Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thanks Hyatt - Fabulous Florida Vacation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat

Last week I was reminded in a very stong way the value of Hyatt Diamond status and the GP program overall. It is sometimes easy to forget what a great program it still is, despite some of the set-backs in recent years with the downgrading of promotions and other clawbacks (HSIA issues at some hotels etc.) I had a great family vacation in Florida last week at 3 different Hyatt's.

1) Checked in on an inexpensive rate at the Hyatt Orlando Airport shortly after Midnight on January 1. I had used a suite upgrade certificate directly with the hotel to grab a junior suite for our family of 5 (three small children). Check-in staff were exceptional friendly and offered to send up a cot which we accepted. Two exceedingly friendly female Hyatt employees show up at the room within 5 minutes, deliver the cot and also help to set up the sofa bed. The next morning all five of us had a a full complimentary breakfast, the value of which equalled our room charge. Total 5 star service and amazing staff ^

2) Next day we travelled to Clearwater Beach and spent three nights (point redemption) at the Hyatt Clearwater Beach. We were given a one category upgrade on check-in along with the complimentary internet/breakfast benefit. Room was a one bedroom suite and nicely furnished, although a little light on the kitchen cookware and utensils (4 forks, 4 spoons etc. doesn't work well with a family of 5). Breakfast in the restaurant was very high quality. Location, hotel and beach were all great. I would give this hotel a 4 out of 5 and would definitely go back.

3) Spent another three nights (paid stay) at the Hyatt Coconut Point Resort, which was the highlight of our trip. Definitely a world class resort. I booked a AAA breakfast rate since it was competitive and would give us options over the typically spartan lounge offering. We used a suite upgrade certificate to book into a Bay Suite and were further upgraded to an Island Suite. Room was huge, although the layout and some of the furnishings were a little odd. Spectatcular views of the Gulf and pool areas, as well as the famous sunsets. Grounds are very reminiscent of higher end Hawaiin resorts, and the pools were amazing. The front desk staff were exceedingly friendly. Only real downside was very poor soundproofing in our unit (could hear conversations in the hallway as well as elevator traffic), as well as the ridiculous "upcharge" for premium internet for Diamonds. Everything else was top notch and the lounge access coupled with breakfast in the restaurant added a huge amount of value. Five star experience overall and we can't wait to go back.

I'm a big Starwood fan and have been happy with the program changes in the past year (e.g. realistic lifetime status, new tier levels, premium internet is a standard Platinum benefit etc.). I also frequent Hilton and IHG (lots of business stays each year). Having said that, I have been gravitating more of my family stays towards Hyatt due to the strong combination of suite upgrades confirmed at time of booking and guaranteed breakfast benefits at hotels that don't have a lounge. Hyatt also maintains a more consistant guest service experience IMHO. Those things matter, especially when travelling on precious leisure time.

Thanks Hyatt for hosting a fabulous vacation and re-confirming why I earn Diamond status in the GP program!

P.S. Please fix the Premium internet access issue for Diamond members - it is extremely aggravating to have properties throttle down the standard internet and then upsell Diamonds to regular internet speeds.

SG

Last edited by Snow Goose; Jan 11, 2013 at 10:54 am
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Snow Goose
Last week I was reminded in a very stong way the value of Hyatt Diamond status and the GP program overall. It is sometimes easy to forget what a great program it still is, despite some of the set-backs in recent years with the downgrading of promotions and other clawbacks (HSIA issues at some hotels etc.) I had a great family vacation in Florida last week at 3 different Hyatt's.

1) Checked in on an inexpensive rate at the Hyatt Orlando Airport shortly after Midnight on January 1. I had used a suite upgrade certificate directly with the hotel to grab a junior suite for our family of 5 (three small children). Check-in staff were exceptional friendly and offered to send up a cot which we accepted. Two exceedingly friendly female Hyatt employees show up at the room within 5 minutes, deliver the cot and also help to set up the sofa bed. The next morning all five of us had a a full complimentary breakfast, the value of which equalled our room charge. Total 5 star service and amazing staff ^

2) Next day we travelled to Clearwater Beach and spent three nights (point redemption) at the Hyatt Clearwater Beach. We were given a one category upgrade on check-in along with the complimentary internet/breakfast benefit. Room was a one bedroom suite and nicely furnished, although a little light on the kitchen cookware and utensils (4 forks, 4 spoons etc. doesn't work well with a family of 5). Breakfast in the restaurant was very high quality. Location, hotel and beach were all great. I would give this hotel a 4 out of 5 and would definitely go back.

3) Spent another three nights (paid stay) at the Hyatt Coconut Point Resort, which was the highlight of our trip. Definitely a world class resort. I booked a AAA breakfast rate since it was competitive and would give us options over the typically spartan lounge offering. We used a suite upgrade certificate to book into a Bay Suite and were further upgraded to an Island Suite. Room was huge, although the layout and some of the furnishings were a little odd. Spectatcular views of the Gulf and pool areas, as well as the famous sunsets. Grounds are very reminiscent of higher end Hawaiin resorts, and the pools were amazing. The front desk staff were exceedingly friendly. Only real downside was very poor soundproofing in our unit (could hear conversations in the hallway as well as elevator traffic), as well as the ridiculous "upcharge" for premium internet for Diamonds. Everything else was top notch and the lounge access coupled with breakfast in the restaurant added a huge amount of value. Five star experience overall and we can't wait to go back.

I'm a big Starwood fan and have been happy with the program changes in the past year (e.g. realistic lifetime status, new tier levels, premium internet is a standard Platinum benefit etc.). I also frequent Hilton and IHG (lots of business stays each year). Having said that, I have been gravitating more of my family stays towards Hyatt due to the strong combination of suite upgrades confirmed at time of booking and guaranteed breakfast benefits at hotels that don't have a lounge. Hyatt also maintains a more consistant guest service experience IMHO. Those things matter, especially when travelling on precious leisure time.

Thanks Hyatt for hosting a fabulous vacation and re-confirming why I earn Diamond status in the GP program!

P.S. Please fix the Premium internet access issue for Diamond members - it is extremely aggravating to have properties throttle down the standard internet and then upsell Diamonds to regular internet speeds.

SG
I echo the kudos for MCO HR. The staff there is great. I am generalky always upgraded without using a suite ug.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.