Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

2013 Modifications to Stay Certificates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Modifications to Stay Certificates

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:50 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
To receive stay credit, you must pay an eligible rate. Stay certificates do not qualify as an eligible rate and so do not earn stay credit or points. Think of them as award stays.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:59 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by baliktad
To receive stay credit, you must pay an eligible rate. Stay certificates do not qualify as an eligible rate and so do not earn stay credit or points. Think of them as award stays.
Exactly - occasional mistakes do happen and you get stay credit / points but don't count on it.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I feel they are (deliberately) vague about this... when reading the FAQ's on the certificates this is what is mentioned:

Do I receive Hyatt Gold Passport points when I redeem Hyatt Certificates and Gift Cards?
Yes, any payment or redemption made with a Hyatt Gift Card or Certificate for goods or services that would otherwise be eligible for Hyatt Gold Passport rewards are eligible for the same rewards. The person using the card or certificate must be a member of Hyatt Gold Passport.

But as mentioned earlier the T&C's contain this:

Hyatt Gold Passport points will not be given for the-value of this certificate.

So a little confusing. But I guess the statement here is that to redeem the certificates you are using a rate that isn't eligible, even though it is booked through Hyatt (which would normally qualify as an eligible rate).
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RTW1
So a little confusing. But I guess the statement here is that to redeem the certificates you are using a rate that isn't eligible, even though it is booked through Hyatt (which would normally qualify as an eligible rate).
I think they are also trying (unsuccessfully) to differentiate between Gift Certificates (the use of which does not affect earning, as they are treated as cash) and Stay Certificates.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
How come there's little correlation between the level of certificate needed and the level of the property with regard to redeeming points for free nights? In other words, there are plenty of level six properties that can be had for an elite cert and some lower level properties that cost more.
Examples?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
So may I ask, is there much benefit to these? They seem expensive and don't seem to count toward elite status, so I am confused...
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Insomnia Cookies
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
So may I ask, is there much benefit to these? They seem expensive and don't seem to count toward elite status, so I am confused...
In many cases, no. In some cases, they can be great discounts. For instance, in November 2011 I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Istanbul. It's Choice, so about $150 per night, when the nightly rate was about twice that. My parents needed a one-night stay before a cruise departing from Vancouver. HR Vancouver is Choice and they could walk to the cruise terminal, very good for them at $150.

It's another option, like award stays with points are options. Often cash is better, but sometimes it really works.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
That makes sense. Thanks.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's also a nice present to give to others...which is the stay certificate's original intent.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by Renard
Yes. However, my point is that such a thread might be helpful in knowing which properties actually have had availability in the past to use these certificates. It might help eliminate time consuming and frustrating calls to Hyatt that seem to always end in that the certificates are unusable. It would be best if we could check usability online.
You can check availability online....

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...djusts-prices/
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by peteropny
With advance planning I've never had a problem using these certs when I wanted to - I don't think a thread with experiences would be helpful due to dates etc.
Peteropny - let me guess you also have no problem using Skymiles to book tickets on Delta flights

Try using a certificate to Maui or Kauai - not going to happen.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:59 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by smilee
Peteropny - let me guess you also have no problem using Skymiles to book tickets on Delta flights

Try using a certificate to Maui or Kauai - not going to happen.
No problem booking DL awards - although low mileage awards are rare.

I've never tried it at Maui or Kauai - but availability at most domestic city hotels and most international properties aren't a problem.

I'm just pointing out that such a list will not be very useful - members may of course try to compile a list but I won't be managing it in any way.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Examples?
here are a few:

Cat 6 properties in the US. that accept a "lower" value cert:
Highlands Inn, Grand Hyatt Kauai, Park Hyatt Chicago, Andaz 5th Ave, Grand Hyatt NY--Inspire
Hyatt Huntington Beach, Andaz Wall St., Park Hyatt Washington DC, HR Lake Tahoe--Elite

Hotels that are Category 5 or less that only take Exclusive: Hyatt 48 Lex, Hyatt Place NYC (cat 4),

Park Hyatt Melbourne (Cat 4) and Park Hyatt Sydney (Cat 6) are both Inspire
In Japan, HR Hakone (Cat 6), HR Tokyo (Cat 3) and HR Osaka (Cat 2) are all Elite.
In India, Grand Hyatt Mumbai and HR Delhi (both Cat 4) only take Inspire, putting them equal to Cat 6 hotels in a lot of places (like the PH Tokyo).
In the London, the Hyatt Churchill (Cat 6) and the Andaz (Cat 5) are both Elite. The Hyatt Birmingham is only one cert category lower but it's a cat 3.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
here are a few:

Cat 6 properties in the US. that accept a "lower" value cert:
Highlands Inn, Grand Hyatt Kauai, Park Hyatt Chicago, Andaz 5th Ave, Grand Hyatt NY--Inspire
Hyatt Huntington Beach, Andaz Wall St., Park Hyatt Washington DC, HR Lake Tahoe--Elite

Hotels that are Category 5 or less that only take Exclusive: Hyatt 48 Lex, Hyatt Place NYC (cat 4),

Park Hyatt Melbourne (Cat 4) and Park Hyatt Sydney (Cat 6) are both Inspire
In Japan, HR Hakone (Cat 6), HR Tokyo (Cat 3) and HR Osaka (Cat 2) are all Elite.
In India, Grand Hyatt Mumbai and HR Delhi (both Cat 4) only take Inspire, putting them equal to Cat 6 hotels in a lot of places (like the PH Tokyo).
In the London, the Hyatt Churchill (Cat 6) and the Andaz (Cat 5) are both Elite. The Hyatt Birmingham is only one cert category lower but it's a cat 3.
Thanks for that.

My best guess would be that there is no global protocol, and that each property is free to make these decisions as they see fit to based on local business conditions.

For example, there is no mention of stay certificates on the Japanese Hyatt site, so I would guess that they are not well-known there and are used much less frequently, so they set a lower threshold in an attempt to increase business.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: FSPP, Virtuoso, Belmond Bellini Club, STARS, Hyatt Privé, Peninsula PenClub, etc.
Just wanted to note that although they originally appeared to accept Ultimate Certificates, that was a mistake, and 5 Park Hyatts do not accept *any* stay certificates, not even Ultimate. As you might have guessed, they are: Paris Vendome, Milan, Zurich, Moscow and Maldives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.