Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt vs. Park Hyatt in Tokyo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt vs. Park Hyatt in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by suite2suite
I agree with you but TrojanHorse might look at the convenience of traveling light by leaving the heavy luggage at the GH.
You are quite correct

the other part of sticking with the GH was that it has award availability at the club lounge level which the PH doesn't. What I don't know is if its worth it. I have the points to burn so I did it anyway.

the difference if I went to the PH would be 3K points per night. 33K at the GH (CL access) vs. 30K per night at the PH (no CL access) - remember i have zippo for status.

I thought you wrote that the dummy booking allowed all 3 of you to stay in one room....!

Just curious.
I did book 3 (1A 2K) in one room, I have four nights in one room, go to Hiroshima, come back and have four more nights in one room, sorry I guess that didn't come out too clear on my part

Originally Posted by RTW1
Quite easy to have luggage transferred between the properties.... and it beats being in the same area for 8 days (which in my opinion is way too long for a first visit, even in a nice property like the GH).
How would one do this? and would the 2nd property, allow me to drop our luggage off before going to Hiroshima if we have a reservation when we return?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Transfers of luggage are a fairly standard deal in Japan, the hotel normally handles it and it's cheap (compared to other countries).

And why limit yourself to the PH, the HR is a decent hotel for less than half the points.... I like the location of the GH but probably not for spending 8 nights. If you only let your points dictate where you can go it will probably end up less than what it could have been.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Transfers of luggage are a fairly standard deal in Japan, the hotel normally handles it and it's cheap (compared to other countries).

And why limit yourself to the PH, the HR is a decent hotel for less than half the points.... I like the location of the GH but probably not for spending 8 nights. If you only let your points dictate where you can go it will probably end up less than what it could have been.
No idea about the cost of luggage transfer. I usually drop mine by taxi on the way to the airport and the luggage is in the room waiting by the time I check-in.

The HR "is a decent hotel" and the best use of points.
I didn't bring it up because the question was PH or GH, but HR and GH would have been my choice though I don't know if the dummy booking would have allowed 3 in the room.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
How would one do this? and would the 2nd property, allow me to drop our luggage off before going to Hiroshima if we have a reservation when we return?
Front desk/Concierge will coordinate with the 2nd property for you to drop your luggage by taxi on the day of departure to the train station or they'll take care of it for you.
Yes, the 2nd property will take your luggage and hold it for you if you have a reservation. They probably will have it waiting in the room when you return.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 7:54 am

No idea about the cost of luggage transfer. I usually drop mine by taxi on the way to the airport and the luggage is in the room waiting by the time I check-in.

The HR "is a decent hotel" and the best use of points.
I didn't bring it up because the question was PH or GH, but HR and GH would have been my choice though I don't know if the dummy booking would have allowed 3 in the room.
Why would you select the HR again over the GH (I'm really not considering the PH at this point in time)? Remember I have zero status

Front desk/Concierge will coordinate with the 2nd property for you to drop your luggage by taxi on the day of departure to the train station or they'll take care of it for you.
Yes, the 2nd property will take your luggage and hold it for you if you have a reservation. They probably will have it waiting in the room when you return.
Right now I'm at the GH for 4, HIJ, GH for last 4 so I should be able to leave my luggage there and just take the small bag on the train to HIJ.

Although I'm not stone cold locked on this plan yet, I'd like to hear why suite2suite would take the HR over the GH

thanks all
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Because the HR is normally half the price of the GH, and 8 nights in the same location is (way) too much....
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:44 pm

Because the HR is normally half the price of the GH, and 8 nights in the same location is (way) too much....
exactly plus the HR is in Shinjuku and the GH is in Roppongi. It makes it easier to explore both neighborhoods.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:54 am

exactly plus the HR is in Shinjuku and the GH is in Roppongi. It makes it easier to explore both neighborhoods.
While I'll post a complete review later, I wanted to say I'm very pleased with the GH

I will say that I did the ultimate bonehead move when we took the airport limo bus from NRT. I got the one for the HR (not the GH) and didn't realize it until I was talking to the FDC who couldn't find my reservation

So I took a cab to the GH (Y2600)

lets just chalk that up to a long day

GH gave me no issues with 1A 2K in one room. The room is plenty large enough. Club lounge BF was fantastic in my opinion.

At the pool now and I'm baffled at how many people are here right now.. I'm actually just watching them (I have to I guess) and playing on FT

One question - how do they distinguish who gets into the Grand Club?

