Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt DC - strangers in my room at 4:15am

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt DC - strangers in my room at 4:15am

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:52 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Your clarification makes the entire situation sound absolutely horrific. All staff seem to have failed miserably at the GH. By contrast, the staff at the PH are truly exceptional.

Have you provided all of the above information to Hyatt corporate? They can definitely chase the points etc. for you. The question is, what do you want? I entirely understand the principal of the matter, but it doesn't sound like an apology from the GM, or MOD is likely. Hyatt corporate care, will of course, apologise, but is this enough for you?

Personally, I don't know what a police report would achieve. Nothing was stolen and you're unlikely to need to rely on it, unless you plan on suing?

In future, if someone comes to your door that you are unsure of, who is supposed to be a member of the property's security, ask them to get front desk to call the room to confirm their name and position.

You really are quite lucky to be safe. As you said, they could have been tweaking, or violent and that would have been a much worse situation.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Although it's completely normal that you feel this way and would like a full explanation what happened, I would still advise you to be a little more to the point and focus on your own expectations and what you would really want. Just stick to a simple timeline of what happened and how you perceived the behavior of the employees to be less than expected.

A discussion with the GM or anybody else at the hotel is simply not a productive way to proceed and that time has simply passed if you still haven't reached an understanding with the GM by now. Making statement to the GM that he is not fit for the job or his employees are (too) young and clueless might make you feel better but won't help in getting this resolved.

If Hyatt Corporate has started an investigation just wait for that to be concluded and see what kind of conclusion they will reach. It might be good to see how someone that is not directly involved judges the situation. Also don't forget that it was your decision to move hotels (I would have done the same thing) so it's reasonable to bear some of those consequences like the extra time spent, parking, taxi, etc.

The compensation offered in the 108k points and $250 seems very reasonable to me. The $250 seems more than enough to compensate for your extra costs and the points are a nice extra.
And also wait for the final bill to see what's been charged before reaching any conclusions about that. If the hotel really has discounted that by $1200 they might have a point in feeling that you are also behaving unreasonable.

So let some time pass for everybody to do their jobs and also look at what happened with a little more distance..... Do remember that apart from having been woken in the middle of the night, having an argument at the entrance of your room and receiving bad service from the hotel nothing really severe has happened. So things like police reports are simply not relevant.

Last edited by RTW1; Jan 4, 2013 at 7:33 am
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Bringin' out my soapbox....

Many of the early posts in this thread have now been deleted, but they absolutely ripped the OP for posting - up to and including how it was "no big deal" and that she was "ridiculous" for expecting anything from the hotel, as drunks were not their responsibility.

As it turns out, she had a very legitimate complaint.

Although it is true her original post wasn't completely coherent and fact filled. I think we all can understand why as the entire story has unfolded.

So - perhaps we need to be a little more patient with posters, especially those new to the forum.

Hyatt was always, IMO, one of the most friendly, courteous forums on FT. I hate to see us lose that...YMMV.

Climbing off the soapbox now...
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM +MM; SPG LT Plat; Hyatt Diamond
wow - didn't think I left anything out, but to to m0hamed's point, I want 2 things - the points as negotiated with Amir/GM and an update on what happened.
If security and a manager had come to me the next morning, made a full representation of what happened, where things had gone wrong, and what they were doing to fix it, I would have accepted some apology gesture of points or credit and moved on. How can I say, yes they did/are doing everything they can if I don't know what happened?

For example - let's say it turns out the women weren't registered at the Hyatt Regency and were just trolling the halls of the Grand trying to exploit a weakness they discovered. When confronted by security, they just say, oh we must be at the Regency, not the Grand. That's closer to criminal than 2 people too drunk to know where they are. Both fit the facts I know. The hotel almost seems determined not to let me know - honestly, if I distill what I know for sure, I still don't have a very clear picture of what happened and why security never showed up?
If Hyatt Corporate or the hotel can't get me basic answers on this, I would become less likely to stay so much with Hyatt in the future, certainly not the 80 paid and award nights I had last year.
Oh, and there is no $1200 credit, just the $250 as discussed with Amir. I assume the GM was counting my diamond benes.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I would recommend filing a complaint with the DC police. You probably don't have to go there to do so; phone them and ask where you should mail the written complaint to. (Possibly you'd file it with your local police who would forward it.)
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
I would recommend filing a complaint with the DC police. You probably don't have to go there to do so; phone them and ask where you should mail the written complaint to. (Possibly you'd file it with your local police who would forward it.)
This may be a good idea. That someone was given unauthorized access to your room is a huge problem, as is the unprofessional behavior of the security guard. I would have called the police on the spot.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by RTW1
Although it's completely normal that you feel this way and would like a full explanation what happened, I would still advise you to be a little more to the point and focus on your own expectations and what you would really want. Just stick to a simple timeline of what happened and how you perceived the behavior of the employees to be less than expected.

A discussion with the GM or anybody else at the hotel is simply not a productive way to proceed and that time has simply passed if you still haven't reached an understanding with the GM by now. Making statement to the GM that he is not fit for the job or his employees are (too) young and clueless might make you feel better but won't help in getting this resolved.

