Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Points Redemption for Diamond @ NYC - which property is best?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2013, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Hopefully the title is self-explanatory....

I'm planning a stay in NYC late June - last minute, spur of the moment

IF there was a PH there would be no question.
Right now, I'm thinking Andaz 5th Ave. We've stayed at GH Grand Central before due to its central location but that was before Andaz 5th was around.

Party of 4 (2+2 college age)
5 nights max
I'm Diamond with Hyatt, Platinum with SPG

How do I confirm suite via points?
Will I get breakfast for 4 as Diamond? - I recall getting breakfast for 4 us in previous Hyatt property stays (Palm Springs, Andaz West Hollywood) but not sure about NYC properties.
Will I need to book 2 rooms? Even though I have lots of points I'd like to hang on to them for another planned stay in Europe and Asia later this year.

So... all you seasoned NYC travelers, what's the verdict? Should I stick with Andaz 5th? or??
Old Jun 5, 2013, 8:25 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by directcj
Hopefully the title is self-explanatory....

I'm planning a stay in NYC late June - last minute, spur of the moment

IF there was a PH there would be no question.
Right now, I'm thinking Andaz 5th Ave. We've stayed at GH Grand Central before due to its central location but that was before Andaz 5th was around.

Party of 4 (2+2 college age)
5 nights max
I'm Diamond with Hyatt, Platinum with SPG

How do I confirm suite via points?
Will I get breakfast for 4 as Diamond? - I recall getting breakfast for 4 us in previous Hyatt property stays (Palm Springs, Andaz West Hollywood) but not sure about NYC properties.
Will I need to book 2 rooms? Even though I have lots of points I'd like to hang on to them for another planned stay in Europe and Asia later this year.

So... all you seasoned NYC travelers, what's the verdict? Should I stick with Andaz 5th? or??
Andaz 5th Avenue is by far the best choice.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
It All Depends on What is Most Important to You, But NYC Presents Challenges

All the hotels have their own long threads I would encourage you to read, so this is the lightning round.

1. Room size will be an issue with four adults in the 48 Lex, assuming they would let you book four people to one suite. But they have the single best one or two breakfast items.
2. Closet space would be an issue for four people at 5th Avenue, and maybe room size too. But it might have the best variety of unique choices at breakfast.
3. Rooms in the Grand are hardly large. There was not much left over after they stuck the beds, and the bathrooms were of a size when people were smaller. Much smaller. Can't really even share a sink. But they have a Grand Club that isn't too bad.
4. Rooms are larger at Wall Street, but least exciting breakfast menu and location.
5. Can't vouch for any suite other than entry level, but the bathroom doors on rooms and entry suites are glass at 48 Lex, 5th Avenue, and Wall Street.

I'd say for four adults get two rooms even if that means cutting back to the Hyatt Place so everybody gets a bed (disclaimer I have not been there yet), or explore if a non-Hyatt might have larger suites that are more suitable for four adults.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jayer
All the hotels have their own long threads I would encourage you to read, so this is the lightning round.

1. Room size will be an issue with four adults in the 48 Lex, assuming they would let you book four people to one suite. But they have the single best one or two breakfast items.
2. Closet space would be an issue for four people at 5th Avenue, and maybe room size too. But it might have the best variety of unique choices at breakfast.
3. Rooms in the Grand are hardly large. There was not much left over after they stuck the beds, and the bathrooms were of a size when people were smaller. Much smaller. Can't really even share a sink. But they have a Grand Club that isn't too bad.
4. Rooms are larger at Wall Street, but least exciting breakfast menu and location.
5. Can't vouch for any suite other than entry level, but the bathroom doors on rooms and entry suites are glass at 48 Lex, 5th Avenue, and Wall Street.

I'd say for four adults get two rooms even if that means cutting back to the Hyatt Place so everybody gets a bed (disclaimer I have not been there yet), or explore if a non-Hyatt might have larger suites that are more suitable for four adults.
Agree that each property has their own looong thread. However, it's difficult to get as you said the lightning round version. Appreciate much the lightning round feedback.
Regarding #5 - are all bathroom doors to the Andaz 5th glass? I know the Andaz San Diego has certain rooms where the bathroom is "exhibition/goldfish bowl" style but I was able to get other rooms which didn't have the exhibitionist bathrooms. Also, closet space will not be an issue. We travel light, one bag style. At least I do anyways
I've already decided to forego the Grand Central. Prefer to experience something a bit more luxe or botique stye. As I said... wish they still had a Park Hyatt in NYC

I'd like to hear a bit more about 48 Lex compared to Andaz 5th.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
If you want something luxurious/Boutique style and you are college age... undergrad??? or graduate?

Rooms are too small at LEX 48 and the location is dead at night. Even the suites are small... to small for 4 people.

I would go with the Andaz 5 or Union Square... lean more toward the Andaz 5... here is why.

Andaz 5 the restaurant is Hyatt owned you get a more generous breakfast package as a diamond $50 per person, rooms are larger, standard suite upgrade for Diamonds is the Splash Suite, decent gym. For a suite at a CAT 6 hotel it's 33,000 points a night.

Union Square - just like Hyatt Lex 48 Rooms are TINY.. food and beverage is not own by Hyatt so the free breakfast is not as generous. For a suite at a CAT 5 hotel it's 27,000 points a night. The hotel is location in a great part of the city, walking distance to all the hot spots in the Village, hotel has this young, hip vibe. BUT ROOMS ARE TINY.

As a New York regular I still think the Andaz 5 is the best bet in NYC for a Hyatt when it comes to room size, location, diamond breakfast and total ambiance.

If you want more information I would go to TripAdvisor and look at the photos... there are also some good reviews here on FlyerTalk...

