Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Tipping at Hyatt Hotels or elsewhere

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping at Hyatt Hotels or elsewhere

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Hi All,

It's been some time since I reviewed my tipping habits and found through this new Travel and Leisure article
that I am a tad under what I should be tipping when on the road staying in a hotel
The two categories I apparently have been way under are housekeeping where I left 3 dollars a day or 5 a day in a suite and valet parking where I also typically give 3 dollars.
I was actually over in the bellman tipping
I'd certainly like to hear from our community the overall consensus on tipping when it is appropriate and customary to do so
Thanks in advance for your input
Cheers 777

http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/hotel-...223121700.html

• Bellman: $1 to $2 per bag.
• Concierge: $10 to $20 for performing a special service, such as scoring tickets to a sold-out event or wrangling lost luggage from your airline.
• Doorman: $2 for hailing a cab in rush hour or in the rain; $1 for each bag.
Housekeeping: $5 to $10 per day. Leave it at the front desk if you want it divided equally among all your housekeepers.
• Room Service: A service charge is almost always included in the bill. To personally thank your server, 5 percent will suffice.
• Valet: $5 when your car is delivered.

Note:
Gratuities are often lower or not expected outside North America. Follow local tipping customs when traveling overseas.
1st I'm not going to set my tipping (or not tipping habits) by some Yahoo article.. thats a fact

2nd, As stated elsewhere.. Valet $3 tops and if I have to wait, $2.. I only use valet when its Valet only.. Self Serve every other time. They already are dinging me for the valet charge.. the tipping annoys the heck out of me

3rd.. I seldom tip my housekeepers.. the only time is when I'm with my kids and they make a mess above and beyond what I think is standard call of duty for the room.. On a bad day, they might get a $10 spot.. other wise, they don't get anything.. isn't housekeeping in my rate.. they get more than $2.13 per hour.. no need to tip them.. if I don't get the service I want, I call down to complain.

4th.. room service, its already built in the price, I know it before I even order so they get a big line through that additional tip line which I think is just preposterous and begging for money

5th.. doorman.. nothing unless he gets me a cab in a hard to find one zone.. for those cabs lined up right outside the door, no reason to tip him, not like I should have to pay him to whistle once

Bellman, $1 per bag but I might use a bellman, once every 3 years.. The one that annoys the heck out of me, is when they force you to use the bellman.. you check in they give the bellman the tag with your room number, I just make sure I'm not in the room.. I could of and wanted to do do that myself thank you.. another money making scam

One not mentioned, is the free elite check in benefit, if you choose the food/beverage amenity.. its supposed to be free.. again.. just drop it off.. leave it outside the door..

I get sick and tired at all the hands out every time you do something.. price it like the airlines then.. $50 for the room and charge us for every little service..

Originally Posted by austin_modern
oh lord... the great tipping debate... again. (or as I look at it, "how to save a dollar off the back of a service industry worker making 2 bucks an hour.")

To put some real content here: http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm#foot1

Make sure you read the rates for states you are interested in along with qualifications for a tipped employee.
cool link.. never seen that before

Originally Posted by bzbdewd
Don't forget the club/lounge staff - though since we are in a Hyatt thread I've noticed that there often isn't a tip container out and it is almost all do it yourself (get drinks, clear your table etc). At many of the Hiltons we stay at the lounge staff do much of that for you - and that merits a tip. Just being in the room while I do everything for myself really doesn't require tipping in my book.
I always tip housekeeping - a minimum of $3 but sometimes more if I didn't straighten up the room first (coffee cups, newspapers and such all over) or if the hotel is fairly empty when I figure a little bit more $ might help. Most of our stays are fairly long - usually a minimum of a week but often 3-4 weeks or more. Tipping the valet $5 seems a bit steep to me - usually we do $2-3. Bellman $5 (we always have just 2 bags). Doorman $1-2.
again, unless I'm getting something WAY above and beyond.. they don't get anything.. I guess I should add, if my kids made a mess I'd probably leave a tip too although I'd clean up what I could on my own first; that doesn't happen so much now that they are older

