Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Union Square REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Union Square REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jun 22, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: spg platinum, hyatt diamond
Really a suite?

I am currently staying At the Hyatt Union Square. I used an upgrade award however I am not sure the room is quite a suite. The room is oddly partitioned, But definitely comfortable enough for two.

There is a rooftop terrace but no food or drinks. Open until sunset. Nice chairs.

Diamond breakfast was anything off the menu from The Fourth. Not bad.

Still a fan of Andaz but a great option for this location.

Here are some photos.

Old Jun 24, 2013, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What is the best subway station to reach the hotel or will the Airport Express shuttle vans drop you off here from LaGuardia (via Grand Central)?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
IF you're taking the NYC Airporter you will be dropped off at Grand Central. Take the 4,5, or 6 to Union Square, the hotel will be south of Union Square on 4th AVE and 13th Street.

Not sure how well you know NYC, from LGA I would take the M-60 bus to the Astoria Blvd. Subway Station, take the N or the Q to Union Square.... you can transfer from the bus to the subway total cost $2.50. When boarding at the Astoria station, this is at the beginning of the line, so plenty of seats, sit on the right side of the car, look toward the west, a nice view of the city will appear.

You can buy a metro card at LGA, bring $$ bills and change. I"ve never purchased on the bus. One recommendation while waiting for the M-60 if the bus is packed, wait.... another one will follow.

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
What is the best subway station to reach the hotel or will the Airport Express shuttle vans drop you off here from LaGuardia (via Grand Central)?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:09 am

Checked in here as a Diamond. Frontdesk said that I was upgraded to a Deluxe room, and that was a wee bit cramped. Guess you can't really complain in Manhattan, but I'm scared of how small a regular room is.

Room had a bunch of snacks and a minibar for a charge. Shower was very spacious, and the toiletries were nice (CO Bigelow). One thing that was absolutely maddening was the bathroom faucet. There is around 4" between the nozzle and the bottom of the sink; not enough room to wash both hands at the same time in your typical fashion. It may seem like a very small/petty thing, but it got very, very annoying.

They stopped allowing Diamond members to order whatever they want off the attached restaurant, which saddened me greatly since breakfast is my biggest meal. Now you get a $25 voucher per guest, which is good for about 1 hot item. You'll end up paying extra if you want a drink as well since all hot items are around $21 (then you add tax and tip on top of that).

Overall, I prefer the Grand Hyatt. Yes, the rooms are shabbier, but with the lounge, at least you can get non-alcoholic beverages whenever you want, and lots of snacks (not to mention breakfast) throughout the day. Plus the faucet isn't designed incompetently.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:17 am

I saw on Trip Advisor that some of the reviews mentioned noisy air condition that was turning on an off. Has anyone experienced that?

thanks
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Just completing a stay there and had a few issues with this property.

First of all, when I checked in at 10pm after a long flight from Athens, the desk clerk could not find my reservation. The first time it ever happened to me at a Hyatt since I am a GP member ( 1994 ).
She asked for my reservation number, which I never carry around, especially since I had checked the previous day on my GP account that all was in order.
She was perplexed and said the hotel was sold out.
I suggested we go on my GP account using their computer and here it was....
Supervisor comes to the rescue and ask for my patience, which is running thin at this time, after the long flight, the NYC tropical heat and me being very tired.
The hotel being sold out they offer to put me in a different hotel which I flat out refuse. Eventually they find a room, a pseudo Junior Suite, called Alcove Loft. Tiny for a suite indeed but ok for one person, however I would not pay the going rate for this room.
The A/C is very weak and it was extremely hot during the day. Decor is ok
Street noise bearable.
Then I had a problem with the safe, which would not open eventhough I dialed the correct code, security had to help me after a lengthy wait.
The other issue I had was with b'fast. Nice staff, helpful and pleasant, however the pace is very slow. It takes forever to have the menu, the order taken and even longer to get the food. When I finally got my eggs, they were overcooked, the sunny side up had turned into flattened hard boiled eggs. I complained to the manager, and she agreed. Offered not to bill me but I told her that being a Diamond member it did not matter since it was included.