If Hyatt Corporate has started an investigation just wait for that to be concluded and see what kind of conclusion they will reach. It might be good to see how someone that is not directly involved judges the situation. Also don't forget that it was your decision to move hotels (I would have done the same thing) so it's reasonable to bear some of those consequences like the extra time spent, parking, taxi, etc.

The compensation offered in the 108k points and $250 seems very reasonable to me. The $250 seems more than enough to compensate for your extra costs and the points are a nice extra.
And also wait for the final bill to see what's been charged before reaching any conclusions about that. If the hotel really has discounted that by $1200 they might have a point in feeling that you are also behaving unreasonable.

So let some time pass for everybody to do their jobs and also look at what happened with a little more distance..... Do remember that apart from having been woken in the middle of the night, having an argument at the entrance of your room and receiving bad service from the hotel nothing really severe has happened. So things like police reports are simply not relevant.
+1. The compensation seems fair. The GH is apparently having some staffing issues. Let corporate get to the bottom of things. Filing a police report is likely a hassel and waste of valuable family time.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:20 am
Original Poster

I agree the compensation is fair, which is why I accepted it. The hotel has not yet made good, so I am waiting and hope they will come through on their word.
I am very very grateful that nothing worse happened, but that doesn't change the fact that it was not thanks to any action from the hotel. Obviously, if something worse had god-forbid happened, this would be a very different conversation and points would probably not be a factor at all.
I can take these points and use them for another vacation at a Hyatt, hopefully safer and more relaxing than this was. A cash compensation can be used anywhere while the points encourage me to give another chance to Hyatt - even the Grand Hyatt DC - although I've not seen the transparency yet that would convince me to return to this specific hotel.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by monoflight
I agree the compensation is fair, which is why I accepted it. The hotel has not yet made good, so I am waiting and hope they will come through on their word.
I am very very grateful that nothing worse happened, but that doesn't change the fact that it was not thanks to any action from the hotel. Obviously, if something worse had god-forbid happened, this would be a very different conversation and points would probably not be a factor at all.
I can take these points and use them for another vacation at a Hyatt, hopefully safer and more relaxing than this was. A cash compensation can be used anywhere while the points encourage me to give another chance to Hyatt - even the Grand Hyatt DC - although I've not seen the transparency yet that would convince me to return to this specific hotel.
If you choose to use the points in DC, you should stay at the Park Hyatt. Have you already contacted corporate about this? They need to know.

If the hotel has not resolved the matter already, I do not think "waiting and hoping for them to come through on their word" is a good strategy. As others have repeatedly advised you, you should contact Hyatt consumer affairs.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jan 6, 2013 at 7:44 pm
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I've contacted corporate, have a case file # and am waiting to hear from them some time mid-late week. Hopefully, I'll get some additional info from that. Also, I have a friend looking into the police report thing, and am going to wait a couple days until I hear from Hyatt cust care.
I was thinking about the entire situation and decided to call the "acting weekend GM" Amir and touch base with him about the points. I left a brief message that I was concerned that not all the points had been posted and I wanted to touch base with him since you can't fix what you don't know about.
He called back and confirmed that we had spoken about 4 nights in a suite + credit as compensation, but was at first adamant that it equals 4 x 18,000 points. (doesn't matter, since they'd only deposited 60k anyway!) I emailed him the link on HGP.com, but, while he seemed extra annoyed, I am left with a sense he will fix it.

Specific question for the board - do you think I should make Hyatt customer service(referencing my file #) aware of this thread? They might get a better idea of the info I'm looking for, but I'd be concerned there might be a downside. Thoughts?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:08 pm

Given how active Hyatt is on this board, I would be shocked if they did not already know about it. Not like there are a ton of cases like yours, so it would not be hard to figure out who you are.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by monoflight
Specific question for the board - do you think I should make Hyatt customer service(referencing my file #) aware of this thread? They might get a better idea of the info I'm looking for, but I'd be concerned there might be a downside. Thoughts?
Why don't you just wait a few days for them to get back to you and see what the result is?

Without wanting to sound too harsh, a little patience sometimes goes a long way. Let Hyatt Corporate do what they promised to do, you already have opened a file number with them.

And for bringing this thread to their attention.... Not really very useful in my opinion without some serous redacting. I wouldn't take it very seriously otherwise (not that I feel you don't have a serious complaint, but adequate compensation already seems to have been offered).
Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:25 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by antonius66
Given how active Hyatt is on this board, I would be shocked if they did not already know about it. Not like there are a ton of cases like yours, so it would not be hard to figure out who you are.
+1. I had an issue once, which I posted on FT in the evening...but had decided to wait until the AM before discussing with the hotel. Within 2 hours an MOD called me to discuss the problem and offer resolution...even tho I had never spoken directly with the hotel!

Last edited by sophiegirl; Jan 8, 2013 at 5:14 am
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:56 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I've just deleted a bunch of posts that discusses members and not the situation directly. No more of this or we'll have to lock the thread again.

Peteropny - co-mod - hyatt
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:01 am

This is becoming a common problem at Grand Hyatt DC apparently. Someone got raped last week in her room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.