these people get paid enough IMHO, they get paid what the market will spend
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: 2.4mm++ AA Plat, Hlt Diam, Hyt Globaist, Mrrt Gold, Gold Pts, MilesForDreams.com, etc.. etal..
Originally Posted by sensei
...I don't mind the monetary aspect of this as much as the hassle that is associated with tipping all the time.....
Agreed, it makes we want to tip someone so I don't have to tip everyone
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Milesbuilder
Agreed, it makes we want to tip someone so I don't have to tip everyone
Cruises are good for that, one big tip at the end
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold, Delta Silver, Hyatt Diamond
I just know that if leaving five bucks a day to someone who works far harder than I do, doing work I do not want to do, will make their life any better I will happily do it.

That and the fact that they have unsupervised access to my toothbrush and a toilet.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I usually tip housekeeping $3 for a regular room and $5-10 if I get a really huge suite (somewhere over 900 square feet). $10 is only if it something like the presidential suite, and I am certain they need to clean a large area of it. I don't tip everyday because I do not need housekeeping everyday when I travel by myself. I don't need new sheets or towels everyday so the DND sign goes up in my room for multi-day stays.

The only time where I would not tip housekeeping is for a one night stay where I am in the room for only 3-5 hours and do not use the bed. I will take a shower and use the restroom, but it is apparent that the bed is untouched and does not need any work.

Valets usually get $2 from me. I am not handing out $5 for them to drop off my car every time. I have never had a valet drop my car off in less than 3 minutes even when I call ahead by at least 20-30 minutes. If they were faster, I would give a bigger tip. I don't valet park unless it is the only option.

Most Marriott and Hyatt properties already charge at least 20 % for room service. Most Hyatts have an additional delivery fee (most Marriott hotels usually have only the 20 % service charge). The tip is built into the service charge, so I see no need to give an additional tip unless the service is exceptionally good or fast, which is not going to be every time I order.

I have not used a bellman in a long time, but I would tip $1-2/bag. I don't use a concierge for special requests, and I seldom use a doorman to get a cab (probably only once or twice in all the time that I've traveled).
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
^^^

Originally Posted by VA1379
I usually tip housekeeping $3 for a regular room and $5-10 if I get a really huge suite (somewhere over 900 square feet). $10 is only if it something like the presidential suite, and I am certain they need to clean a large area of it. I don't tip everyday because I do not need housekeeping everyday when I travel by myself. I don't need new sheets or towels everyday so the DND sign goes up in my room for multi-day stays.

The only time where I would not tip housekeeping is for a one night stay where I am in the room for only 3-5 hours and do not use the bed. I will take a shower and use the restroom, but it is apparent that the bed is untouched and does not need any work.

Valets usually get $2 from me. I am not handing out $5 for them to drop off my car every time. I have never had a valet drop my car off in less than 3 minutes even when I call ahead by at least 20-30 minutes. If they were faster, I would give a bigger tip. I don't valet park unless it is the only option.

Most Marriott and Hyatt properties already charge at least 20 % for room service. Most Hyatts have an additional delivery fee (most Marriott hotels usually have only the 20 % service charge). The tip is built into the service charge, so I see no need to give an additional tip unless the service is exceptionally good or fast, which is not going to be every time I order.

I have not used a bellman in a long time, but I would tip $1-2/bag. I don't use a concierge for special requests, and I seldom use a doorman to get a cab (probably only once or twice in all the time that I've traveled).
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:27 am

Do you guys tip housekeeping if you are doing a mattress run and not staying at the property?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: 2.4mm++ AA Plat, Hlt Diam, Hyt Globaist, Mrrt Gold, Gold Pts, MilesForDreams.com, etc.. etal..
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Do you guys tip housekeeping if you are doing a mattress run and not staying at the property?
No and I don't tip if it is a one night stay and I basically just sleep and shower.

I am a pretty neat guest when traveling by myself so much so they may want to tip me for the help I give them.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:51 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
No but then I don't mess up the bed either, so they don't have to do anything in the room basically (that's the tip).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.