All in all kudos to the staff, helpful, eager to please and friendly, but the rooms are overpriced for the size, the disappearing reservation is a major problem, the A/C is not working properly.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH, SEN, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Diamond Suite upgrade - which room

Im holding a booking in this Hotel for a late October, I was planning to use one of my Suite upgrades. Do I get it right that there is only two suite categories the Empyreal Suite and The Sanctuary Suite? So if one of these two are available they will book you into one of these suites?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by JunkDiver
Checked in here as a Diamond. Frontdesk said that I was upgraded to a Deluxe room, and that was a wee bit cramped. Guess you can't really complain in Manhattan, but I'm scared of how small a regular room is.

Room had a bunch of snacks and a minibar for a charge. Shower was very spacious, and the toiletries were nice (CO Bigelow). One thing that was absolutely maddening was the bathroom faucet. There is around 4" between the nozzle and the bottom of the sink; not enough room to wash both hands at the same time in your typical fashion. It may seem like a very small/petty thing, but it got very, very annoying.

They stopped allowing Diamond members to order whatever they want off the attached restaurant, which saddened me greatly since breakfast is my biggest meal. Now you get a $25 voucher per guest, which is good for about 1 hot item. You'll end up paying extra if you want a drink as well since all hot items are around $21 (then you add tax and tip on top of that).

Overall, I prefer the Grand Hyatt. Yes, the rooms are shabbier, but with the lounge, at least you can get non-alcoholic beverages whenever you want, and lots of snacks (not to mention breakfast) throughout the day. Plus the faucet isn't designed incompetently.
Diamond breakfast is now only $25 per pax? That's ridiculous!
I was about to book this hotel since 18K seems reasonable compared to current revenue prices of about $350.
Maybe I'll take the Andaz 5th then
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: CX Diamond / Hyatt Courtesy C./ Hertz
What a strange hotel.
I did not get any upgrade, very rare.
This morning at breakfast, I ordered a Continental that reads: tea/coffee - Juice - Croissant - Muffins - Homemade bread ...
I dont get bread. Ask for it and I'm told croissant is the homemade bread.
I read the menu again and start the negotiation for my bread.....
Success, I get bread...
The I realise I didnt get the jiuice either.
This one comes faster right after I declare it as MIA.
Then the bill come, they are chargin me continental + tea.
I have to have the tea removed.
Isnt it a nice way to start a working day in new York in a 300$/night place???

Next time back to Andaz, the spirit is totally different, in both of them.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:13 am

I did a review of the fitness center on my blog - Will Run For Miles. please visit there if you'd like to see more photos and commentary.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Just stayed here. Upgraded to a deluxe room, and I was generally quite impressed with the hotel.

There were internet problems, and no one seemed to know how to deal with them, but they made up for it at checkout.

Finally, as mentioned above, they give $25 for breakfast, which doesn't cover almost anything off the menu plus coffee plus tax and tip. So it's blatantly not compliant with HGP terms .
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SamOF
Finally, as mentioned above, they give $25 for breakfast, which doesn't cover almost anything off the menu plus coffee plus tax and tip. So it's blatantly not compliant with HGP terms .
Generally I solve this issue through booking for 2 people even if I'm by myself.

What exactly does Hyatt GP stipulate? Maybe the folks from GP Concierge can help us out here.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Generally I solve this issue through booking for 2 people even if I'm by myself.

What exactly does Hyatt GP stipulate? Maybe the folks from GP Concierge can help us out here.
Good call, but here we actually were 2 people .

The terms state:

In Hyatt hotels that do not have a Regency Club or Grand Club lounge, daily complimentary full breakfast inclusive of one entre (or standard breakfast buffet), juice and coffee (tax, gratuity and service charges included) will be provided to the member and each registered guest in the room, maximum four (4) people.
In this case, the cheapest entrees were $16-18, juice was $7, and coffee was $4. Add tax and tip, and we're close to $40 per person.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SamOF
Good call, but here we actually were 2 people .

The terms state:

In this case, the cheapest entrees were $16-18, juice was $7, and coffee was $4. Add tax and tip, and we're close to $40 per person.
I would shoot Hyatt an email about this. I can recall similar issues I had in the past involving some hotels charging Tax & Tip to the Guest (HR Irvine) and Hyatt got in touch with them after my report and 2 weeks later they had it fixed.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:59 pm

Any recommend Union Square over 48 Lex? I stayed at 48 Lex before and really enjoyed it except for the loud neighbors I had. I'll be using points for the two night stay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.