Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Los Angeles/LAX/El Segundo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:51 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
One more very satisfied guest here. I checked in at 11pm after a flight from the East Coast. The guy at the desk cheerfully offered me a choice between the standard 500-point Diamond amenity or a free drink at the bar. I said, "I don't think I could survive a drink, but could I possibly get a snack instead?" He immediately offered anything off the cafe menu, and while I was pondering, said, "Here, I'll just give you both."

So I ended up with 500 points and a badly needed chicken quesadilla delivered to my room (complimentary) 10 minutes later. It really stood out as some of the best, most above-and-beyond service (considering that HP isn't full-service) that I've received in the last year or so. Hyatt is doing a great job nailing down my loyalty this year!

Oh... and I'll echo other posters' comments in saying that the rooms and common areas are nice -- not outrageously so, but above the HP standard. Definitely a hotel I'll look forward to visiting again.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:54 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by QBK
So I ended up with 500 points and a badly needed chicken quesadilla delivered to my room (complimentary) 10 minutes later.
I'd be curious to know if the points actually post. I was in a similar situation recently but the points did NOT post. I contacted GP customer service and the points posted soon after.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:26 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
I'd be curious to know if the points actually post. I was in a similar situation recently but the points did NOT post. I contacted GP customer service and the points posted soon after.
The points posted within 24 hours, on my room line (rather than a separate bonus line).

I get the impression that points-posting issues are often random omissions rather than a systematic problem -- but so far Hyatt has been prompt, thorough, and generous for me!
Old Mar 3, 2013, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by jcwik
It certainly is convenient to LAX. The shuttle driver, Mike, was great too. I really enjoyed staying there. I think they will work out the minor kinks from being so new. As far as leaving a car, my rental car actually sat there for 4 days with no problem. I never had to give my license number when I checked in.
Yes, the shuttle driver Mike is great. Very funny guy and he gave me a good
recommendation for Mexican food nearby ^. Im posting from this property
at the moment and enjoying my stay so far.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
was looking at staying here during my June trip. price is 30% or so more than many equivalent properties.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:15 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion & Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Club

Had one night stay here last weekend. Property/rooms are very nice, as should be expected for a brand new hotel. I thought the staff at the HP Waikiki (which I stayed at 1 mo earlier) were much friendlier.

The breakfast area was perhaps the most disgusting I've ever been to. They seem to be understaffed in this area as we came down around 9:30 and there were plenty of open spots, however, many of the juices, etc were not replenished for quite some time. They also allowed all of the dishes to pile up without periodically removing them which was quite disgusting. Floor was sticky after a spill and not cleaned up. Not very impressive for a brand new hotel.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I find that weekend stays at HP's are usually very busy at breakfast. Many families use the properties over the weekends, and while I would be admonished by my parents for making a mess and not cleaning up, alas it is not so any more. I see families eat and then get up and leave without clearing their space or throwing anything away. I guess they need great big signs like some of us have at the office break room, ie, "We are not your mother, clean up after yourself!".
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lucjos0224
Had one night stay here last weekend. Property/rooms are very nice, as should be expected for a brand new hotel. I thought the staff at the HP Waikiki (which I stayed at 1 mo earlier) were much friendlier.

The breakfast area was perhaps the most disgusting I've ever been to. They seem to be understaffed in this area as we came down around 9:30 and there were plenty of open spots, however, many of the juices, etc were not replenished for quite some time. They also allowed all of the dishes to pile up without periodically removing them which was quite disgusting. Floor was sticky after a spill and not cleaned up. Not very impressive for a brand new hotel.
I was there last weekend and it was a complete madhouse for breakfast, and the hotel itself didn't even seem that busy (other than at breakfast). They were out of oatmeal the entire time we were down there (20 - 30 minutes) and definitely didn't seemed prepared for the hungry masses.

