Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hotel Martinez (Unbound Collection) Cannes, France REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2013, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA1K, AA PP; Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Plat; National EE

The hotel is situated off the main boulevard near the Hotel Carlton. It faces the sea with beach access and chairs/umbrellas. The views around were great. The public spaces looked good for Grand Hyatt to us and the people very helpful and polished. It seems they've brought in some qualified Hyatt personnel with the training because everything ran like a normal Hyatt hotel with explanation of benefits, upgrade as a Diamond to best non-suite room, etc. They noted breakfast is in the restaurant downstairs, no room service option as a Diamond.

The Deluxe Sea View room had a great view of the area (we were on the top floor) and was laid out in a long entrance fashion, then the desk on the right and bed on the left. The bathroom had a separate area for the toilet from the sink/shower area. The shower head was inside a tub with one of those half glass partitions, so it was difficult to keep the surrounding floor dry.

The breakfast was a buffet with an omelet station with a chef making eggs however you'd like. They had all the pastries and bread you would expect, jams, fruit, cheese, some meats, cereal, juice and water area, etc. You could get coffee or tea with your meal. It was a fine spread, not over the top like in some locations, but not lacking in our opinion.

Parking is 40 euro but street parking is around (different time limits, but we were there on a Saturday night and parking was free on Sunday). It was a vibrant street and hadn't seen that many nice cars (Rolls Royce, Ferraris, Lamborghinis) since Monte Carlo.

I can see why it's a category 6 due to the location, service, decorations and public spaces. We will return when we're in the area again.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:22 am
Community Director Emerita

Thank you. I have been eager to see a review of the hotel, more than pictures of lots of celebs in and out during the Cannes Film Festival. It's great to have a Hyatt choice in this charming town.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA1K, AA PP; Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Plat; National EE
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Thank you. I have been eager to see a review of the hotel, more than pictures of lots of celebs in and out during the Cannes Film Festival. It's great to have a Hyatt choice in this charming town.
No problem. I've added a few pictures of the spaces below. I had heard that consideration about making it a PH was discussed, and I'm glad it went on the Grand level. Way too big to be a PH but a great GH.

Last edited by honey4life12; Aug 5, 2013 at 9:13 am
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:05 pm

I used to stay at the Noga Hilton, when it was a Hilton. Having a Hyatt choice on the strip is great.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:52 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Just booked this hotel!
Requested a junior suite. Fingers crossed!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Promised pics

Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:04 pm

Use of a suite upgrade here entitles one to a city view junior suite, 50 sq meters. Has anyone booked this and gotten a further upgrade? Descriptions on the website show the jump from a junior suite to be very significant, to a water view 100 sq m suite. I can understand the hotel staff being loath to give out this suite, yet will be a bit disappointed if there are no water view junior suites.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Use of a suite upgrade here entitles one to a city view junior suite, 50 sq meters. Has anyone booked this and gotten a further upgrade? Descriptions on the website show the jump from a junior suite to be very significant, to a water view 100 sq m suite. I can understand the hotel staff being loath to give out this suite, yet will be a bit disappointed if there are no water view junior suites.
One of my pet peeves: A suite upgrade should be an upgrade to a suite (2 rooms). I don't like that hotels are trying to go around that by just giving you a bigger room.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: Yes.
any updates? might cancel our summer booking if no sea view from jr suite.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Great hotel! Loved the service, the facilities, and the location. My only gripe is that they gave me an older room when I checked in. While I was leaning on the bedside nightstand, i tore the whole thing off the wall! Seriously!

So they ended up giving me a renovated, more modern room... which was fabulous. When checking-in, just make sure you ask for a newer room. They are about 10x better than their old ones.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Very classy hotel – drove from Nice airport which took about 40 minutes and handed our car over to the Valet for parking - €40 per night. Shown through to reception and sat down while checked in. The young lady that was checking us in was being trained so the process took a little longer than usual but it was perfectly OK.

Foyer at Grand Hyatt Hotel Martinez Cannes by nigelrturner, on Flickr

She explained the Diamond benefits to us:

- Upgrade to sea view room if available
- Complimentary breakfast
- Newspaper
- Amenity or points
- Open bar from 5PM to 7PM
- Complimentary internet (multiple devices)

We chose the amenity which was already in the room – a local bottle of red and some apples. I guess if we had gone for the points then this would have been taken away by housekeeping.

Our room was on the 5th floor with a view over the pool and towards the sea.

View from room at Grand Hyatt Hotel Martinez Cannes by nigelrturner, on Flickr

Pool at Grand Hyatt Hotel Martinez Cannes by nigelrturner, on Flickr

Nice size room and well appointed and very luxurious bathroom.

Bathroom at Grand Hyatt Martinez Cannes by nigelrturner, on Flickr

It looked like the room had recently been redecorated but the furniture looked older and more worn.

