Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Diamond Suite Upgrade Denied Despite Available Inventory

Old Feb 3, 2013, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Fairmont PC Plat

Just called Gold Passport Diamond line to use one of my 2/28/2013 expiring Diamond Suite Upgrade Certificates to an existing reservation I have. Everything was fine and dandy (availability for the entry suite was clearly open on the website, and the agent confirmed). When the agent called the hotel to block the suite, the hotel manager on duty denied the agent, saying that despite there was availability for the standard suite upgrade, it was the last one in their inventory of that category, and that they had the discretion to deny the application of the Diamond Suite Upgrade Certificate.

Is it just me, or is this completely contrary to what the Terms & Conditions state? The agent was very apologetic, and tried to argue on my behalf to the hotel, but they wouldn't relent. I would very much appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this issue.

Is this a special case with a stingy manager gone rogue, or a sign of using selective discretion to deny Diamond members what they are entitled to per the Terms & Conditions?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
call Customer service back and ask for supervisor.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, United Premier Silver, US Airways Silver
The D.S.U. certificates have increasingly lost their pull and value - I have gotten turned down for them so often that I use only about one per year now. I consider them almost meaningless.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:21 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; DROID RAZR 4G Build/6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I disagree. I rarely have issues using them. I used three at one hotel in Japan for three rooms i booked with no issues. In San Diego i used one for a two day reservation, which was followed by a five day reservation where the hotel was totally booked due to a major event, and they kept me in a very nice suite the whole week.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:13 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I don't think the T&Cs call for acceptance of the cert as long as there is a suite in inventory, I believe that it is some portion of the entry suites at the properties are available for the cert upgrades - this can change close to the night of the stay.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peteropny
I don't think the T&Cs call for acceptance of the cert as long as there is a suite in inventory, I believe that it is some portion of the entry suites at the properties are available for the cert upgrades - this can change close to the night of the stay.

Thanks peteropny! The T&C actually aren't clear regarding this, but they certainly don't include language that says the hotel has discretion to arbitrarily decide based on remaining entry suite inventory...

In any case, I received a follow up call just now saying that the agent was able to book me the suite!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by doodley
Just called Gold Passport Diamond line to use one of my 2/28/2013 expiring Diamond Suite Upgrade Certificates to an existing reservation I have. Everything was fine and dandy (availability for the entry suite was clearly open on the website, and the agent confirmed). When the agent called the hotel to block the suite, the hotel manager on duty denied the agent, saying that despite there was availability for the standard suite upgrade, it was the last one in their inventory of that category, and that they had the discretion to deny the application of the Diamond Suite Upgrade Certificate.

Is it just me, or is this completely contrary to what the Terms & Conditions state? The agent was very apologetic, and tried to argue on my behalf to the hotel, but they wouldn't relent. I would very much appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this issue.

Is this a special case with a stingy manager gone rogue, or a sign of using selective discretion to deny Diamond members what they are entitled to per the Terms & Conditions?
It's pretty simple - if you don't name the property, we can't pull our business. They have no place to treat loyal Hyatt guests so rudely - that a paying Diamond-level guest is worth less than a prospective guest off the street that hasn't booked
Old Feb 4, 2013, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by 4aks
It's pretty simple - if you don't name the property, we can't pull our business. They have no place to treat loyal Hyatt guests so rudely - that a paying Diamond-level guest is worth less than a prospective guest off the street that hasn't booked
Hotels don't get reimbursed by Hyatt for Diamond suite upgrade cert usage. I do get the hotels point of view, wouldn't you do the same?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
If peteropny is correct in saying that properties are allowed to withhold suite inventory from diamond cert usage, that's just license for properties to deny diamond certs pretty much at will. In any case, it's the first I've heard of such an exception.

Otherwise, this situation is yet another clear example of how HGP is unable to effectively manage its properties to comply with stated program benefits.

Originally Posted by holtju2
Hotels don't get reimbursed by Hyatt for Diamond suite upgrade cert usage. I do get the hotels point of view, wouldn't you do the same?
Either a hotel is a Hyatt and it's a member of HGP and obligated to provide elite benefits, or it's not a Hyatt and loses out on loyalty stays from HGP members. Period. Properties can't have it both ways. They cannot simply pick and choose at what times they want to be a Hyatt and involved in HGP at their convenience and to their benefit.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:33 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by ThomasBne; Apr 19, 2018 at 11:03 am
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 4aks
This was the Grand Hyatt SF. Even worse, I've stayed at this property on paid stays a half dozen times previously (paying on average $300+ per night, including incidentals). Gold Passport should make the T&C clearer for these fringe cases - it's written currently as shades of gray, rather than black and white
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
If the Grand Suite, Park Suite, Regency Suite etc (which is the correct category for these upgrades) is in the inventory and the hotel denies the use you can bet I would request a compensation followed by my cancellation of the stay.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by holtju2
Hyatt has to come up with a compensation scheme for the hotels that make it worthwhile to them. Expecting the hotels to accommodate the guest in a suite ahead of time and therefore losing the ability to sell this suite without being compensated for it is just wrong.

But this is Hyatt's internal and very own issue. They can't make this the problem of the Diamond guest who has these benefits in ink.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:37 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, HGP ♦; former elite in Hilton, Marriott & DL (just under MM thanks to Leo)
This was the Grand Hyatt SF. Even worse, I've stayed at this property on paid stays a half dozen times previously (paying on average $300+ per night, including incidentals). Gold Passport should make the T&C clearer for these fringe cases - it's written currently as shades of gray, rather than black and white
No surprise for me. I wrote about my experience on the FT GH SF review thread about my confimed DSU being poorly handled and ultimately not being delivered. Worse is that I showed up and they made me feel like a thief for demanding a great entry level suite and paying for a cheap room under AAA promo. DYKWIA!!! indeed. lol

Well, bottom line was I felt they dislike the whole DSU program and prefer the diamonds just pay for what they want. I contacted Hyatt Consumer Affairs while in-house, and they will argue your case for you, but ultimately HGP can only throw points at you when you are right and a hotel does not want your business. Gotcha, ok then. Next SF visit, I'll try the HR or Marriott or Hilton...
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
This is where I lose you - I spend ~2 suite upgrades at the GH SF every year (in fact Im doing so in 2 weeks at that property). I've never found any issues what so ever burning suite upgrades here - long term planned stays or stays a few weeks out. Also, I think my current stay is 145/night for 7 nights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.