. It’s similar in quality to a (bad) coffee shop, although they’re quite generous in what they allow you to take. Lattes/espresso drinks are awful - they taste like the ones in club lounges made with powdered milk. Everything comes in those waxed paper boxes with flimsy plastic silverware.

We ended up getting fruit bowls by the 4th morning but even those were a little mushy.

Even though staff and housekeeping are generally pretty good, a solid location, and the suite is massive (although dated), I can’t think of a more “meh” property. If your priority is breakfast stay away or eat at one of the many nearby restaurants.
59Impala likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.