King Bedroom at Grand Hyatt Martinez Cannes by nigelrturner, on Flickr

King Bedroom at Grand Hyatt Martinez Cannes by nigelrturner, on Flickr

The room has a small safe and a mini bar – the prices of which will make your eyes water! Two small bottles of water were provided as part of the turn down service.

We went down to the bar about 5:30 and ordered a couple of drinks which came with an assortment of nibbles. It was very difficult to get anyones attention to order more drinks and in the end my wife went to the bar much to the horror of the head barman. Two rounds of basic drinks were about €65 and they appeared on the View your Bill function on the TV. Had a very nice dinner at a small restaurant just off Rue d’Antibes. Surprisingly good and affordable restaurants are available a couple of streets back from the beach.

Breakfast could normally taken inside, in a conservatory area or outside. Unfortunately the weather was not good and there was very heavy rain. Typical assortment of hot and cold food and bolied eggs and omelettes available to order. The hot food selections did run out and were not refilled particularly quickly but overall a reasonable breakfast and excellent service.

Heated pool was open but didn’t see anyone using it. Chair and towel hire were quite expensive - €17 each during off season. Beach was closed until mid April – I believe it is due to open for the Easter weekend.

Strangely when our room was cleaned the two wine glasses that had been with our amenity had gone but the bottle of wine remained.

The weather didn’t improve all day and although we did venture out it was extremely cold, wet and windy so we had a late lunch in 72 which is next door to the Hyatt. Nice food but drinks very expensive - €10.50 for a glass of wine and €9.50 for a Heineken.

We asked for a late checkout as it hadn’t been offered at check in and also checked about the open bar. We were given a 4PM check out and assured that the bar was indeed complimentary to Diamonds in lieu of a lounge which they hope to have in place later this year.

Had a drink in the bar again but found it impossible to get anyones attention and 7PM came and went elsewhere. Braving the weather we found a small restaurant that had been established in 1939 – the food was excellent and madam spoke perfect English. Excellent food and great value for money.

The following day after a poor nights sleep – the hotel was very quiet but unfortunately we had very noisy neighbours upstairs and we were forced to call security at 1AM. Checked out at 4PM after a number of calls from housekeeping and of course the bill included the drinks in the bar. They were removed immediately we queried the bill and with much apology.

Overall a great hotel in an excellent location. I had managed to secure a reasonable rate for our stay and was very glad of my Diamond status and breakfast, drinks, etc are expensive. Service was outstanding and look forward to returning here again soon.

Last edited by BAGoldBoy; Mar 24, 2014 at 9:46 am
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:28 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Although not listed here, is complimentary internet also a benefit?
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
She explained the Diamond benefits to us:

- Upgrade to sea view room if available
- Complimentary breakfast
- Newspaper
- Amenity or points
- Open bar from 5PM to 7PM
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Although not listed here, is complimentary internet also a benefit?
Now updated above
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:51 am

Thank you for a wonderful report, BAGoldBoy. It encouraged me as I look forward to my own stay this summer. Is their gastronomic restaurant, La Palme d'Or, still operating? It has been many years since I've eaten there, but I thought it decent value for lunch on the veranda. You mentioned eating at nearby restaurants. Are there any you would recommend?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thank you for a wonderful report, BAGoldBoy. It encouraged me as I look forward to my own stay this summer. Is their gastronomic restaurant, La Palme d'Or, still operating? It has been many years since I've eaten there, but I thought it decent value for lunch on the veranda. You mentioned eating at nearby restaurants. Are there any you would recommend?
The Palme d'Or reopened I believe on 15th March. There is a set lunch which was €79 IIRC but the dinner menu was prohibitively expensive. There were a number of other special offers in Le Relais as well.

Our first night we ate at Aux P'tits Anges - http://auxptitsanges.blogspot.co.uk/. Very nice restaurant and amazingly quiet for a Friday night. My wife started with red tuna which was served in a banana leaf and with oriental sauces, while I went for the shredded rabbit salad with shavings of foie gras. For mains we went with saint jacques and duck breast followed by coffee with small deserts. Great food and nice choice of reasonably priced wines.

Our second night we were keen to find something to get out of the pouring rain and selected La Mere Besson at 13, Rue des Freres Pradigne which has been in business since 1939. The food is traditional and the restaurant is certainly traditional but we enjoyed excellent food and service and great value for money. I started with Pistou with crushed garlic and basil and it was just superb. My wife had a beef ravioli and it was stunning. For mains my wife had a seafood quenelle which she really enjoyed and I had oxtail kidneys. A very enjoyable evening and there were a number of obviously regular customers there.

On Sunday we decided to explore by car and ended up in Valbonne and had a superb lunch at Auberge Provencale with surprisingly sophisticated food.

I will post reviews at tripadvisor soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.