Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Tipping at Hyatt Hotels or elsewhere

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping at Hyatt Hotels or elsewhere

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
oh lord... the great tipping debate... again. (or as I look at it, "how to save a dollar off the back of a service industry worker making 2 bucks an hour.")

To put some real content here: http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm#foot1

Make sure you read the rates for states you are interested in along with qualifications for a tipped employee.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by gengar
$5-$10 for housekeeping? Yikes.

I tip $5 daily only if I'm in a suite. And I've had housekeepers thank me for that tip on many occasions (just this past weekend, a housekeeper cleaning the room next to my suite stopped me when I was re-entering my room to personally thank me.) $5-10 seems pretty high especially for just a normal room.

Sure - but be aware that the minimum wage tip credit only applies when the tips received are at least equal to the credit. No tipped worker is actually allowed to have total income less than minimum wage, minimum wage tip credit or not.

The more compelling argument is that, in some cultures, service people such as waiters are compensated less on their base wage because customers are expected to subsidize the managers/owners' payment to those waiters via tipping (regardless of whether any individual happens to agree with the cultural phenomena).
That's not true in U.S. where I worked. I worked years as a bellman and bartender, and on a slow night/shift if my tips were near $0 I didn't get any "draw" or compensation above my (then) $2.12/hour plus what little tips I earned that day. Of course, a huge Saturday night at a bar or the house turning over for a bellman can more than compensate
Old Jul 12, 2013, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canyonleo
Why tipping is so important in the U.S.:
...I don't know what minimum wage is currently ($7/hour?) but the minimum wage for tip jobs is much lower ($3/hour?). Thus, for some jobs (bellman, bartender, waitress, etc.) we should view tipping (10-15%? $1-5/bag or checkin) as mandatory. I follow this logic, tipping a minimum of 10% even when service sucks, and about 18% normally)....
That varies from state to state; in California, no reduction in the minimum wage level is allowed for anyone, whether or not they are tipped.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
: FYI: These tipping rules are the norm from Miami to San Francisco not just Manhattan. Not tipping housekeeping...

Originally Posted by RichardInSF

I rarely, if ever, tip housekeeping

Too many of the ridiculously generous tipping "rules" seem to be set by Manhattan residents, who are untypical of the rest of the nation -- these folks are currently claiming that taxi drivers should be tipped 30%.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 3:35 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by canyonleo
That's not true in U.S. where I worked. I worked years as a bellman and bartender, and on a slow night/shift if my tips were near $0 I didn't get any "draw" or compensation above my (then) $2.12/hour plus what little tips I earned that day. Of course, a huge Saturday night at a bar or the house turning over for a bellman can more than compensate
I believe under the FLSA that the calculation period for tip credit is the pay period or monthly, whichever is shorter. Obviously it doesn't apply to any given day or any given hour.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Don't forget the club/lounge staff - though since we are in a Hyatt thread I've noticed that there often isn't a tip container out and it is almost all do it yourself (get drinks, clear your table etc). At many of the Hiltons we stay at the lounge staff do much of that for you - and that merits a tip. Just being in the room while I do everything for myself really doesn't require tipping in my book.
I always tip housekeeping - a minimum of $3 but sometimes more if I didn't straighten up the room first (coffee cups, newspapers and such all over) or if the hotel is fairly empty when I figure a little bit more $ might help. Most of our stays are fairly long - usually a minimum of a week but often 3-4 weeks or more. Tipping the valet $5 seems a bit steep to me - usually we do $2-3. Bellman $5 (we always have just 2 bags). Doorman $1-2.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Are we becoming the employers of service personnel at hotels and resorts now?
Am I understanding correctly that we should be involved with what employees are paid and what the minimum wages are in each state?
If the amount of gratuities were so bad, less service personnel would take these jobs and employers would have to pay more.
In my opinion charges for service should be part of the bill and nothing more should be expected.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: 2.4mm++ AA Plat, Hlt Diam, Hyt Globaist, Mrrt Gold, Gold Pts, MilesForDreams.com, etc.. etal..
Glad to see this, after traveling most of June, I was wondering as well.

Here is my take;