Agree that each property has their own looong thread. However, it's difficult to get as you said the lightning round version. Appreciate much the lightning round feedback.
Regarding #5 - are all bathroom doors to the Andaz 5th glass? I know the Andaz San Diego has certain rooms where the bathroom is "exhibition/goldfish bowl" style but I was able to get other rooms which didn't have the exhibitionist bathrooms. Also, closet space will not be an issue. We travel light, one bag style. At least I do anyways
I've already decided to forego the Grand Central. Prefer to experience something a bit more luxe or botique stye. As I said... wish they still had a Park Hyatt in NYC

I'd like to hear a bit more about 48 Lex compared to Andaz 5th.

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; Jun 6, 2013 at 12:43 am
Old Jun 6, 2013, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
Andaz 5 the restaurant is Hyatt owned you get a more generous breakfast package as a diamond $50 per person, rooms are larger, standard suite upgrade for Diamonds is the Splash Suite, decent gym. For a suite at a CAT 6 hotel it's 33,000 points a night.
Is the Diamond breakfast not US 75 for the room (although in some cases they waive the extra?)
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
If you want something luxurious/Boutique style and you are college age... undergrad??? or graduate?

As a New York regular I still think the Andaz 5 is the best bet in NYC for a Hyatt when it comes to room size, location, diamond breakfast and total ambiance.

If you want more information I would go to TripAdvisor and look at the photos... there are also some good reviews here on FlyerTalk...
RadiantFlyer- I am not college age. The 2 luggage carriers coming with me are
Thx for the LEX 48 and Union Square comparo. I'll take a look at the pics but for the moment looks like my gut instincts were correct. Still wondering whether the room at Andaz 5th has an "exhibition" style bathroom but hopefully the website and/or pics will tell me.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
RadiantFlyer- I am not college age. The 2 luggage carriers coming with me are
Thx for the LEX 48 and Union Square comparo. I'll take a look at the pics but for the moment looks like my gut instincts were correct. Still wondering whether the room at Andaz 5th has an "exhibition" style bathroom but hopefully the website and/or pics will tell me.
just a note: i really don't think you will be able to- nor would want to- get 4 adults in one room (even a suite). and if you only list 2 on the reservation, you will only get a diamond breakfast for 2 in the restaurant, and the lobby is fairly small so they would see that there are more than 2 to the room. I would book two base rooms. if you are limited on points, your best bet is to search individual night rates during the 5 days, book the cheapest nights with paid reservations and use your points on the other nights (a suite is 33,000 pts/nt, base room is 22,000 pts/nt, so for 5 nights, you would only have to pay for 2 rooms for 1 night (165k points for a suite for 5 nights, 176k points for 2 rooms for 4 nights).
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
I would definitely not rule out the Hyatt Regency Jersey City. It's a nice property, lower redemption cost, great breakfast, beautiful views of the city. 4 minutes on the PATH train ($2.25 each way) and you're at Wall Street. Great, helpful staff will surely help you choose the best value and rooms for your party. Just returned from a great 4-night stay there and did not miss being in Manhattan at all, and loved the incredible night (and day) views of the City.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by slocouple
I would definitely not rule out the Hyatt Regency Jersey City. It's a nice property, lower redemption cost, great breakfast, beautiful views of the city. 4 minutes on the PATH train ($2.25 each way) and you're at Wall Street. Great, helpful staff will surely help you choose the best value and rooms for your party. Just returned from a great 4-night stay there and did not miss being in Manhattan at all, and loved the incredible night (and day) views of the City.
i would miss it... and 4 mins to wall st is still a far ways from bryant park area. i like to have a drink on a clear night on the jersey side facing manhattan, but never want to spend the night there.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 1:04 pm
Suspended

yes you are correct it's $75 per room at the Andaz 5th Ave. I always stay single here... everything I've ordered has been waived... same story at all Hyatt's I've stayed at except the hotels where the F&B is not owned by Hyatt.

Hyatt 48 LEX you only get $25 per person. The hotel has given me extra voucher, they can also be used for lunch and dinner.

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Is the Diamond breakfast not US 75 for the room (although in some cases they waive the extra?)
Old Jun 6, 2013, 1:11 pm
Suspended

For Jersey City... that is a BIG IF... I've stayed there a few times, the view is beautiful, but it becomes a hassle taking the PATH back and forth to Manhattan. At night the PATH runs less frequently and you may end up waiting 20 - 30 minutes for the train. Not fun when you are retuning after a night out on the town at 4:00 AM.

Jersey City is dead at night... it's like staying in the suburbs. I prefer to walk out the hotel front door and be in the city, that's not the case in Jersey City.

Originally Posted by slocouple
Old Jun 6, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Still wondering whether the room at Andaz 5th has an "exhibition" style bathroom but hopefully the website and/or pics will tell me.
Yes in the rooms I've had. Never had a suite there.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Andaz Wall Street is not at all what it was before Hurrican Sandy and the area is dead on weekends except for the hoards visiting the 9/11 site, but in defense of their breakfast, they give you the brunch menu on weekends what has some interesting lunch type choices.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
just a note: i really don't think you will be able to- nor would want to- get 4 adults in one room (even a suite). and if you only list 2 on the reservation, you will only get a diamond breakfast for 2 in the restaurant, and the lobby is fairly small so they would see that there are more than 2 to the room. I would book two base rooms. if you are limited on points, your best bet is to search individual night rates during the 5 days, book the cheapest nights with paid reservations and use your points on the other nights (a suite is 33,000 pts/nt, base room is 22,000 pts/nt, so for 5 nights, you would only have to pay for 2 rooms for 1 night (165k points for a suite for 5 nights, 176k points for 2 rooms for 4 nights).
Agree. It will be far too crowded and dampen your stay. Holidays are meant to be enjoyed so might as well go for 2 basic rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.