Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

There is no hyatt in New Zealand, right?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum

It seems that there is no nice chain hotel in new zealand. Any recommendation? I know there is some hilton and crown plaza there. But I want to find some luxury hotels like park hyatt or ritzcarlton, or at least intercontinental. thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

There was... And I assume it's still a nice hotel, although nothing really luxurious.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
google will show you that there are indeed nice hotel chains in new zealand. (intercontinental & sofitel for example)
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Daniel on the way
It seems that there is no nice chain hotel in new zealand. Any recommendation? I know there is some hilton and crown plaza there. But I want to find some luxury hotels like park hyatt or ritzcarlton, or at least intercontinental. thanks!
Luxury hotel forum can be of help. Just don't mention intercontinental there as example of luxury...
Old Jul 26, 2013, 5:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
Luxury hotel forum can be of help. Just don't mention intercontinental there as example of luxury...
thanks
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:22 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Hyatt and *wood pulled out years ago. The best choices are the Hilton and the Sofitel (ex Westin).
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
The Langham is probably your best bet. If you look around you'll see Langham is offering top tier Voyager status for free if you are a Visa Infinite card holder. (here's a link
Old Jul 28, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
Chain hotels seem to be pretty limited in NZ, though Club Accor has a pretty big presence. I'm currently 10 days into a 14 day trip, and so far have only found Hilton and IHG (ignoring Accor since it's harder to accrue points).

Otherwise:

1) Hilton Auckland - pretty basic, upgrade as a gold to a harbor room - breakfast was kind of meh.

2) Holiday Inn Rotorua - hotel was horrible, but expected for a HI. On the plus side, managed to stack 5 promotions, so for ~$90 a night we scored 12,000 points - not too shabby.

3) Intercontinental Wellington - really disappointed here. The wife is an Ambassador and that was barely recognized. Ignored our attempts at a better upgrade, and parking is $35 NZ a night.

4) Hilton Queenstown - awesome. Queenstown is amazingly beautiful, and we were upgraded to a relaxation room: bathtub/shower + fireplace + outdoor hottub + lakeside view. Definitely the best of the lot!

We ended up passing through Christchurch & Dunedin - neither of which seemed to have any good options. NZ is pretty limited in general - good luck!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by wanderlustre
Chain hotels seem to be pretty limited in NZ, though Club Accor has a pretty big presence. I'm currently 10 days into a 14 day trip, and so far have only found Hilton and IHG (ignoring Accor since it's harder to accrue points).

Otherwise:

1) Hilton Auckland - pretty basic, upgrade as a gold to a harbor room - breakfast was kind of meh.

2) Holiday Inn Rotorua - hotel was horrible, but expected for a HI. On the plus side, managed to stack 5 promotions, so for ~$90 a night we scored 12,000 points - not too shabby.

3) Intercontinental Wellington - really disappointed here. The wife is an Ambassador and that was barely recognized. Ignored our attempts at a better upgrade, and parking is $35 NZ a night.

4) Hilton Queenstown - awesome. Queenstown is amazingly beautiful, and we were upgraded to a relaxation room: bathtub/shower + fireplace + outdoor hottub + lakeside view. Definitely the best of the lot!

We ended up passing through Christchurch & Dunedin - neither of which seemed to have any good options. NZ is pretty limited in general - good luck!
Thanks for hotel info, we are going to be in NZ for 5 nights.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wanderlustre

Otherwise:

That is very nice. Queenstown is one of my favorite places. How about Crown plaza queenstown?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
The Accor Pullman hotel was the Hyatt Auckland up until 3 years ago.
The Langham hotel is a nice choice but beware the buffet breakfast atmosphere is akin to a very busy cafeteria! Go for room service if you can. They do have a free shuttle bus which takes you to the CBD or it's a downhill walk about 20 -30 mins.
The Hilton's location is fantastic especially when its sunny and warm and there are no cruise ships which may block your view(depending which side your room is on) as its built on a pier on the harbour.

The Debrett hotel however is my favourite. It's boutique upmarket and superb service. Its in the high St area of Auckland which is a 5 min walk from the CBD. www.hoteldebrett.com/. I stay here since the Hyatt pulled out. It only has 25 rooms.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
To answer OP: we stayed in the Hyatt Auckland in 2006, very unimpressive as you'll see if you dig up the old master thread. However it was a steal at 5000 points per award night. This property rebranded a couple of years ago and is no longer a Hyatt - so no reason to stay there.

If I am back in AKL I would probably choose the Hilton - nice downtown location, good views, convenient to restaurants, ferries, etc.

If you are visiting Queenstown there is also a good Crowne Plaza property there.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 8:44 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
To answer OP: we stayed in the Hyatt Auckland in 2006, very unimpressive as you'll see if you dig up the old master thread. However it was a steal at 5000 points per award night. This property rebranded a couple of years ago and is no longer a Hyatt - so no reason to stay there.

If I am back in AKL I would probably choose the Hilton - nice downtown location, good views, convenient to restaurants, ferries, etc.

If you are visiting Queenstown there is also a good Crowne Plaza property there.
The rooms in the apartment wing were nice!

Otherwise we prefer B&Bs in NZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.