Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

What if my travel plans fall through? Do I get stay credit?

Old Jan 22, 2023, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt

I am sure this has been answered before, but search hasnt found it.

Im thinking of meeting my son in NYC for spring break - he'd come up from DC, I'd fly from Seattle. But recently laid off, consulting for a bit. Things are hectic and I want to perform well for new team.

There's a good chance my trip gets cancelled, in which case son is still down to be in NYC (we are from there originally).

What happens to my res? Globalist benefits don't apply? I dont get night credits? The reservation is still honored, though, right? Rate change?
Old Jan 22, 2023, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tripmaster

Im thinking of meeting my son in NYC for spring break - he'd come up from DC, I'd fly from Seattle. But recently laid off, consulting for a bit. Things are hectic and I want to perform well for new team.

There's a good chance my trip gets cancelled, in which case son is still down to be in NYC (we are from there originally).

What happens to my res? Globalist benefits don't apply? I dont get night credits? The reservation is still honored, though, right? Rate change?
It's not totally clear from your post - but I assume the situation you're describing is that the room is booked under your name for $x nightly rate with your son as a 2nd guest. If you don't show up then you can transfer the reservation into his name for the same $x rate. Globalist benefits will not apply (assuming your son is not Globalist). Your son will get the stay credit.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 9:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by tripmaster

Elaborating, but slightly disagreeing with the previous answer.

As previously noted, If you did not already do so, make sure your son is on the reservation as an additional guest. That should allow him to check in without you or before you. Done all the time.

When or if asked for a card swipe, he should tell them to use the (your) card on file and ask for two keys. If they ask, tell them his father booked the room and is expected as soon as you can get there. (Which is even true. Just you might not make it at all. They don't need that many details). That should be enough. If they should insist on a card swipe, tell them your son's card is for incidentals only and you already booked the room on your card. They probably will hand him any Globalist information or breakfast certificates with the keys.

That should be enough. (You don't need to try and change the reservation name). It would still allow you to arrive later if that is what works out. When our children were shopping colleges, especially grad school, we were often arriving at different times on different airplanes. Did something similar all the time. No need to make it more complicated.

Best wishes on the new employment. My last employer expired in the Covid crash. I'm old enough most people would be running for the door to retire, But I liked what I did and would love a part-time role. But the phone is not ringing off the hook for old men with specialized skill sets who not really interested in long commutes or flying off somewhere different every week.
tripmaster likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jayer
Elaborating, but slightly disagreeing with the previous answer.

As previously noted, If you did not already do so, make sure your son is on the reservation as an additional guest. That should allow him to check in without you or before you. Done all the time.

When or if asked for a card swipe, he should tell them to use the (your) card on file and ask for two keys. If they ask, tell them his father booked the room and is expected as soon as you can get there. (Which is even true. Just you might not make it at all. They don't need that many details). That should be enough. If they should insist on a card swipe, tell them your son's card is for incidentals only and you already booked the room on your card. They probably will hand him any Globalist information or breakfast certificates with the keys.

That should be enough. (You don't need to try and change the reservation name). It would still allow you to arrive later if that is what works out. When our children were shopping colleges, especially grad school, we were often arriving at different times on different airplanes. Did something similar all the time.
That goes against the terms, but it might work out. Depends on the property / check in agent.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you book on points, it can be treated as a guest of honor reservation so your son can enjoy Globalist benefits. You would not get stay credit, but that's in my view a fair trade.
Originally Posted by jayer
When or if asked for a card swipe, he should tell them to use the (your) card on file and ask for two keys. If they ask, tell them his father booked the room and is expected as soon as you can get there.
Encouraging a child to tell what is at best a half truth (and possibly a knowingly falsehood) to get something he's not entitled to is not exactly a great life-lesson.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:16 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Everybody in this post is correct. Choose your comfort level and proceed. Your results may vary. So may your account status by the end of it, though unlikely... risky depending on your status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.