Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond breakfast

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2013, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Diamond breakfast

I am a new Diamond member. I am staying at the Hyatt Regency in Austin tonight. There is no Regency or Grand Club. What am I entitled to for breakfast? I'm staying with my husband and two kids. I've been told two breakfast buffets for my husband and I, I've been told no breakfast, and I was told by the Gold Passport line line that at the hotels discretion that breakfast for all for is covered. What is policy?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:21 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
This is what it says on Hyatt website......never had any trouble with any Hyatts getting Diamond breakfasts for all those registered in our room.

Receive exclusive access to the Regency Club or Grand Club lounge featuring complimentary continental breakfast and evening hors d’oeuvres2. Enjoy daily complimentary full breakfast in hotels without a club lounge3
Daily complimentary full breakfast inclusive of one entrée (or standard breakfast buffet), juice and coffee (tax, gratuity and service charges included) will be provided to the member and each registered guest in the room, maximum four (4) people when staying at Hyatt Place properties, Hyatt House properties, or Hyatt Residence Club resorts.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt-Glob, DL-Dia, AA-EXP
amj27,
Congrats on the new Diamond status. I'm a Diamond member and have stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Austin a few times. Technically, the rules for breakfast, per Hyatt written T&C (http://www.hyatt.com/gp/en/benefits/...ip_diamond.jsp) are for REGISTERED GUESTS in the room. So, if you have booked the room with 2 adults and 2 children, you should receive complimentary breakfast for 4. If you have only booked for 2, it is at the hotel's discretion to extend the benefit to all 4 people.
In the past, I have had a booking for 2 at the HR Austin and succeeded in kindly asking the front desk to extend the benefit to another person; however, they are not required to do that.
On a separate note, the Diamond benefit technically includes gratuity and taxes; however, this property has in the past put my gratuity on the bill anyway. I normally have to ask for it to removed at check out. Although, the one time they extended the benefit to a third person for breakfast (who I did not pay for as a registered guest on my room rate) I didn't fight the gratuity on the bill. I tend not to argue about a few $ when they comped a $15-20 buffet breakfast.
Hope that helps.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Diamond breakfast

I saw that, but what about a Hyatt Regency? The verbage above pertains to Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, and Hyatt Residence Club. It's my husband, two small vegetarian (one with egg allergies) kids, and I. I'm a little irritated because the kids meals would literally be a bowl of cereal and OJ.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Diamond breakfast

We are registered for four. Two adults and two kids.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt-Glob, DL-Dia, AA-EXP
The max of 4 applies to the Hyatt Vacation properties because they have some 2-3 bedroom condos you can rent. This caps at 4 for those properties. The registered guest rule definitely is applicable to the Hyatt Regency and will cover up to 4 people. I've had a suite there before with 4 people registered and we all got breakfast as a benefit.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: 2.4mm++ AA Plat, Hlt Diam, Hyt Globaist, Mrrt Gold, Gold Pts, MilesForDreams.com, etc.. etal..
I have always gotten 4 breakfasts covered and often they will cover my 9 year old as well for 5 depending on which property your at.

I have also seen them cover incidental breakfast items from Starbucks at the Orange County property. I did not expect it but he knocked it off.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, United 1K
Originally Posted by Milesbuilder
I have always gotten 4 breakfasts covered and often they will cover my 9 year old as well for 5 depending on which property your at.

I have also seen them cover incidental breakfast items from Starbucks at the Orange County property. I did not expect it but he knocked it off.
Also you should be entitled to 2500 bonus points because the club is closed -- even if they give you separate breakfast. this worked for me at HR ATL, without me even asking for it.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by publicrelasian
Also you should be entitled to 2500 bonus points because the club is closed -- even if they give you separate breakfast. this worked for me at HR ATL, without me even asking for it.
This is true only if the hotel is regularly operating the RC and it is closed when you visit. Otherwise (hotel doesn't have the RC - case at HR Austin or the club is permanently closed) you are not supposed to get this bonus. To the OP, having stayed at HR Austin before on several occasions I can confirm that you should get the breakfast for all 4 of you.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: 2.4mm++ AA Plat, Hlt Diam, Hyt Globaist, Mrrt Gold, Gold Pts, MilesForDreams.com, etc.. etal..
Originally Posted by publicrelasian
Nice bonus but OC does not have an RC. I will have to remember that for other properties.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 3:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by todorovic
This is true only if the hotel is regularly operating the RC and it is closed when you visit. Otherwise (hotel doesn't have the RC - case at HR Austin or the club is permanently closed) you are not supposed to get this bonus.
How does that work in places like Indianapolis where the club closes at 2pm Friday and reopens Monday? I asked at the front desk on my weekend stay and they told me they did not provide the 2,500 point benefit as the club closure is posted on their website and I could have breakfast in the restaurant instead. I sent a PM to Gold Passport Concierge but no response yet (might not be fully staffed this week so willing to give them some time to respond).

Checked out and there was a charge for breakfast on my bill and the agent said I should not have been told I would be comped breakfast and he would correct the employee that told me that (which I think was an asst manager as she was not in a grey Hyatt blazer). I felt like I was in an alternate Hyatt universe there. They did remove the breakfast from the bill but my feeling was they only did that because an earlier employee had promised me that benefit. He also told me he was following policy spelled out by his manager.

Aside from those issues, though, I had a very nice stay.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by tom911
How does that work in places like Indianapolis where the club closes at 2pm Friday and reopens Monday? I asked at the front desk on my weekend stay and they told me they did not provide the 2,500 point benefit as the club closure is posted on their website and I could have breakfast in the restaurant instead. I sent a PM to Gold Passport Concierge but no response yet (might not be fully staffed this week so willing to give them some time to respond).

Checked out and there was a charge for breakfast on my bill and the agent said I should not have been told I would be comped breakfast and he would correct the employee that told me that (which I think was an asst manager as she was not in a grey Hyatt blazer). I felt like I was in an alternate Hyatt universe there. They did remove the breakfast from the bill but my feeling was they only did that because an earlier employee had promised me that benefit. He also told me he was following policy spelled out by his manager.

Aside from those issues, though, I had a very nice stay.
Definitely a twilight zone. Providing you are a diamond, you should take whatever you were told and seek the opposite. Breakfast in the restaurant is included for diamonds and you should get the 2.5k points since this is exactly the situation for which the bonus was designed for.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by todorovic
Definitely a twilight zone. Providing you are a diamond, you should take whatever you were told and seek the opposite. Breakfast in the restaurant is included for diamonds and you should get the 2.5k points since this is exactly the situation for which the bonus was designed for.
SPG has had problems with manager-made rules and I hope Hyatt doesn't allow this practice to spread among its properties.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:45 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by tom911
How does that work in places like Indianapolis where the club closes at 2pm Friday and reopens Monday? I asked at the front desk on my weekend stay and they told me they did not provide the 2,500 point benefit as the club closure is posted on their website and I could have breakfast in the restaurant instead.
It's my understanding that they will be obliged to give you 2500 points. It really doesn't matter that they divulged it and they provided breakfast elsewhere.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
That's how I read the website on Diamond benefits, too. I thought I had a good handle on Diamond benefits after a couple of years but even I'm surprised once in a while. Having two different issues at the same property is a first for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.