Its open, there are two or three staff members there of which one or two are always by the door but no one has ever asked me my room number? There isn't a key required for the GC floor either?

Last edited by TrojanHorse; Aug 11, 2014 at 1:10 am
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

While I'll post a complete review later, I wanted to say I'm very pleased with the GH

I will say that I did the ultimate bonehead move when we took the airport limo bus from NRT. I got the one for the HR (not the GH) and didn't realize it until I was talking to the FDC who couldn't find my reservation

So I took a cab to the GH (Y2600)

lets just chalk that up to a long day

GH gave me no issues with 1A 2K in one room. The room is plenty large enough. Club lounge BF was fantastic in my opinion.

At the pool now and I'm baffled at how many people are here right now.. I'm actually just watching them (I have to I guess) and playing on FT

One question - how do they distinguish who gets into the Grand Club?

Its open, there are two or three staff members there of which one or two are always by the door but no one has ever asked me my room number? There isn't a key required for the GC floor either?
It's summer vacation time in Japan so that's why Nagomi pool and spa look more like a waterpark than 5 star hotel pool. Is the Grand Club busier than usual? They usually ask your room number if you're not a regular.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:39 pm

At the risk of getting burned at the stake, I gotta say, I was not all that impressed with the Park Hyatt Tokyo.

I haven't been the to grand hyatt so I can't compare but the Park Hyatt just seemed out of the way location wise and kinda sterile. It was of course as everyone remarks very fancy and the views were out of this world but stuffy would be an understatement. Even the hyatt regency in Hakone has far more personalized service. Unless you're looking to stay in a pretty library, I'd check out the Grand Hyatt.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:07 pm

I've not been asked once my name or room number

I haven't found the lounge crowded at all

I have not been to the Park Hyatt but I think the Grand Hyatt this just a fantastic properly

I do love this place
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bsaced
At the risk of getting burned at the stake, I gotta say, I was not all that impressed with the Park Hyatt Tokyo.

I haven't been the to grand hyatt so I can't compare but the Park Hyatt just seemed out of the way location wise and kinda sterile. It was of course as everyone remarks very fancy and the views were out of this world but stuffy would be an understatement. Even the hyatt regency in Hakone has far more personalized service. Unless you're looking to stay in a pretty library, I'd check out the Grand Hyatt.
The hallways do give that vibe with the numerous locked up books haha.

I guess I will be joining you at the stake because everytime I've stayed there I just felt like a number. Just a plain hotel guest with very little Diamond recognition and even name recognition. If luxury is personal for Park Hyatts then my experience was just very impersonal. Everyone's experiences will vary and I understand that. Just my two cents.

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 11, 2014 at 7:50 pm
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
The hallways do give that vibe with the numerous locked up books haha.

I guess I will be joining you at the stake because everytime I've stayed there I just felt like a number. Just a plain hotel guest with very little Diamond recognition and even name recognition. If luxury is personal for Park Hyatts then my experience was just very impersonal. Everyone's experiences will vary and I understand that. Just my two cents.
Those books actually can be taken out during your stay if you like.

PH Tokyo used to be an exceptional hotel, but economic downturn and tough competition from newer properties have been factors in the decline of service quality. It is still a very acceptable hotel and the views of course have not changed, but sadly it is not what it once was.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Those books actually can be taken out during your stay if you like.

PH Tokyo used to be an exceptional hotel, but economic downturn and tough competition from newer properties have been factors in the decline of service quality. It is still a very acceptable hotel and the views of course have not changed, but sadly it is not what it once was.
See this is what I laugh at

when the business blames the economy and competition as the reason for the "decline" in their service

Never should that be the answer. Competition should not make your service decline. if you do what you always do then your service has not declined.

Even when the economy tanks, you may not be able to offer as much but your service should still be impeccable.

I hate those answers as its really a lame excuse

I'm not ragging on the poster above, just businesses as usual who use this excuse
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:44 am

See this is what I laugh at

when the business blames the economy and competition as the reason for the "decline" in their service

Never should that be the answer. Competition should not make your service decline. if you do what you always do then your service has not declined.

Even when the economy tanks, you may not be able to offer as much but your service should still be impeccable.

I hate those answers as its really a lame excuse

I'm not ragging on the poster above, just businesses as usual who use this excuse
I completely agree that there is no excuse for bad service, but the reality is that the hotel cannot maintain the same level of staffing, maintenance, and F&B quality that it once had at the current ADR they are able to charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.