Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Does Hyatt have a policy on cleaning glasses and cups in hotel rooms?

Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:37 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

A few years back, there were several TV exposes showing maids cleaning glassware at sinks in guest rooms. Starwood subsequently came up with a policy that all glasses are to be hygenically cleaned.

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
The policy regarding this is both confidential and proprietary; however, the gist is that all glassware - including glass coffee carafes and cups - are to be washed in a dishwasher and, once cleaned, never again touched by ungloved hands with the understanding that the gloves being used will have never been used previously for any other purpose.
Does Hyatt have a similar policy?

I was surprised to be in my room in a Japanese Hyatt when it was cleaned and see all the dirty glasses and cups taken to the sink to be washed. Yet Japanese have a high focus on hygiene. Witness all those who go out in public with face masks. I have no desire to get anyone in trouble over their job, but I also think this is poor practice for a high end hotel.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 29, 2013, 2:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I guess that's how they clean cups and dishes in about 95% of the world..... what's the problem?
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by RTW1
I guess that's how they clean cups and dishes in about 95% of the world..... what's the problem?
I had never noticed whether the glasses were washed in the bathroom sink or replaced since I always wash the glasses myself before using anyway.

However, when it comes to hygiene, nothing is too clean and Hyatt's policy should be the same as Starwood's.

It's true that this is the way they do it in 95% of the world, but it doesn't necesssarily mean the system cannot be improved.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If you really think housekeeping is handling all glassware with (never to be used again) gloves you must be kidding......
And yes there is a thing as too clean. It's simply not useful, drives up prices and makes people stupid. How many things do you have contact with during the day that were touched by a non-gloved hand.....

How about a beer in a pub, see the barman handle those glasses with gloves? That must be the reason you are feeling so bad the next day :-).
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If only people knew what goes on behind the scenes, they would never stay in hotels or eat in restaurants. And, that's for the nice people. Think about the known poor tippers and what happens to them.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by Often1:20504046
If only people knew what goes on behind the scenes, they would never stay in hotels or eat in restaurants. And, that's for the nice people. Think about the known poor tippers and what happens to them.
clearly nothing too terrible as they're not dropping dead in droves.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by RTW1
How about a beer in a pub, see the barman handle those glasses with gloves? That must be the reason you are feeling so bad the next day :-).
Pubs are even worse, cause they dunk your glass into a vat of water that they've already dunked 100s of glasses in.... of course, the alcohol may kill some of those germs.

I think posts like this are the reason its nearly impossible to satisfy all customers 100% of the time... clearly some people's expectations are a significant number of standard deviations from normal.

If you're really THAT worried about this stuff... one of your 3 oz containers should be bleach so you can hose everything down with a little spritz of it.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Relax, drink a bottled water and worry about what the cook is doing to your food.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:47 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
A few years back, there were several TV exposes showing maids cleaning glassware at sinks in guest rooms. Starwood subsequently came up with a policy that all glasses are to be hygenically cleaned.

Does Hyatt have a similar policy?

I was surprised to be in my room in a Japanese Hyatt when it was cleaned and see all the dirty glasses and cups taken to the sink to be washed. Yet Japanese have a high focus on hygiene. Witness all those who go out in public with face masks. I have no desire to get anyone in trouble over their job, but I also think this is poor practice for a high end hotel.

Thoughts?
It is clearly not best practice, although if the water is very hot to the touch it should be sufficient (my old Peace Corps training is coming in here). Sure hope it wasn't the PHT!

Incidentally, I don't think the face masks are worn for hygiene reasons in Japan, it is usually done because many Japanese think it will lessen the effect of their pollen allergies.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
It is clearly not best practice, although if the water is very hot to the touch it should be sufficient (my old Peace Corps training is coming in here). Sure hope it wasn't the PHT!

Incidentally, I don't think the face masks are worn for hygiene reasons in Japan, it is usually done because many Japanese think it will lessen the effect of their pollen allergies.
In addition to the belief that the face masks will lessen the effect of pollen allergies, the masks are sometimes warn because people (perhaps erroneously) believe that they will prevent the spread of the common cold or flu viruses. They also are used by people who want to hide their faces.

I am very surprised to hear that glassware was washed in this manner at a Japanese Hyatt. It would be even more disturbing if this is the way these items are cleaned for the next occupant after guests check-out.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by kanerf
Relax, drink a bottled water and worry about what the cook is doing to your food.
And that won't help either .

If people could track what happens to every piece of food in restaurants they would probably never eat out again. Luckily the human immune system is adequately equipped to deal with most of these unwanted pathogens so worrying about it is pointless. You would do better to worry that you stay and live a healthy life!
Old Mar 31, 2013, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by crystak
And that won't help either .

If people could track what happens to every piece of food in restaurants they would probably never eat out again. Luckily the human immune system is adequately equipped to deal with most of these unwanted pathogens so worrying about it is pointless. You would do better to worry that you stay and live a healthy life!

this isn't about restaurants. This is about expecting a sanitized glass in your room. I think it's a reasonable expectation that the glasses are machine washed at proper temps and procedures for a commercial operation.

Precisely because of this, I tend not to use the glasses in hotel rooms, regardless of the property. I use the water bottle, or paper or plastic cups if I must. Hyatt's in the US all have paper coffee cups in the room.

-David
Old Mar 31, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, AA 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
If this is OCD, then guilty: Since the round of spy-cam reports that SanDiego1K refers to, if I don't see a cart with a rack of dishwasher-cleaned glasses and mugs, I stick with the paper or plastic cups that most rooms have for coffee and tea. I don't wish for white glove handling, and I know how these cups have to be handled to separate them, but I feel better doing it this way when I can. I appreciate the individually-wrapped cups that nearly all non-high-end hotels provide. It's ironic that the individually-wrapped cups don't meet the standards of the high-end hotels.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:39 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Firewind
if I don't see a cart with a rack of dishwasher-cleaned glasses and mugs, I stick with the paper or plastic cups that most rooms have for coffee and tea.
Sadly, I think you are right. I've also come to assume that if I don't see a rack of clean glasses in the hallway when housekeeping comes, the glasses are probably being washed in the room (and probably not to the standard most would prefer).
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
I can't believe the OP would expect clean classes in their room. Take about being a DYKWIA.

Last edited by justforfun; Mar 31, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.