Some experiences as a diamond

Old Jun 27, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Huh? Are you saying that in the USA, you would be charged for the third person occupying the room but not explicitly the rollaway? Or that extra people would just be free, regardless of the beds, sheets, etc. being used? IMO there should be a rollaway charge and there should be a charge for additional people as either way it adds to the hotel's costs.
I guess we have different expectations and certainly different experiences. I don't know if your opinion would change depending on the age of the person sleeping on the rollaway bed - I am mostly referring to situations where the third person is a young child (<10-12 years of age). I would not feel comfortable separating young children from parents into a separate room and don't believe that families with kids should be punished for traveling together. Based on my pretty extensive experience I was never charged in the U.S. and I don't expect that to change in the future. International properties (and not just Hyatt) play by different rules but are also very transparent when it comes to their requirements in terms of occupancy and extra charges. There I expect a charge and almost often there is one. I had hotels in Middle East and Asia wave those charges but that is not the norm IME.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Still, we're talking about knowingly booking a room with a king bed for 2 persons, when rooms with 2 beds are readily available, and then requesting a roll-away bed for the 2nd person at no charge.
The problem is that most hotels do not have suites with 2 beds. I'm just trying to be reasonable here, so what if I want a suite for the extra room but I don't want to sleep with the other person? I have personally been in many situations like that when traveling with friends or family so I have ended up finding a hotel that offers double beds in suites even if there was a Hyatt in town.

Surely it makes more sense to waive the fee for the rollaway bed than risk losing out on the whole reservation, which could have happened in the OP's case.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: qantas platinum (OWE), hyatt platinum, hertz gold
I had no idea I would spark this controversy

My original post was simply meant as a kudos to Hyatt. I agree on the 2 people 3 people argument. It does seem that in all 3 stays (now in Da Nang) the fee has been waived. On check-in today I was asked if there is a 3rd person. When I said no there was no discussion of a fee.

Being a diamond has brought me great pleasure on this trip and I simply wanted to express that.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by dragonman
My original post was simply meant as a kudos to Hyatt. I agree on the 2 people 3 people argument. It does seem that in all 3 stays (now in Da Nang) the fee has been waived. On check-in today I was asked if there is a 3rd person. When I said no there was no discussion of a fee.

Being a diamond has brought me great pleasure on this trip and I simply wanted to express that.
I apologize if it seemed that this discussion of charges for a rollaway seemed in any way critical of you. That certainly was not my intention and I'm quite sure that it was not the intention of anyone else who voiced an opinion re rollaway charges; we're just opinionated.

As I said earlier, I'm glad you're enjoying GP Diamond. I certainly have.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.