Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

does Hyatt discount 2nd room for kids?

does Hyatt discount 2nd room for kids?

Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:26 am

What I meant was, I see no valid reason to offer a price this way to a family booking two rooms for 2 adults and 2 kids, but not to someone like me, who for example is doing the travel planning for family and/or friends and books 3 rooms for 6 adults, or 2 rooms for 4 adults (both of which I have done many many times and always involve a room for me). I bring the business to whatever hotel I choose, since I am making the decision. To me it is no different than someone with two kids...we both take two rooms. If I asked for a discount on the second room, I would get laughed at...hell, asking for Diamond benefits to be extended to the second room is rough enough. I am still bringing business that would be taken elsewhere etc. If I could just get a stay/room credit for all rooms that I pay for, that would be enough reward to me for bringing all that revenue to the chain (Hyatt in this case).
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by antonius66
What I meant was, I see no valid reason to offer a price this way to a family booking two rooms for 2 adults and 2 kids, but not to someone like me, who for example is doing the travel planning for family and/or friends and books 3 rooms for 6 adults, or 2 rooms for 4 adults (both of which I have done many many times and always involve a room for me). I bring the business to whatever hotel I choose, since I am making the decision. To me it is no different than someone with two kids...we both take two rooms. If I asked for a discount on the second room, I would get laughed at...hell, asking for Diamond benefits to be extended to the second room is rough enough. I am still bringing business that would be taken elsewhere etc. If I could just get a stay/room credit for all rooms that I pay for, that would be enough reward to me for bringing all that revenue to the chain (Hyatt in this case).
I understood what you meant. It seems that Hyatt has determined that selectively discounting to families with young children in this case increases revenue. Of course, if Hyatt offered a published discount to anyone booking multiple rooms they would be leaving cash on the table by discounting to people who otherwise would have paid higher rates. Hotel companies sell the same product (rooms) to different groups of people at different rates all the time through corporate rates, third party websites, opaque channels, senior rates, third night free promotions, advanced purchase rates, award nights, etc... The reason for these pricing strategies is to maximize revenue.

If you need to book multiple rooms at a property it may be possible to negotiate a bit, but the reasons for not offering a published multi-room discount are quite obvious.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:39 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; DROID RAZR 4G Build/6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I understand and agree with all of that. I just simply don't see discounting to families being any more intelligent or viable than any other multi-room discount.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; DROID RAZR 4G Build/6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I understand and agree with all of that. I just simply don't see discounting to families being any more intelligent or viable than any other multi-room discount.
As I already noted, with kids booking a second room is not a requirement or necessity - we can vet by in one room. By discounting another room Hyatt gives me an incentive to spend more.
If on the other hand I have to book accommodations for four adults I have to book two room - it's not optional.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:49 pm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_discrimination

Hotels and other travel industry providers offer their products at different prices to different customer segments to increase revenue while minimizing deadweight loss. For this to work efficiently price fences (eligibility requirements for discounts) are put in place.

Because families traveling for leisure tend to be more price sensitive than business travelers, a discount like this offers families booking multiple rooms more enticing rates. Business travelers and other segments of customers that are generally less price sensitive will continue to pay higer rates because they do not meet the requirements for the discount.

Price discrimination is also the reason that discounts like these are not widely advertised. Even within the same customer segment, some families that are less price sensitive will simply book two rooms at a higher rate, while others who are more price sensitive will dig and find discounts like this on the website (even though I knew about this offer I had to search quite a bit to find it on Hyatt's website).
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: QF PL (OW Emerald) Lifetime Gold; HGP Explorist; SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
This is my understanding. IIRC the primary room is charged at the daily rate.
I have recently booked a couple of stays using the family rate for the second room. In both instances, the principal room was booked at a corporate discounted rate.

The only requirement from the properties was that there be no one in the second room over the age of 12.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dtm1
I have recently booked a couple of stays using the family rate for the second room. In both instances, the principal room was booked at a corporate discounted rate.

The only requirement from the properties was that there be no one in the second room over the age of 12.
I hope these are connecting room. Otherwise it sounds unsafe for kids.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtm1

now that i think of it - iirc the rate was even combinable with award nights (one room on award second on 50% off bar)..
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hope these are connecting room. Otherwise it sounds unsafe for kids.
When I booked our rooms, the reservation agent asked about the ages of the children, then she asked if we wanted connecting rooms...

FYI, I was able to use govt rate for the first room.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: QF PL (OW Emerald) Lifetime Gold; HGP Explorist; SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by azepine00
now that i think of it - iirc the rate was even combinable with award nights (one room on award second on 50% off bar)..
Yes, I did that as well a couple of years ago when I was short on points for 2 rooms for a week's stay - we simply paid the 50% discount on the kids' room for 2 nights and the rest of the stay was on points.

And yes (to the earlier poster), of course the rooms are interconnecting !!!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:20 am

Apologies for revisiting this old thread.

Is this discount available at any stage? I.e. I would book one room as a diamond, check in, see what they give me and if it's sufficient for the family fine. If not, pop down to reception and arrange for a second room at 50% daily rate.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dannyrado
Apologies for revisiting this old thread.

Is this discount available at any stage? I.e. I would book one room as a diamond, check in, see what they give me and if it's sufficient for the family fine. If not, pop down to reception and arrange for a second room at 50% daily rate.
The risk is that connecting rooms may not be available and your base room category may be sold out. But in general it can can be done same day - don't know if frond desk can do it - we always called the reservations.
As a diamond i would check with hotel in advance if they can confirm smth bigger (although IME reaching hotels in US is harder than in Asia or Europe).
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:57 pm

I've seen this (and done this) with Hyatt infrequently and Marriott frequently as a "battlefield situation." It typically begins with me trying to check in while my wife attempts to corral our young kids that are hopped up after sitting on a plane for a few hours. The front desk agent says, "sir, perhaps you would like to have a second room - adjoining - for 50% of the rate you paid for the first room." My answer - 4 out of 4 times in the last year - "congrats on the upsell - done deal."
Old Dec 5, 2013, 9:53 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

any recent news on this front? Looking perhaps to spend a short break in DC; thinking about the PH. Debating between two rooms or booking a suite via the jetsetter route.... Can I use a virtuoso rate for the first room?

Thanks
FDW
Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:33 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
any recent news on this front? Looking perhaps to spend a short break in DC; thinking about the PH. Debating between two rooms or booking a suite via the jetsetter route.... Can I use a virtuoso rate for the first room?

Thanks
FDW
Hi,

Hyatt offers a Family Plan. If available, the second connecting room can be up to 50% off. If you would like me to check availability, please let me know via PM.

Sincerely,

Nick B.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.