Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt just helped me plan the rest of my year...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HH, Starwood, Hyatt, Marriott

I have always loved the idea of free suite upgrades that come along with my Diamond status. So much, in fact that I have guarded them jealously, waiting for the perfect time to use them. In 3 years of Diamond I've not used one single upgrade. So finally I decide my stay in the Reston, VA Hyatt this weekend would be the perfect opportunity to use one.

Oh, but there's not a suite available. I mean, well, there IS a suite available IF I want to pay them Gold Passport points. But it isn't available for a Diamond award. In other words, they are not going to honor my Diamond "benefit". I have to pay for the "benefit"!! LOL.

So thank you, Hyatt. I've been trying to determine with whom I should spend the remainder of my 200 nights/year travel schedule this year. You decided for me. It won't be Hyatt, because my loyalty and status are clearly not worth much, so what's the point?

Has anyone else had trouble using their "free" upgrades? (Sure feels like a bait and switch to me.)
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:31 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Hello Jills,

If you would like to PM me your reservation details, I will look into this for you.

Safe travels,

-Abrea H.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: WN A+ & CP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond, *wood Plat, National EE
Hang up and call again. Make sure the suite available is eligible for upgrade usage. I have used the upgrades at this hotel in the past.

Btw. The suite I was given was one of the living room, dining table, kitchenette suites. It was okay...but no big deal.

Call back and talk to a different rep. I have had similar "dealings" when trying to use my Chase Suite nights. At the end if the day it worked out.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Thx, Ifly. I'm not looking for the Presidential Suite or even the "lap of luxury" for that matter. Just want them to honor their program's promises. There's a chance I'd have been upgraded a bit anyway. But based on this experience, I'm not too optimistic. I'll keep ya posted
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Ahhh....

Faith in Hyatt has once again been restored.

This is probably the first hiccup I've ever encounterred with Hyatt - ever. And they not only did their service not disappoint, it was downright amazing!

(Looks like I'll be working on my Diamond status again this year! LOL.)
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:45 am

Such melodramatics so soon without a little more effort into resolving it. Every company has issues and problems sometimes with benefits and such...doesn't mean they won't get honored, or if they don't, that there is not a valid reason. I have used 1about 13 suite upgrades in the last 4 years and never had a single issue. I have a lot of things I take issue at with Hyatt (lack of quality promos, hotel footprint in certain areas, etc), but customer service has never been one of them.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:33 pm

I've never had any issues using suite upgrades except when there are no suites available. Glad to hear things were worked out. I would also point out that this is just one property. Had things gone the other way, I would have advised not bailing on HGP due to one property's failures.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by antonius66
Such melodramatics so soon without a little more effort into resolving it. Every company has issues and problems sometimes with benefits and such...doesn't mean they won't get honored, or if they don't, that there is not a valid reason. I have used 1about 13 suite upgrades in the last 4 years and never had a single issue. I have a lot of things I take issue at with Hyatt (lack of quality promos, hotel footprint in certain areas, etc), but customer service has never been one of them.
+1

Pretty big tantrum for an isolated incident that was quickly resolved.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: QF PL (OW Emerald) Lifetime Gold; HGP Explorist; SPG Gold; HH Diamond
However, the OP has a point.

I have tried to use upgrade certs for bookings in 3 hyatts over Dec/Jan and found that none of them have availability.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: WN A+ & CP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond, *wood Plat, National EE
Originally Posted by dtm1
However, the OP has a point.

I have tried to use upgrade certs for bookings in 3 hyatts over Dec/Jan and found that none of them have availability.
Not having availability and not allowing redemption are two totally separate issues. A lot of hotels actually Sell their suites. I cannot fault them for this. All you can really do is book waaaaay in advance and confirm the upgrade early...before they sell the rooms.

The OP had an issue because the Suite was offered but only for points...not n the award.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Well, for those of you shouting "melodrama", you clearly don't know me. I'm not the squeaky wheel type. At all. Not my style, typically. I posted this only after 4 - 5 emails exchanged over several days with Hyatt customer service, and (for some reason) Hyatt sales. Not sure how he got involved. But both individuals maintained that while there was indeed a suite available for points, They would not be honoring my Diamond free suite upgrade.

So before jumping to judgement.... facts are good things to have.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
It would be nice if GP Concierge could clarify when exactly these Diamond suite upgrades cannot be used. The terms only indicate availability and if an eligible rate. For properties with multiple suite types, it would seem that both the Diamond suite upgrades and point suite upgrades would always book into the same type. Here is a thread somewhat related to the OP's:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...inventory.html
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
big tantrum for a very minor issue.

Originally Posted by spankytoes
+1

Pretty big tantrum for an isolated incident that was quickly resolved.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:21 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
Originally Posted by Andaz5
big tantrum for a very minor issue.
I agree maybe you should have copied us in on the email- that may have put your point across better.
but good that is is resolved and good that the Hyatt concierge was willing to help.
sounds like this one may be a bit more proactive than the last.^
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:56 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by Jills
Well, for those of you shouting "melodrama", you clearly don't know me. I'm not the squeaky wheel type. At all.
Clearly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.