• Bellman: If it is just me, I carry my own bags but if family, a minimum of $5 and up to $10 if we have a cooler and a bunch of shopping bags. I will tip when bags are dropped in room OR when they are loaded in car. I will not tip when they pick up bags from room but I will tip the guy who unloads the car $5. I prefer to make my daughters carry as to make the younger generation work so they don't become too spoiled by status stays.
• Concierge: Never use so I never thought much about this. I'm a boring date.
• Doorman: Seldom relevant for me but seems about right - $2 for hailing a cab in rush hour or in the rain; $1 for each bag.
• Housekeeping: If it is just me, I am not that messy or demanding so probably $1 to $2 a day but if the entire clan is with me in a multi room suite a min of $5 a day. We tip at end of stay. If you had to clean up after my girls you would never question tipping housekeepers ever again.
• Room Service: I am too cheap to order room service and I like the exercise of walking to someplace to overpay for food.
• Pool: Depending on amount of use, I will drop $5 to $10 on my way out at end of stay as I seldom have cash on me when going to the beach or pool.
• Valet: I do $2 to $5 for valet but now I am leaning towards one tip at end of stay. I get tired of trying to mess with my wallet every time I need to go somewhere. Many times my car is already up front and I get my keys from the desk so I don’t know who brought it up.
• Club: I never gave this much thought until a few years ago. Now I put $10 to $30 on my check out (if permitted by hotel) or drop by and cash tip at end of stay. I have found Hyatt staff is much more interactive and friendly than Hilton and seldom if ever tip at Hilton or when staff is not interactive.

For what it is worth, I have found that dropping big tips at end of stay seems to be much more appreciated than a few bucks here and there (assuming tip share).

I love showing appreciation for folks who go above and beyond but as I carry so little cash and usually in a hurry I hate the guilt of not being an ATM to every person who looks at me (guilt can be a powerful tip generator).

On the other hand, nobody tips me and as a self-employed person there are years I make less than a dishwasher.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:42 am

Is anyone realizing how ridiculous Tipping has become in the US:
Bellman, Concierge, Doorman, Housekeeping, Room Service, Pool, Valet and now Club.

Let me tell you what I have been told about the Club. They are paid the same pay scale as front desk agents. Should we now tip front desk as well...?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
I only tip the valet because 1. He takes the car and parks it and brings it back. 2. It's like paying for parking. Other than that I only pay for service over and beyond.

I do not tip just so that the industries can get away with cheap labor and make more profits. Minimum wage should be enforced everywhere.

This obsession of tipping by Americans is getting obnoxious. And the horror, they are spreading it to other countries.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by duniawala
I only tip the valet because 1. He takes the car and parks it and brings it back. 2. It's like paying for parking. Other than that I only pay for service over and beyond.

I do not tip just so that the industries can get away with cheap labor and make more profits. Minimum wage should be enforced everywhere.

This obsession of tipping by Americans is getting obnoxious. And the horror, they are spreading it to other countries.
+1
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I stay in hotels primarily in Asia. Most have a service charge added to the bill for service, so no need for any additional tips, unless special services provided.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:17 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Please do not bicker about appropriateness if tipping - this subject becomes contentious. Feel free to report what you tip though.

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt

PS. I usually tip housekeeping $2 a day in regular rooms - more in suites or if the room is particularly messy. Valet usually $2 each time the car is brought up. Bellman $1-2 per bag but rarely used. Doorman perhaps $2 for hailing a cab in rush hour / rain or help in loading the car with the bags.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The list seems to have forgotten the valets, as opposed to valet parking people. For dry cleaning delivery or shoe shine (assuming it isn't charged with a service fee), I tip at leat dollar to the delivery person, more in a particularly upscale property or if prompt/off-hours shoe shine or last minute pressing was provided.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
I would generally agree, except:

- Car valet: $3 (valet parking incurs a substantial daily charge and $3 as a thank you for doing their job and spending a few minutes on retrieving my car seems adequate)

- Housekeeping: Rarely at all. A clean room is what one pays for via the room rate. If there is something done out of the ordinary, it might warrant an occasional tip. While being a maid might not be a glamorous job they are compensated at least at minimum wage and not tipped employees like a bartender etc.

I would agree that staying in a US hotel can be somewhat uncomfortable as everyone but the front desk staff appear to expect a tip for doing their regular job. I don't mind the monetary aspect of this as much as the hassle that is associated with tipping all the time. Stays in Europe and Asia in comparison are much more relaxing as one gets the service one is paying for. I cringe every time I see someone asking how much to tip housekeeping in Asia or Europe. At best, the maids think "oh dear, another American"... at worst it is an insult.

Originally Posted by todorovic
Here is my take:

• Bellman: $1 to $2 per bag - sounds about right.
• Concierge: $10 to $20 for performing a special service, such as scoring tickets to a sold-out event or wrangling lost luggage from your airline - sounds about right.
• Doorman: $2 for hailing a cab in rush hour or in the rain; $1 for each bag - this is OK if it requires actually stepping into the rain or hailing the cab in the street; however, if all it takes is to raise a hand/blow a whistle to get a cab parked a few feet away then I typically don't tip.
• Housekeeping: $5 to $10 per day. Leave it at the front desk if you want it divided equally among all your housekeepers - this is too much IMO, especially during longer stays.
• Room Service: A service charge is almost always included in the bill. To personally thank your server, 5 percent will suffice - agreed.
• Valet: $5 when your car is delivered - depending on the level of effort it takes to get the car (how far it's parked, weather conditions, rush hour service, etc) and the speed of service (relative to the required effort) my range is anywhere from $0 (very slow service) to $10.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.