Originally Posted by kanerf
I find that weekend stays at HP's are usually very busy at breakfast. Many families use the properties over the weekends, and while I would be admonished by my parents for making a mess and not cleaning up, alas it is not so any more. I see families eat and then get up and leave without clearing their space or throwing anything away. I guess they need great big signs like some of us have at the office break room, ie, "We are not your mother, clean up after yourself!".
You raise a good point - who is supposed to clean up the tables at the Hyatt Kitchen? I rarely stay at Hyatt Places and when I do I generally avoid the breakfast. So when I finished my first breakfast at a Hyatt Place in over a year last weekend, I asked the lady working the breakfast area do we bus our own tables or just leave our plates for them to bus, and she said to just leave them on our table and she'd get them (and based on her response I left a tip for her). Was she just being nice and is this not the norm?

Even though the Hyatt Place at LAX is by far the nicest Hyatt Place I've stayed at, every time I stay at a Hyatt Place (or Hyatt House) I end up regretting it. The benefits to Diamond guests are so minimal (500 points, no upgrade, and everyone already gets free breakfast and wifi) and the breakfast is such an unpleasant experience that I wish I had gone a little out of my way to stay at a full service Hyatt. I'll still probably stay at the Hyatt Place LAX for early morning flights, but probably just get breakfast at the airport.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 5:27 pm

Back for another one night stay here tonight . This time I was given a
quiet corner room overlooking the pool. We shall see about breakfast
tomorrow as I have yet to experience it on a weekend.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 1:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Nice pics... this is what I though the HP NYC Midtown was going to look like.... unfortunately the rooms in midtown resemble the old Hyatt Place (generation 1). Would have been nice if Hyatt went this route, the rooms at LAX look far more cozier, not so motel budget type.

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy

Sorry for the delay. Pix are a little dark, but you get the idea.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Have now stayed here twice due to flight connection issues. New build, but done in the silver/grey tones being used in full-serve remodels. Quiet, including the HVAC. Bedding outstanding. Shuttle service in their own a bit too small van between the hotel and the madness that is the LAX Courtesy Pickup lanes. Breakfast starts too late for the first bank of flights. You could do way worse for a layover.

Last edited by jayer; May 7, 2013 at 8:31 pm
Old Apr 26, 2013, 7:32 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Had a quick stay here last month and was pleased overall. First "new build" HP I've stayed at and I really enjoyed the large room and shower-only bathroom configuration. The bathroom-at-front layout avoids the ridiculous closet situation in the former Amerisuites properties.

Downsides:
Shuttle ends at 11:30, so for late arrivals, you'll have to take a taxi and pay the minimum charge of $19. Cabby was none too happy to be sent on a minimum charge trip despite the meter reading less than $9.
Breakfast was a zoo. There was only one staff member whose responsibilities included removing dishes, cleaning tables, and restocking food. She couldn't keep up with any of them, which meant dirty dishes stacked dozens high and empty food service trays nearly the whole time I was there.

Still seemed to be priced about 30% higher than other competing limited-service properties, but for a brand-spanking new property with a spacious room and disregarding the taxi fare, I found it worth it.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by jayer
Have now stayed here twice due to flight connection issues. New build, but done in the silver/grey tones being used in full-serves remodels. Quiet, including the HVAC. Bedding outstanding. Shuttle service in their own a bit too small van between the hotel and the madness tht is the LAX Courtesy Pickup lanes. Breakfast starts too late for the first bank of flights. You could do way worse for a layover.
Agree about the shuttle issue. Seems like there can be a delay between the FD agent and
driver when requesting an airport pick up. I once waited close to one hour for a ride to the
hotel. Otherwise, I still enjoy this HP very much. Staff are friendly and like the secluded
shopping center down the block from the hotel ^.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by mr27
Staff are friendly and like the secluded
shopping center down the block from the hotel ^.
Which direction? We walked around but missed that.

Not that I know my way around LA mass transit, but there is a light rail stop not very far away. May try sightseeing from the place someday.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by jayer
Which direction? We walked around but missed that.

Not that I know my way around LA mass transit, but there is a light rail stop not very far away. May try sightseeing from the place someday.
This would be east on Maple Avenue. Walk out the front door, turn right and then another
right. You'll find some eateries to the left about a block away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.