Best Dulles Hyatt Place?

Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, WN CP
Best Dulles Hyatt Place?

I'll be in DC for a conference at National Harbor in May with my wife and newborn. We're staying a couple extra nights after the conference to do touristy things, including the air and space museum at Dulles. Any opinion as to the best of the 3 Dulles Hyatt Places?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Are the extra days over a weekend (Thurs-Sun night) or during the middle of the week? If you're paying for a weekend stay, I would go with the cheapest one. If you're using points for a weekday stay, I would recommend the HP Dulles East. That property is the closest to the Air & Space Museum, and they run a hotel shuttle there. The hotel has washing & drying machines for $1 a load. I make this recommendation assuming that you have access to a car so you can leave the hotel to eat. Otherwise, you'll be dependent on the hotel shuttle to drop you off within 3 miles for food. There is a large strip mall about a mile away from the hotel with a lot of restaurants and a grocery store.

The HP Dulles South is located in a small strip center with a few restaurants. I have had a few stays here, and they were fine. I have not stayed at the HP Dulles North.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Extra time is Sun and Mon night. We'll have a car for that time. Thanks for the advice.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by VA1379
Are the extra days over a weekend (Thurs-Sun night) or during the middle of the week? If you're paying for a weekend stay, I would go with the cheapest one. If you're using points for a weekday stay, I would recommend the HP Dulles East. That property is the closest to the Air & Space Museum, and they run a hotel shuttle there. The hotel has washing & drying machines for $1 a load. I make this recommendation assuming that you have access to a car so you can leave the hotel to eat. Otherwise, you'll be dependent on the hotel shuttle to drop you off within 3 miles for food. There is a large strip mall about a mile away from the hotel with a lot of restaurants and a grocery store.

The HP Dulles South is located in a small strip center with a few restaurants. I have had a few stays here, and they were fine. I have not stayed at the HP Dulles North.
I would pick the HP Dulles East as well ^.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 6:35 pm

While each is really very good, I agree that my preference would be East, South, North. East is owned by the same people as the Sheraton next door and, unless it's been changed, you are permitted to use the Sheraton pool. It's also the newest of the three, though none are all that old. South, as someone said, is next to a couple of strip malls that have some nice dining options within a short walk. North and East are a little more isolated. FWIW, on weekends the Regency Dulles and Hyatt Fair Lakes are often had for good prices. The Dulles is down the street from the HP East. The Fair Lakes (which I have a soft spot for) is a bit older but in a great location next to a number of malls. I have always been well cared for there.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
For a paid weekend stay, I would pick Hyatt Dulles over Fair Lakes due to the nicer rooms, free business center (no free printing at Fair Lakes), better breakfast (smoked salmon in Dulles breakfast buffet), and a superior gym with more weight machines. Fair Lakes is in a more central location, but their weekend room rates have gone up lately to 98 for AAA (about 18-27 more than Dulles). That is not much less than HR Reston at 107 + 8 for self parking, but Reston has a club lounge that is closed on weekends so diamond members get an extra 2500 points. I would also consider Hyatt House in Sterling since they have a good breakfast and are close to a Wegmans, an awesome grocery store chain. Fair Lakes isn't far away from another Wegmans either.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably go with the Hyatt Place Dulles East. I want to stick with a category 1 hotel and burn some points.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
The HP Dulles East was built as a HP, whereas the other two were converted AmeriSuites. It is a fine hotel, but the North property is closer to more dining and shopping venues. HOWEVER, the Hyatt House Dulles Sterling (which used to be a Sierra Suites) is really quite nice. The rooms are nicely designed inside (kind of like the new Residence Inns). The lobby looks like a full servcie hotel lobby. But the breakfast is what is nice about it. It is a real buffet with lots of options (including hot items like pancakes and bacon). There's even an omlet station.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
How do we tell the properties apart since there are two sterlings?

Right now I'm booked into the HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
45520 Dulles Plaza for $76.

The Hyatt Place Sterling/Dulles Airport-North 21481 Ridgetop Circle is $68.

The Hyatt Place Chantilly/Dulles Airport-South is $71.

Can anyone help me figure out which is the best to stay in as a Diamond this saturday? I'm arriving at 7a on the redeye so early check in would be sweet!
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:37 pm

The Hyatt House has the best breakfast with made to order omelettes. You should let the hotel know that you would like an early check in. For a weekend stay, you should be okay. The occupancy rate during the week is a lot higher, and you'd be unable to check in that early.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.