Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Long Island/East End (Review)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold

I have searched and couldn't find any reviews for this hotel.

It looks new. Anyone stayed here recently?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:07 pm

I've stayed there in past DEC. it's right next to the Long Island aquarium. Being that I stayed in DEC there really wasn't much going. It's right next to a marina that has kayak and boat rental. Seems like it would be great during the summer months. If you've stayed at any hyatt place before then you know what to expect. That's not a bad thing, just know that they'll be no surprises as far as type of room and amenities that come with a hyatt place.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:26 pm
K79

Originally Posted by FredEX17
I've stayed there in past DEC. it's right next to the Long Island aquarium. Being that I stayed in DEC there really wasn't much going. It's right next to a marina that has kayak and boat rental. Seems like it would be great during the summer months. If you've stayed at any hyatt place before then you know what to expect. That's not a bad thing, just know that they'll be no surprises as far as type of room and amenities that come with a hyatt place.
Very true about expectations. I stayed in this property a couple of times, but never during the summer. The breakfast, service and ambience is like any other Hyatt Place. I know they rack the price during the summer. In my opinion, I wouldn't pay per night more than $130 after taxes.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by K79
Very true about expectations. I stayed in this property a couple of times, but never during the summer. The breakfast, service and ambience is like any other Hyatt Place. I know they rack the price during the summer. In my opinion, I wouldn't pay per night more than $130 after taxes.
This hotel is sold out and was charging $399 for the guranteed availability. How convenient is it to get to the Hamptons/Montauk? Or I'm I better off finding something in Montauk instead?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:34 am

Montauk is far AND THE TRAFFIC from SoutHampton to Amagansett is the worst.

Do not use Riverhead as your gateway to the Hamptons.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:47 am
K79

Originally Posted by 747
Montauk is far AND THE TRAFFIC from SoutHampton to Amagansett is the worst.

Do not use Riverhead as your gateway to the Hamptons.
+1.

This hotel is sold out and was charging $399 for the guranteed availability. How convenient is it to get to the Hamptons/Montauk? Or I'm I better off finding something in Montauk instead?

I would look elsewhere, something in Montauk instead. There are other things/ activities that this property offers at different times of the year (i.e. Wine tours). However, I dont know how these tours are since I have never participated in any.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll probably look for something else then.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:19 pm

any recent stays? thinking about staying here and visit some of the nearby wineries. is it worth the drive to montauk? i know it's still about an hour away.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:48 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Wrapping up a very nice three-night stay here. As noted above, the weekend rates during the summer season are pretty steep here, but we found decent rates during the middle of the week, plus decent award inventory so I was able to burn my 2020 Cat 1-4 Free Night Cert.

As an Explorist, I was given a room upgrade to a room on the top (fifth) floor facing the Peconic River and the marina behind the property. The view is really nice and using my binoculars, I was able to spot cormorants, ducks, egrets, gulls, herons, and swans outside.

The property also offered us two bottled waters per day as an Explorist perk. The COVID-19 modified breakfast has the normal cold breakfast options (all in single serving packages) along with a hot breakfast that was scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, and meat (bacon the first two days and sausage the last). Guests are allowed to sit in the breakfast area with social distancing, but I chose to take everything back up to our room. We declined housekeeping during our stay; it was easy enough to order fresh towels and coffee packs at the front desk which were brought up very quickly. I did bring some kitchen trash bags with us to help keep our room relatively clean and odor-free during our stay. There's a small number of free parking spaces in the front of the hotel and a larger gravel lot across the street that can be accessed via a room card.

As noted above, this is a relatively new build hotel and the property is in good shape. The room style is in the older Amerisuites layout, but the carpeting in the room has been replaced by laminate, with a small rug in the sofa area. The wet bar is missing, replaced with a small cabinet where the mini fridge is located, along with the ice bucket, glasses, and coffee maker. Our room connects to the room next to us and we did get some noise from the family staying next to us for our last night. All of the staff we dealt with were exceedingly friendly and helpful.

The immediate area is pretty nice; there's a scenic walkway along the river that you can access from the other side of the Long Island Aquarium next door and there's quite of few restaurants within walking distance. Directly next door to the hotel is a seafood restaurant/bar called Jerry and the Mermaid that could be considered the de facto hotel bar and restaurant. We ate dinner on their covered patio one night and the food was decent, not great (about what you would expect from a mid-range hotel restaurant). We did take-out dinner from a Turkish place about a five minute walk away and that was good. There's also a distillery and craft brewery that's a 10 minute walk away for those interested in such things.

We drove directly to Montauk on our way out from NYC and then back to Riverhead via Sag Harbor. I was not interested in doing that drive more than once and can only imagine how long it would be with weekend traffic. We spent more time driving out to the North Fork and Shelter Island as day trips and that was much more pleasant. There's no shortage of wineries, farm stands, and restaurants to keep one busy, along with the wildlife and river activities.

Overall, I think this is an excellent option for the area and a great place to use a Free Night Cert or two.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 12, 2020 at 5:30 pm
Old Sep 11, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Great review, thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2020, 10:03 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Awesome that you hit the North Fork and Shelter Island. I grew up out there although i was born on the other fork. Vastly prefer the North Fork.

We almost stayed here this summer because we flew into EWR so late and couldn’t time the SI ferry correctly to get all the way from Seattle to the Island in one day. In the end we were too tired and stayed further up Island on that first night. Good to
hear it’s a decent option, we will probably use it next year.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.